Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 05/17/2002, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

Where to get cheap glass hole saws

I was told to go to a glass shop and get a used one. They usually have a few they don't use anymore. So I did and they did. I bought 2 or 3 for under $5 each. They work fine. I tipped the saw on edge to start it and lubed with water. I took 3 or 4 minutes to do a 3/4" hole. By hole saw I mean a drum shaped thing. I bought one of those pointed types but it wore out in a matter of seconds.
Old 05/17/2002, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

wow...I payed 50 bucks for a new 1-3/4" diamond core drill bit
Old 05/17/2002, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

In the past (before inexpensive diamond bits) they used steel or brass tube bits along with a grinding powder to drill holes in glass. I have actually used this method and have probably drilled about 20 holes. Works just as well as a diamond bit (for our purpose anyway) but you must drill a little slower.

Unfortunatly I no longer have my bits and powder but am about to buy another set. Havn't checked the price but the bits should only cost somewhere around $5-$10 and you will also need a small bucket of the grinding powder. Nice thing is you can drill probably 100 - 200 holes (depending on thickness of glass) before the bit is no longer usable.

The company crlaurence.com sells them and has them on the internet but they only sell wholesale so they don't list the price. I called them and they gave me a phone number to a local distributor just havn't had the time to follow through with this but i'm getting close to drill time on my project so i will be calling the local distributor soon.

If you check out there web site search for brass tube bit
that should get you started . And check out all the different sizes, imagine what a 4" diamond bit would cost ya (if you had to drill a 4" hole

THis method really does work good, it's what they used to do before diamond bits came on the market.
Old 05/17/2002, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

c_k_kuehne
Can you post the crlaurence distributor...I emailed crlaurence I wanted to buy some core drills...I hadn´t a answer...this was 2 months ago...so I bought them from ameriglass but expensive...
So this distributor has the steel or brass tube bits and the grinding compund?
Old 05/17/2002, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

c_k_kuehne
Can you post the crlaurence distributor...I emailed crlaurence I wanted to buy some core drills...I hadn´t a answer...this was 2 months ago...so I bought them from ameriglass but expensive...
So this distributor has the steel or brass tube bits and the grinding compund?
Old 05/17/2002, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

The distributor i was given is Ben Swanger Inc. 478-471-1970

This distributor is located in Macon Ga. I have not called this distributor yet because i'm not positive what exact sized tube bits i need. Am going to order my two pumps and bulkheads this weekend online so will be looking at getting the tube bits next week or so. I figure if they are a distributor and they don't have them in stock will get them to order them for me. If that fails will once again call crlaurence and get the name of the next closest distributor.

Check out the crlaurence web site posted above and do a search for brass tube bit so you can check out what i'm talking about. Then get crlaurence phone # off the web site ( i think it's 800-421-6144 if i'm reading my scrible notes correctly) and ask them for the name and phone number of a local distributor.

Quick rundown on how to drill w/ tube bit:
You will need to get some kind of retailing ring for the grinding powder. I used an almost empty roll of duck tape. Put the retainingg ring centered over location of hole (or as close to center as possible if drilling near edge). Put in retaining ring 2 or 3 tablespoons of grinding powder then fill retaining ring 1/2 full of cold water. Drill hole as straight and steady as possible. If you can get one of those temp drill press attachments for drill all the better. The optimum drill speed is 1300 rpm and only apply slight presure. WHen the bit is about to come through the other side apply the slightest pressure as possible so you don't chip the exit side of hole. While drilling as some of the water excapes from the retaining ring have someone keep it 1/2 full w/ water. These holes only take a couple of extra min. compared to a diamond bit. The tubes actually push the grinding powder into the hole and it's the powder thats doing all the work. This is a very easy and low cost solution instead of diamond bits especially if you have numerious dirrerent sized holes to drill. Ask your distributor what grit of powder to buy just can't remember what grit i used to have.

Hope this helped and let me know if i can clear anything else up.
Old 05/31/2002, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

I picked up my steel tube glass bits today the price as follows:

Steel tube bit 2 1/2" $16.48
Steel Tube bit 1 3/4" $ 14.40
10 lbs 80 grit gringing powder $26.40
shipping $20.00
tax $4.64

Grand total for 2 glass bits and lifetime supply of grinding powder $81.92
Old 05/31/2002, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

fyi

www.harborfrieght.com

I think they're call diamond hole saws...cheap...
Old 05/31/2002, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I think they're call diamond hole saws...cheap...
Diamond hole saws are different. They are drill bits with diamond bits impregnated onto the end of the bit. Harbor freight does have a few but not in the bigger sizes. Diamond bits usually start at around $40 - $60 for 1 3/4" and go up in price as size goes up. Of course price always depends on how many diamond bits are used which determines how long they will last. Have seen prices on web as high as about $160.00 for 1 3/4"

What I was talking about are steel or brass tube bits. You use a grinding powder to drill the hole. If your drilling numerious different sized holes or drilling really big holes they are generally cheaper than diamond bits (of course this depends on where you purchase them).
Old 01/14/2004, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

wrong thread

Stop trying to control everything and just let go.
-Tyler Durden
Old 01/14/2004, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Go to a glass shop and buy a used one. I got two 1/2 and 3/4 for $10 or so. I tipped the saw at an angle to start and lubed it with water. Worked good.
Old 01/14/2004, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

How about these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20790

Are they ok for our purpose?
Old 01/14/2004, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Instead of the duct tape tube for a retainer, steal some of your kids' (orneighbors' kids' ) playdough. Just form a "volcano" of sorts around the hole you want to drill, and it holds in powder, water coolant, whatever. Then you just put a cup / bucket under the hole, and it catches the cutout and coolant.
Old 01/14/2004, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

I got some diamond coated bit from Harbor Frieght and use my Fordom (hand piece) with it. There were about 15bits and it cost me awhopping $8.00. You can use a dremel as well. For 4 holes it took me 15mins and I still have 13bits left over.

Old 01/14/2004, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

How thick was the glass?
I did 1/4" and it took me forever.
Old 01/14/2004, 02:30 PM
Moved On

If your not looking for superlonglasting ones...ie cheaper...but they work well...look on ebay under 'diamond hole saw'. There is a guy who sells 5 packs for $50. If you need a size he does not have listed...simply email him and he can get it.