Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/08/2006, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

DIY Sinusoidal valve (oceans motions replica, sorta)

SOooo I'm making this sinusoidal valve for my new 65 gallon tank (4'x16"x20"). Work might be a little slow, but its coming along. I was kinda inspired by the SCWD mods, and Weathersons sinosoidal valve. I'm gonna make a valve like weathersons also, but this one is on the return. I
So its basically a 2" pvc body with 4, 1" outlets, and a 1" input in the bottom.
This is just a prototype, I'm gonna buy magnets, and a motor and such and make a new final one. I'll take pictures at every step.

Here are the pictures...
(Sorry for the blurry ones, didn't have good lighting)
Housing

Drum

Plan
Old 11/08/2006, 11:35 PM
One Millionth Poster

excellent, cant wait to follow this. I'm intrigued how you will seal it.
Old 11/09/2006, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

The bottom will have a flange so i can take the drum out for maitenence, the top will be sealed. IN the drum there is a STRONG rare earth magnet. THere will also be on attached to the motor, so as the motor spins it will spin the drum. I think i'm gonna be remaking the drum tommorow, i'll post pictures of all the steps, as well as getting better pictures.
Old 11/09/2006, 03:08 AM
El Jefe de WRS

I have a suggestion. I made a Sinusoidal valve based on weatherson's design. If you order the shroud/shaft/ etc from a Iwaki pump you just use the seal from the pump. Very slick and effective.

http://www.weatherson.com/sinusoidal_valve.htm
Old 11/09/2006, 03:45 AM
Registered Member

^^^^ very sweet

-GRIMREEFER

Gig'em Aggies, Beat the Hell out of t.u.
Old 11/09/2006, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

i looked into those parts but they're pretty expensive to individually buy, and so i figure for a couple of dollars i can get a couple magnets. You also won't see the magnets and they'll all be sealed.
Old 11/09/2006, 02:33 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Thats true. In a thread where weatherson and I talked about my attempt at one, thats what he suggested as well... using rare earth magnets to eliminate the need for the sealed shaft to pass through. I believe that is how the newer 4-way oceansmotions works as well.
Old 11/09/2006, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

alright cool. I'm making a new one right now (Drum) with many pictures. SO that was just sort of a teaser...
Should be done by tonight if i don't get distracted, but i'm a teenager so you never know

I think the magnets should work they're gonna be 1.5"x.25 rings
through lika a quarter inch of acrylic and an 1/8" wax stuff (its machining wax stuff).
Old 11/09/2006, 05:31 PM
Lemming

what is the oceansmotions website? I had at one point of time, but then my computer died:P
Old 11/09/2006, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

So tonight i made my new drum
heres a bunch of pictures. I basically poured made a mold out of 2 Inch pvc taped down onto a board. Poured the wax into the mold, waited for it to cool (it shrunk alot and sucked itself in), cut it to size on my miter saw, then drilled all appropriate holes. I can answer any questions you have on the process any suggestions would be great. heres the pictuers (theres a BUNCH, sorry dialuppers)

Old 11/09/2006, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

Old 11/09/2006, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

Old 11/09/2006, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

So that's the "machining wax". I never heard of that stuff. I always thought of waxes being too weak to be used in such a way. So is that stuff pretty tough or is it similar to paraffin wax?

How much was that wax too? I used some plural component material a few times in a PVC mold and it cured sort of like a plastic. The only problem with my experience is that my PVC was 'imperfect' which made it bind up when I spun it in the pipe.

Looks very cool so far!
Old 11/09/2006, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

thanks. I actually got it from my middle school tech teacher who i go to see every once and a while. I'm not sure if its called machining wax , but they are blocks that are Blue (of course) pretty tough and machine super easily. It would have been used in her cnc machine in her lab so the kids wouldn't ruin the bits on metal and stuff. Its pretty tough stuff, I can't break or bend it. I really have to try to scratch it with my fingernail, Its good stuff, i just have to buy the magnets online, and some acrylic. Its actually a tiny bit loose (it shrunk a bit) so i'm gonna rub a thin layer of High vacuum grease on it its a thick inert silicone lubricant, my dad brought me a tube home from his lab (he's a nuerologist at duke).
Old 11/09/2006, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Looks awesome so far. Nice job!

Are you shooting for a particular clearance between the drum and body? I'm assuming that by molding the drum in the same size PVC as the body that you're going for a nice fit.
Old 11/09/2006, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

it has about a mm small i wish it were a bit tighter but the lubricant should seal it up.
Old 11/09/2006, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

With some back pressure you might get some bleeding around the cylinder, but I'm sure it would be minimal and you'll get the result that you are looking for.

I think I'll do some searching for that wax. It could come in very handy for many different things. Can't wait to see it completed!
Old 11/09/2006, 10:21 PM
Premium Member

Here's where I buy my machinable wax.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMK3?PMK0NO=766421
Old 11/20/2006, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Anything new?
Old 11/20/2006, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

I wish...
I've been slacking off a bit in calculus so my parents won't let me order anything offline. so i'm working on my calculus right now (i'm only a junior in highschool) so There should be an upgrade in a little bit hopefully. sorry
Old 12/26/2006, 02:03 AM
Gold Star Recipient

bump
Old 12/26/2006, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

I wouldn't worry about the lubricant. It sounds like it would add more things to your tank than the good that it will do. Plus the water around the wax will be under a small amount of pressure, eventually washing the lubricant out of the housing and into the system. It's a waste of time in my opinion. But your design is solid. Keep it up!
Old 12/26/2006, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Thanks a lot guys, I should start working on it soon. Thanks for being patient and keeping up with it. I need a consistant paycheck not just a summer job haha.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

Well since i got a little push from RandyStacyE i've decided to restart this project. I originally planned on using 1 magnet, but now have decided on a ring of smaller magnets. I'll probably end up using some 1/4 inch in diameter, 1/8 inch thick. right now I need some advice on a motor to use, so any suggestions would be great.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:47 AM
TRC Leader