Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/25/2006, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

OT: Scuba Diving

Hello All,

Just curious who else in our club is a scuba diver? I am recently certified, and am looking for people to go diving with. I don't always need a dive buddy per se because Stacy is also a diver. However, there are occassions where I would like to go diving, and she can't. I would love to go diving with someone who is more experienced and willing to show me the rope. All my diving so far has been shore diving, but I would love to try boat diving.

I have done a few dives at Monterey, and will be going back there on Sunday. I have only dove Folsom Lake for my checkout dive.
In mid-September, Stacy and I are heading off to Cozumel for our honeymoon and lots of diving. She already bought her underwater camera, so hopefully we will have some nice pictures.

Right now - I have all my gears except for my wetsuit and tank. (Ok - I have my 3mm wetsuit for warm water.) I am in the process of looking at a drysuit (Bare XCD2 Tech, Bare Trilam HD, DUI CLX450, or DUI FLX50/50). If you have a drysuit, I'd love to hear your experiences.

Anyway - if anyone is ever looking to do some diving, let me know. Also - any recommendation for local diving would be awesome!

Thanks
Minh

BTW - Sierra (our 12 year old) is probably going to get certified in October.
Old 08/25/2006, 11:58 AM
Hab SoSlI' Quch!

I dive, but I've only done it in Hi. I'm too chicken to do it in Monterey.

Congratulations! I had no idea you were engaged!
Old 08/25/2006, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

Yep - Getting married the day after the September MARS meeting.

BTW - I am sure Monterey doesn't compare to Hawaii. However, I wasn't cold while underwater at all. The two piece 7mm suit keep me quite warm. I only got cold while waiting to put on the suit or when taking the suit off. With a two piece 7mm, there's a lot of weight that is needed. Great work out climbing those stairs when you are fully suited. The reason why Stacy and I are looking at drysuits is so that we can remain dry after the dive. BTW - Monterey diving is actually really neat. There's a lot of life down there. Stacy and I are going diving on Sunday, so hopefully we will have some pictures to post.
Old 08/25/2006, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

You'll like Cozumel. If the DM's are concerned about your newbie skills before going in the water, just tell them you got certified at Monterey and they'll be fine with you. From a reefkeeper's perspective, Cozumel is good for sponges, a few corals and anenomes, small shrimps and crabs, and a few varieties of fish. How about a closed brain coral the size of a VW bug?

Look for Royal Grammas below 40 feet, in somewhat dim areas, in among coral heads with lots of holes for them to hide in. You might see a group of 50 or more almost within arm's reach, but they will stay within a foot or so of their holes and go in when you get close.

My favorite fish from Cozumel is the French Angel (it's in my company logo), and you'll see some of those along with Gray Angels.

Before you invest in the drysuit, try Coz, and Kona, Hawaii. You may decide, like a lot of other people that CA diving isn't what you want to do if you can go to the more tropical places.

To see tropical fish like we might have in our aquariums, Kona is really good-better than anywhere in the Caribbean. We are used to seeing a few yellow tangs in a store, but in Hawaii you'll swim among schools of hundreds of tangs. Foot-long Coris wrasses are everywhere. Triggers and butteryflies of several varieties too, some in schools of hundreds. As I approached the water for my first time in Hawaii I saw a pair of Moorish Idols swimming in a foot of water right where I was about to step.

Best places in Kona for fish are Kahalu'u Beach Park 4 miles south of Kailua-Kona, and Place of Refuge about 20 miles south of K-K. Both have excellent snorkeling and P of R has good shore diving too. Another excellent spot is Kealakekua Bay just north of P of R. Mated butterflies everywhere, thousands and thousands of fish, and dolphins that spend part of every day swimming in the bay. Get on a plane in SFO at 9 am, and you can be in the water by 2pm local time.

If you want to see acres of hard corals like we grow in our tanks, Fiji is really good.

It's educational to see our corals and fish in their natural environment so we can better mimic that for them in our tanks. Pay close attention to the depths where various corals and fish are found, and their light levels and the color temperature of that light (color changes because of the amount of water filtering out the reds, yellows, etc.)

