Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/04/2006, 07:57 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Lightbulb $20 Feed Timer Short and Sweet!

You know what it's for so here we go...............

Start with this.

DSCN0847

then pull cover off (I drilled out the screws because I didn't have a small enough star drive bit)

DSCN0849

Then drill out two more screws to get to this piece in the middle. Now if you look carefully at the white dial you can see a notch on the right side. This is where the metal spring normally sits. I have already flipped it at this stage to take measurements. You can also see that the sping in this position closes the circuit (on) rather than the normal way when it is sitting in the slot is open (off).

DSCN0853

CAREFULLY use a razor blade to trim off most of the dial except where it was resting in the closed (on) position.

DSCN0860

More to come.....................
Don't reply yet please................

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 08/04/2006, 08:04 PM

Now put er back together the same way it came apart. I had to use some supa glue and gorilla tape since I drilled out my screws.

Then I put it in a box and cut a extention cord in half and wired it like so.............

DSCN0862

Slap the cover and stuff on it................

DSCN0867

Yes it say's off when the pump is really on . But hey the timer is acurate wadda ya want?

Finished product. By using the extention cord rather than splicing a pump wire you can plug in whatever you want.

DSCN0868

Hanging on my 29.

DSCN0869

Peace.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 08/04/2006, 08:23 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Uh no I don't know what it's for so why don't you tell us. Thanks.
Old 08/04/2006, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

its a feed timer like the title says

turns off your return pump for a set amount of time so the food doesnt flow into the sump.

Then turns it back on again for you, so you dont forget about it and crash your tank
Old 08/04/2006, 08:28 PM

$20 Feed Timer

Hint: It's in the title.............

Turns off the return pump for up to 1 hour and then turns it back on. So expensive Priscine Energetics MYSIS doesn't become expensive skimmate.

Old 08/04/2006, 08:29 PM
Big Boy Pants

Nice picture of that trophy BIG toe nail

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 08/04/2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by prugs
Nice picture of that trophy BIG toe nail
How you think I cut down that white dial?

Old 08/04/2006, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

Where did you get that timer switch? Is it available at Lowes or did you special order?

Nice job by the way.
Old 08/04/2006, 08:57 PM

Yep, I got it at Lowes.

Old 08/04/2006, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

Nice job dandy

For those who don't like timer surgery, you could wire the timer up to a 120V relay coil. Wire the PUMP to the NC contacts. When the timer is set, the contacts open and stop the pump. When the timer runs out, the coil de-energizes and the pump restarts
Old 08/04/2006, 11:04 PM

Thanks Bean, I actually expected there to be a relay inside the box. I was planning for a evening of soldering. I was pleasantly suprised to find the simple spring and dial mechanism.

Old 08/05/2006, 04:44 AM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

Cool. Definitely good information because this uses the timer that most stores have. Very few have the NC ones without a special order(though they are available).

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 08/05/2006, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

You could always use a regular HD Intermatic timer with 1 ON switch. Turn the timer to OFF, spin the dial until you get some resistance, not very accurate, but much quicker and easier. You can plug anything you want into this idea as well.

rich
Old 08/05/2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GROSSR
You could always use a regular HD Intermatic timer with 1 ON switch. Turn the timer to OFF, spin the dial until you get some resistance, not very accurate, but much quicker and easier. You can plug anything you want into this idea as well.

rich
My wife is in charge of feeding this tank.......like she would do that .

Old 08/06/2006, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

You could save yourself the hassle and get a Single Pole Double throw timer from Intermatic (FD32HW) , and wire it in the normally open position. here is a link to it.
http://www.intermatic.com/images/catalog/pages/048.pdf

This is what I am using to turn off the main circulation pump when feeding, and have it automatically turn back on in case I forget.

sanjay.
Old 08/06/2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanjay
You could save yourself the hassle and get a Single Pole Double throw timer from Intermatic (FD32HW) , and wire it in the normally open position. here is a link to it.
http://www.intermatic.com/images/catalog/pages/048.pdf

This is what I am using to turn off the main circulation pump when feeding, and have it automatically turn back on in case I forget.

sanjay.
Hassle? Seriously it took about half an hour with taking pictures for half the cost of the intermatic timer you linked to.

That said I am going to build another one using a DPDT relay (making it a $23 Feed Timer), because I feel it will be more reliable in the long run (thanks Bean).

Old 08/09/2006, 11:07 PM

Alright now the relay version (no cutting or drilling required).

relay1
relay2
final2
ontank

Old 08/09/2006, 11:13 PM
Premium Member

I told you it would be easy Relays are your friend, just remember that!
Old 08/09/2006, 11:35 PM

Thanks for your help on this one Bean! And yes I bought a couple extra relay's while I was at Radio Shack . Who knows whats next............

Old 08/09/2006, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

No problem... I have a weakness for relays and enjoy making things out of them...

Once built a remote start out of a dozen or so bosch auto relays using the output of an old excalibur alarm. Not pretty, but I did win a bet over the thing. Wheh I used to run a car audio shop (years upon years ago, when tape decks were still as popular as CD decks...) I used to make my installers recite the pin config of those units daily. If I asked a guy to grab a relay and wire a doorlock to the alarm (or anything) and he could not do it after the first week... then he was history. You can use em for anything they are very simple and powerful devices once you get your head wrapped around them (afterall that is what still runs many elevators)
Old 08/10/2006, 12:18 AM

All righty oh master of the relay..............

The only thing that has stopped me from building this auto backup system is that I would like it to run my return pump that is set on a feed timer (differant tank controlled by Neptune). Is there a way I could wire the relay a little differant so that it senses the power loss from the wall and keeps the pump going instead of sensing the loss of power from the pump?

Old 08/10/2006, 12:43 AM
Premium Member

Not sure what your asking...

If you want the setup to run on the neptune cycle no matter what the source (mains or inverter) you would simply use the power on the OUTLET TO TANK to to be the source for the switched power for the neptune.

Assuming the relay you show above is one of your addition that will function as the battery backup auto transfer switch.
...I am not familiar with the neptune. Is the relay to control the pump built in or is it an external relay? Where does the powert for the pump come from and how is it switched (forget the UPS for now).
Old 08/10/2006, 01:03 AM

The power comes from the wall to a power strip like thing (dc8). The neptune controller switches each outlet independantly for 8 outlets. The pump is plugged into one of the outlets. So when I hit the feed button on the controller the Neptune tells the outlet to cut the power for the pump. If I were to use the diagram as shown below and the NO contacts were wired to the plug on the dc8 and the pump was wired on the output then the relay would transfer to the power source through the inverter and deep cycle battery and my return pump wouldn't turn off when I hit feed, just switch to the alternate power source.
I don't want to run everything on the dc8 in the event of a power failure or I could just plug the NO contacts to the wall and the output to the dc8.
It's only been 3 days you can't fire me yet

Old 08/10/2006, 07:05 AM
Premium Member

Again, Nice job. Can someone explain exactly what a relay switch is? Where can you buy them (Radio Shack)? How much?
Old 08/10/2006, 08:28 AM
Why do I live in IL?

Marino, a relay is used to switch power on and off. It has a coil that when energized either connects or disconnects (depends on type of relay) a set of contacts that allow current to flow through the circuit.