Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/08/2006, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Yellow Sea Whip Gorgonian

Here's my Yellow Sea Whip Gorgonian. This guy really brightens up my tank and gives it that "reefy" look.

God bless,
Basset
Isiah 40:31
Old 09/10/2006, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

That's awesome!!! I've never had one before. Are they easy to keep?
Old 09/11/2006, 03:02 AM
Premium Member

i've had one for a long time they do great! Just give em high flow and cyclopeeze or similiar food, they are one of my favorite pieces
Old 09/11/2006, 04:01 AM
Gold Star Recipient

Is there a scientific name for that or a place online that sells them?
Old 09/11/2006, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

I'm not sure about the scientific name but I purchased it from www.sealifeflorida.com.

This gorgo. is pretty hardy and grows fairly rapidly (can be good and bad).

God bless,
Basset
Old 09/11/2006, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info Ryanqk!!!
Old 09/12/2006, 06:13 AM
Premium Member

no problem, they are fairly common at the LFS stores around here, be aware that the red gorgonias are harder to keep, but this yellow variety is pretty easy to keep and very pretty, they often have deep purple spots where the polyps come out.
Ryan
Old 09/12/2006, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

I'll have to start huntin' for 'em because I've only seen one around here, in 2 years.
Old 09/24/2006, 12:37 AM
Delaware Reef Club & DVRC

Do you have any other gorgs? If so are you willing to swap frags?

This is the same thing, but under acntinic light only.

Old 09/24/2006, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

I have the yellow seawhip too. It's a nice bright gorg. I believe it's photosythetic so it doesn't need supplemental feeding (or at least isn't dependant upon feeding). Mine get DT's and cyclopeze as I feed other corals in the tank that and they get a squirt sent thier way when I'm feeding.

Gordonious, you mentioned trading frags. Have you ever shipped gorgs before? if so how? I had a purple one sent to me seveal months ago but it didn't make it. It was sent priority and in the heat of the summer so maybe that was too much for it?
Old 09/24/2006, 08:45 PM

cmsargent I am new to frag trading. The only coral I had until today was yellow gorgonian. I had one that I had to split when I got it. Now I have six rocks with gorgs on them and three actually have two on them. I would not know how to ship and I honestly do not know what size most frags are that people trade.
Sorry to get you excited, but I don't have the info you want. Definitely let me know if you find out some info on shipping them and if I find anything I will let you know as well.
Btw the yellow I have relies primarily on being fed and does best in low lighting with medium flow.

Jon
Old 09/25/2006, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmsargent
I have the yellow seawhip too. It's a nice bright gorg. I believe it's photosythetic so it doesn't need supplemental feeding (or at least isn't dependant upon feeding). Mine get DT's and cyclopeze as I feed other corals in the tank that and they get a squirt sent thier way when I'm feeding.

Gordonious, you mentioned trading frags. Have you ever shipped gorgs before? if so how? I had a purple one sent to me seveal months ago but it didn't make it. It was sent priority and in the heat of the summer so maybe that was too much for it?
I shipped this yellow sea whip out a few months ago using USPS guaranteed 2 day service and it did fine. The frag was shipped in a drinking water thermos to protect from hot/cold and all was well.

God bless,
Basset
Old 09/26/2006, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

A good way to ship gorgs is to rubberband the base onto a peice of styrofoam, and then let them float upside down in a bag or container of water.
Old 09/26/2006, 05:33 PM

slick idea thanks ghost
Old 09/26/2006, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmsargent
Actually the yellow gorgs are non photosynthetic. The easiest way to tell the photo from the nonphoto is the color of the polyps. White polyps are nonphoto and brown/tan polyps are photo.

And just for the record, the yellow and the red have the exact same corla , just a different color morph so their care and hardiness is basically the same.
Old 09/26/2006, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

I have a question. One of my LFS's has a red gorg. with yellow polyps, would that be a non-photo or a photosynthetic species. I have a tan one now but would like to get one that has more color.