Examples might be a red hawkfish. I've only found them in darkish areas, below 100 feet. Or the Royal Grammas, never in bright light in the wild. Flame Angels stay hidden mostly, or within a foot or two of shelter, and they're below 50 feet in dimmer light. In Hawaii they are always swimming amongst broken staghorn coral. Clownfish and their anenomes in Fiji were within 10-15 feet of the surface, in rather turbulent water that moves back and forth every 10-15 seconds.

Many of the SPS corals we grow are 20-50 feet below the surface (relatively different amounts of blue light) in places where the water moves one way at a relatively gentle rate for 3-6 hours, then very little movement for an hour or two, then back the other direction for 3-6 hours. The places I've been with the most coral have water temps between 78-82 degrees. If it's different from this within the same region there is much less coral. In one little bay in Fiji that was 15-20 feet deep there was lots of microalgae growing (village nearby) and about the only things I saw thriving were gangs of Humu Humu triggers and some bright blue SPS corals. These animals have chosen these places so we should try to give them what they prefer.

One difference though is that our tanks aren't supposed to have the predators! I have two blue damsels and a Royal gramma that are near 10 years old-they'd never last that long in the wild.

In my tank I have one or two fish or corals from each of my favorite places to dive-It's a nice reminder of my visits.
Old 08/25/2006, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

You know we are, and Arlan is always up for another partner, he'd love to go more than I would and I'm not ready for Monterey but he is.

Warren - I've heard that before, guess they figure if you did it, liked it and survived then you know what you are doing.

Rian
Old 08/25/2006, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Warren - I've heard that before, guess they figure if you did it, liked it and survived then you know what you are doing.

Rian
Yes, walking backwards into 3 foot waves with fins on and then trying to find your buddy underwater who is only 20 feet away is nothing like falling off the back of a boat into 84-degree water where you can see 150 feet in any direction. In Coz they will tell you about the current but it's nothing compared to the surge of Monterey. And, you will be warm between dives.

The best dive ops in Cozumel will take you on a boat with a total of 6-8 people and you'll spend most of your surface intervals at "la playa" (the beach), instead of on the boat, so you can relax in a chair under a palm tree, walk around, and have a quesadilla for lunch. "Palancar Gardens" is the dive site with the most to please a reefkeeper.

And when you are done it is, "Una mas cerveza por favor!" Best of the real culture and food is found in the town, 2-10 blocks in/east from the beach. Do try the ice cream. A popular ice cream spot is about 4-6 blocks inland.

As a side trip, this place is fantastico! http://www.dosojos.com/
Old 08/25/2006, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

WarrentG and Rian,

Thanks for the info. Stacy and I are already thinking about taking a vacation next year to Hawaii. I have a friend who lives there, so all we need is airfare. After seeing Rich's presentation on Hawaii - I'd love to make a trip out there.

But at the same time - I loved diving in Monterey. Nothing like hovering in mid-water column. Of just hanging out with a fish is pretty cool. Beside - Monterey is so close by.

Minh
Old 08/25/2006, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WarrenG
And when you are done it is, "Una mas cerveza por favor!"
Even though many drink after diving, it's not a wise thing to do. You increase your chances of getting the bends considerably. That being said, my DM colleges (PADI DM since 92) and I, typically toss a few back after diving, but experience is on our side
Old 08/25/2006, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

Minh, you always have a dive buddy, or even a 3rd, and I'm just looking for an excuse to get wet, and it's looking like the bi-anual dive trips to the other side of the globe won't happen here in the near future (until we get the rest of our sailing certs ).

Are you into eating large gastropods? We can always do a little free diving for abalone. With a tank, I'd be inclined to bring along spear gun for some ling cod, cabezon, or even boney little rock fish.

Marine life looks great to me (especially sitting next to the mashed potatoes)

edit: beers after a day of diving sound great to me Gresh. I haven't met many divers yet that don't drink like fishes.

Last edited by thereefgeek; 08/25/2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08/25/2006, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

One more thing. Try out the 2-peice, 7mm John in Monterey and I guarantee you'll hate it, but I wouldn't invest in the dry suit just yet. I've been in 45 degree water in a 1-peice 7mm O'Neil without a problem (I also wear a 2mm vest under).

Dry suits are SPENDY and rental wet suits (no matter how thick) tend to be all beat up and compressed from use and make you feel cold (no insulation). If you can borrow a 7mm 1-peice from a tiny little man (and not pee in it) you'll be impressed by the warmth and physical mobility. Plus you won't have so much lead on you to keep you under.

