Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/07/2006, 12:18 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...88#post7515288
Old 06/07/2006, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

On the Rowaphos problems, I've heard about some people having RTN/STN problems if they use the full amount initially.

It seems best to use a small amount at first and ramp it up over a month or two.

C Dub
Old 06/09/2006, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

I've cut way back on the Rowaphos and the initial problems have subsided. As far as the big skimmer goes it's still on Scott's agenda. I know he doesn't have all the parts yet but will probably have them in the next few months. "Big Ugly" is handling the bioload just fine in the mean time. I've shut down my other skimmer to save on electrical costs but have it ready in case of emergencies.
Old 06/10/2006, 08:38 AM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

hey your first thread split!
Old 06/24/2006, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

WOW truely an inspiration wonderfully done.
Old 06/24/2006, 02:14 PM
no time for spell check!

the big skimmer will be built this fall and installed when energys work load slows down a little. there will have to be some major changes made to the fish room to fit the big skimmer in place. this will be a fun experment when we start it.
Old 06/24/2006, 03:20 PM
Keeper of Tangs

sweet project, for sure!
Old 06/26/2006, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

Did the Gem tang ever make it in the tank yet? I might have missed it in the theard....and anymore updated pictures??!!
Old 06/27/2006, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

could we see pics
Old 06/28/2006, 03:02 AM
Registered Member

ummmm...wow
Old 06/29/2006, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

any more pics??? updates??
Old 06/30/2006, 03:01 PM
no time for spell check!

energy has been so busy with his work that he dont even have time to look at his emails. this fall when things slow down im sure he will be back posting to this thread. we will also update the thread when his skimmer starts being built. we are shooting for this oct to have ti cranked up and running.

the bata tank is still in his holding tank until he gains some size. energy is afraid he will be picked on if he put him in the tank right now. he is fattening him up so he will grow faster and then he will put him in the main tank. it is a very beautiful fish and i dont blame him for keeping him away from the larger fish in the tank.
Old 07/23/2006, 05:24 PM
Moved On

Just an FYI, Energy's tank is in Septembers issue of TFH.
Old 08/04/2006, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Updates- There have been a few changes to the tank - some are noteworthy -most are not. One of my orange spotted rabbitfish developed a taste for zoanthids and wiped all of them out (argh). I picked up a choat's leapord wrasse which is starting to eat prepared foods and has been doing fine. This is great since they have a very low survival rate. I also picked up a rare Rhomboid wrasse which seems healthy. Everything else is Par for the course with little ups and downs here and there. TFH sent me a few copies of the magazine with the article on my Tank. That was quite an honor to be recognized. I don't feel like my tank is better than any one elses only bigger than most. There are many beatiful tanks (especially on Reef central) which are much nicer than mine by far!
Old 08/04/2006, 04:37 PM
TRC Leader

Thanks for the update. Sorry about your zoos. I just discovered I have AEFW in my reef, so I'm going to be dealing with that for the next month or so. Don't let them get into your reef.
Old 08/04/2006, 05:05 PM

Been a while! I got a Rhomboid pair as well. Be careful with them in QT...I had one jump and do what we call here, The Fish Stick. Total bummer as you know they aren't cheap. If you see it eyeing the surface in a semi verticle orientation, make sure you cover your QT!

Interestingly enough, mine came in from Kevco and directly to my house, and the wrasses ate prepared foods immediately. In fact the surviving one is a total hog and mixes it up with all the other fish to get food. It is acting very well and getting along with my Blue Sided Scott's Fairy Wrasse. I am surprised they haven't had problems but perhaps tank size helps a bit. All in all I am very pleased with the Rhomboid.
Old 08/05/2006, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

Energy, where in Mendota Heights do you live? I just moved here a month ago. I'm setting up a 220g SPS Reef right now.
Your tank is awesome, love the fact you also collect rare fish. Whats your favorite fish in your system so far (besides the stingray obviously?)
Old 08/05/2006, 03:07 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbkid
Energy, where in Mendota Heights do you live? I just moved here a month ago. I'm setting up a 220g SPS Reef right now.
Your tank is awesome, love the fact you also collect rare fish. Whats your favorite fish in your system so far (besides the stingray obviously?)
are you a part of the TCMAS club here in the twin cities? if not you should join the club.
Old 08/05/2006, 11:12 AM
On hobby time out!

Quote:
Originally posted by Energy
Updates- There have been a few changes to the tank - some are noteworthy -most are not. One of my orange spotted rabbitfish developed a taste for zoanthids and wiped all of them out (argh).
If I could only be so lucky. I finally got an orange spotted rabbitfish too. I had been looking for one for over 3 years and never saw one locally. Then, one day I walk into this one LFS and they like 4 of them sitting there for like $20 each. I took 2 home, one for the small tank and one for the big tank. Nice fish.

Look forward to seeing the article.
Old 08/05/2006, 01:55 PM
no time for spell check!

wow i should borrow that rabbit fish for a week. i have some pest zoos that i would liketo get rid of. ha ha ha ha ha
Old 08/05/2006, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

where do you get the snowflake clown? I love to have one of those fish. Is it rare or some thing like onyx clown? and how much you pay for those fish?
thank you
Old 08/05/2006, 09:44 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by gunnwong
where do you get the snowflake clown? I love to have one of those fish. Is it rare or some thing like onyx clown? and how much you pay for those fish?
thank you

They are about the most expensive clowns you can get. Liveaquaria.com has a pair for $499.
Old 08/06/2006, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

yeah I just joined TCMAS, haven't made it to any meetings yet but definately plan on it as well as seeing others tanks in the area.
Old 08/07/2006, 07:43 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbkid
yeah I just joined TCMAS, haven't made it to any meetings yet but definately plan on it as well as seeing others tanks in the area.
FYI, you have to go to a meeting to actually join.
Old 08/07/2006, 08:57 PM
Mobb Hitman

Are there any pictures of the construction of this setup?