Joe and Cathy (former MARS members) moved up to Washington and spend a lot of time in Puget Sound. They both wear drys and the temp is a consistent 42. I figure if Jeni & I get a chance to visit them, we'll be schooling them in our 7mm neoprene.

Here's a good option for far less $$$ than a DUI drysuit and undergarments:
http://www.dolphinscuba.com/catalog/...roducts_id=489

Mine's similar to this, w/o the hood and built-in vest (older model 7000X):
http://www.oneill.com/mens-products....esID=97&id=854

No matter what, comfort for an hour in frigid water is the most important thing. If you're cold (or God forbid Stacy's cold) any dive in California, or elsewhere will suck big time! Try 'em out before a salesman talks you into an expensive suit.
Old 08/25/2006, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

Hey Rich,

Great to hear from you again! I am jealous of your sail boating cert. So when are you buying your sailboat?

I have never been abalone diving, but would love to try it. Can you do abalone diving in a drysuit or do you need a wet suit? I'd also like to try some spearfishing. Stacy doesn't trust me with a speargun, so she won't go in the water with me if I am spearfishing. Something about me being the beneficiary of her life insurance.

BTW - after our last talk, I did try out the Oneille J type suit with hood. Although the spec said that I should fit a small - I was unable to. The drysuit we are leaning towards is the
Bare Trilam HD Tech . It's reasonable price at $1500 each for a complete kit. However, part of me is thinking about just biting the bullet and purchasing the DUI CLX450 for about $2000 each. We also want drysuits so that we can do diving during the winter.

We're heading off to do some diving on Sunday. Stacy is busy on Saturday, so we're heading out at 5 AM on Sunday and returning that evening. It's gonna be a long day. With everything else going on right now - we don't know if we will be able to fit in any other dives until Cozumel. But when we get back - I will definitely give you and Arlan a call to see if you want to do a weekend dive trip.

BTW - I blame you for getting addicted to scuba. The slide show about your trip to the Philipines persuaded me to go for it. I told Stacy about your slide show, and she's been looking forward to seeing it.

Minh
Old 08/25/2006, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Hola Minh!

Not a member...yet...intended to go to this past mtng but got distracted by work.

Anyway....I too got my cert in Folsom Lake....I think our visibility was about 8" that day....but I did find a $1.00 bill so it was worth it....;-)

The wife is preggers now so I am in the market for diving buddie(s)! I have done multiple sites in Monterey(have to check my log) but honestly prefer warmer water when possible.....;-)....Got my deep water cert in January while diving in Roatan and have also done Blue Hole off Belize....talk about Sharks!...I have a funny story regarding my wife and the big "fishes".....(she didn't have her contacts in)...!

Despite my tropical induced cold water aversion I would love to do a river cleanup dive or oddly enough a stream gold hunting dive....for some reason it just seems like fun.

Chris
Old 08/26/2006, 12:35 PM
Chief Cat Herder

Hey Minh

The two charters I know of that operate out of Monterey are Cypress (www.CypressCharters.com) and Monterey Express (www.MontereyExpress.com). IMO, Cypress is a bit better boat. It costs around $80/person for a two or three tank trip.

Most people say the tropics are prettier but I think that can only be said of the fish. Cold water has way more colorful inverts. Still, I'll take warm water over cold any day.

It sounds strange, but I'd stick to shore diving in Monterey until you've got around 25 dives in there. It is easier to get into the water from a boat. It is also easier to get into trouble.

For your first dry suit you might consider a used one. The neck seal is the tricky part. You can get that replaced for around $100. Also, if you are considering a used one have it pressure tested before you finalize the sale.
Old 08/26/2006, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

Dry suits take gettting used to. I never recommended to any of my students to purchase one UNTIL they very comfertable diving.

They require extra care, ie. air pocket all in one foot raises said leg above your head FWIW< they're not exactly "dry" suits once you make the first mistake with the dry suits BC. I always got a great laugh at seeing divers quiver under water in their dry suit. I never get cold in my Henderson super stretch (far better the Oniell, and I can get Oniell at cost )

Rich, I haven't met many non drinking diver either, but I had to out the warning up, because it is true.

Minh, I wouldn't do abalone diving in a $2k suit. You may end up ripping it. You should see the suit I wear when doing it.

Also, do not have a tank w/ you if your diving for abalone. If you going to do ab diving, leave the tank back at the campsite, don't even have it in the car with the abs.
Old 08/26/2006, 01:53 PM
I'm all wet!

Gresh, why wouldn't he want it in the car with the abs?

Its Only $100 Dollars dear....
Old 08/26/2006, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nu2SW
Gresh, why wouldn't he want it in the car with the abs?
Unless your driving home from the trip, having a tank in the car w/ wet wetsuits and abalone can be construed as using said tanks for the capture of abalone. Big no no.

It's kinda grey area, and they can definitly issue tickets, even in error. You may win the battle, but they win the first fight (giving you the ticket). It can be a real hassle. I've had a few friends go thru it, not fun at all.
Old 08/26/2006, 03:27 PM
I'm all wet!

OHHHH, yeah I understand now...I forgot about that no no.

Its Only $100 Dollars dear....
Old 08/26/2006, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

Hey Minh,

I'm so ready to dive. Been diving since 98'. All cold water. Never ponyed up for a warm water trip yet. The Tahoe wanna be is as close as it gets to tropical clarity. Its also a GREAT dive. Plenty warm in late summer for standard 7mm wet suit. Park at D.L. Bliss area and kick south to the rubicon wall. 80 to 100, vis no problem. The rubicon wall is absolutely breathtaking. There are also underwater boulders larger than a house. Deep crevises and the 90 degree edge of the "wall" is fantastic.

I also really enjoy Monterey. As for the cold water. The only way I'm truely comfortable in the cold ocean is with a dry suit. Never have experienced a better dive in the cold as when I have a dry suit on. That's just me though as I get cold easy. Otherwise I have to stay about ~40 ft or less. When the water starts into the 40's I freeze. I own all gear including tanks.

For an after work quicky or weekend day close trip the folsom power house is the best. The current is strong at times but just go with someone who's been a few times and theres plenty of fun to be had. The number of craw dads and golf balls is mind boggleing! One time we found a mountain bike under the rainbow bridge. The best part is surfacing out of nowhere were people are picknicking. The looks on the bystanders faces is priceless when two or more dudes pop outta the water and interupt a chicken wing. There is also a small cave where large cat fish and large carp hang out. I never went in there past "fins deep" as as everybody knows bad things can happen really fast when you are not certified or trained in penetration dives. I would love to set up a dive with some Mars folks!

Robert
Old 08/27/2006, 01:11 AM
Premium Member

That's sick, I've always wanted to dive Tahoe.
Old 08/27/2006, 06:30 AM
Premium Member

Hey Gresham - is there anything water related that you DON'T do?

Rich - went and tried out the Oneill J-type suit with hood, and still didn't like the fit. I think I am going to wait till next summer when Dolphin has their June Madness sale. I'll probably get a wetsuit for abalone diving and for a backup suit for the drysuit.

Robert - I have heard great things about diving at Tahoe. Unfortunately, I am not altitude certified, and haven't done any research into altitude diving. Someone told me that my dive computer should be able to do all the calculation for me, but I don't want to risk anything until I read up more on it. I'd love to try the Folsom power house. Right now - I'd prefer to dive somewhere with not to much current though until I am a little more comfortable with my diving skills.

Brian - I heard the same thing about the Cypress Express. BTW - I have been looking for used drysuits, but not too many people have a small for sale. :P If I get the DUI CLX450 or FLX50/50, I want to get the zip seal system for both the wrist and neck.

Chris - welcome!

Through out the month of September, I am busy. Maybe sometime in October, I will try to plan a dive trip out to Monterey. Or if anyone is up to it, I wouldn't mind taking a day off work and go diving at Pt. Lobos.

Well - time to get ready to head off to Monterey. Meeting some people there at 8:30 for a day of diving.
Old 08/27/2006, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

Water Skiing and wake boarding, don't do either, and jet skiing as well. Jet skis are illegal to use in my neck of the ocean, and it's kinda rough here to do either water skiing or wkae boarding. Some guys pull off some good runs, but man, having fished the bay for 25+ years, I don't recall many "flat" water days

Synconized swimming, another one I don't do, nor have ever done