Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/27/2006, 04:10 AM
Registered Member

Rod's Onyx

anyone out there have a mature pair of clowns from Rods-reef?
How long does it take for their colors to come in? I have 2 pairs that I bought in Feb, and I beleive they are from his August hatch making them around 8 mo old. Awesome fish, have nearly tripled in size since I got them, but their pattern is still undeveloped. They are just now starting to darken at the tail where the 3rd stripe is.
Old 04/27/2006, 08:27 AM
Zoa Color Pirate

To get some pics and names of people I know that have them you first MUST post pics of yours.... its the unspoken law
Old 04/27/2006, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Jovreefer is correct. My pair will show face after pictures are taken :-) haha. I am in the same boat you are. I have a pair that I got at the end of January. My female has tripled in size, and the male has doubled. Female almost has her 3rd stripe, and the males is just becoming aparent (you can see the dark shadow areas where paterns will form). My black hasnt exactly been TAKING OFF like I had wished it would... but there is no cure for time I guess. I'll get some pictures tonight.
Old 04/27/2006, 10:20 AM
Sushi!

Yep, Jov is right...So, post pics. i have pics ready
Old 04/27/2006, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

I had a pair until recently and now I have the male left, he's just reaching his one year mark and I think it wasn't until maybe 2 months ago that his colors finally filled in completely and he has his full adult color. Beautiful fish, but difficult to take pictures of. Give it time, and keep in mind that it's possible that bars may never come in fully, but (at least in my case) the black fills in all the open spaces . My male has a misbar on the 3rd which basically left him with a full bar on his left side and no bar at all on the right side. In the missing bar's place it's just black from the second bar to the tail, fair enough trade, I suppose!
Rod really does have fantastic onyxs. Best of luck with your pairs!
Old 04/27/2006, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...57HPIM1152.jpg

I thought I would go ahead and post my picture of my pair after about 2 weeks of ownership. I want this tread to be buzzing!!!! I want to see some Rods Onyx Clowns!

The famles name is Robin. (foreground) She was just getting her third stripe.

The males name is Eddie. (background) A baby when he arrived.

Not the greatest pictures sorry! I'll do better with my updated ones. By the way, if anyone can tell me how to post the picture so you dont have to click a link to it, that would be great. Then i could throw up a comparison photo. :-)
Old 04/27/2006, 12:06 PM
Zoa Color Pirate

Oh...yea... I got mine back beginning of feb. for V-day. He bairly had a 3rd tail stripe then now its almost filled in. Black is starting to thicken a bit too. I've got progression pics waiting

To post pics you copy the link then put [img] (image link here) followed by [ /img] without the space inbetween the bracket and backslash.
Old 04/27/2006, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

Old 04/27/2006, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Rod Onyx pair. This pic was taken 2 weeks after delivery from Rod. Top Onyx: notice third bar and partical black dev.
Lower Onyx: never developed black btn 2/3 bar.

More Recent pic of the "upper" clown in first pic. Notice FULL black dev. btn 2/3 bar and 3rd strip fully enclosed. This is about a year later.

NOTE: keep in mind, rod recently released younger clowns that will even take longer. so i would expect full black dev. in the clowns after atleast 1.5 years with this younger group that most are recieving recently.

keep in mind also, that when you buy his clowns this early, its not a gurantee they will dev. full onyx like the lower clown in the first pic. and you are taking more of a chance buying younger clowns. nothing is guranteed but in my opinion, rods have the highest probability of dev. good onyx color among any other source currently available.
Old 04/27/2006, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Embryo. Its nice to see the development. Great pair also... I'm coming for them haha :-)

I talked to Rod. He stopped selling the clowns till he gets back from IMAC. Stupid me had to wait to call him for my second pair when they were on hold. Oh well... heres hoping all the nice ones didnt get picked up today!
Old 04/27/2006, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

he has many many available. plenty for us all im going to get another pair also when they are a little more mature.
Old 04/27/2006, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

I am moving back home for the summer since I am in college and will be selling off most of my tank. I will be putting my clowns in a 6 gallon nano cube. Does everyone think they will be fine space wise. I will keep them with the anemone and up grade the lighting... i just dont have room for my 20L.
Old 04/27/2006, 07:14 PM
Sushi!

Here are pictures of my Rod's Onyx:

Male when i first got him:

Male now:

Female:

Both clowns:

Old 04/27/2006, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

ireef,

your going to start seeing the fins become even more black.

black spots will start to form and the belly will dominate even more.

ive been feedin my clowns more frozen blood worms, to try to push a red color into there body.
Old 04/27/2006, 09:49 PM
Sushi!

well, these guys are VERY orange..oh, and clean out your message box!!..lol
Old 04/27/2006, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

done
Old 04/27/2006, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

ok here is mine. they dont pose very well so here is the best i can do for right now.
Old 04/28/2006, 08:48 AM
Zoa Color Pirate

embryoguy- do you know how old they were when you purchased them?
Old 04/28/2006, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

i believe they were almost 8 months. but keep in mind. its dependent on many factors also. food, tank size, etc etc. also having a PAIR hosting may help push the dev. of the black in his clowns also. atleast this is what he has observed.

rod uses his own special blend of food, which im sure is better than any commercial product, which i prob is a factor in color dev. also.
Old 04/28/2006, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

embryo you are scaring me... my juvi onyx looks like the one of yours that didnt develope fully except he hasnt started his 3rd stripe yet,, still just that shadow you can see through his orange so you know where the stripe is coming in...

my fingers are crossed... hes only about 8 months... ive heard it can take up to 18 for all black to develope...
Old 04/28/2006, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

yes i think i agree with the 18 months.

please i do not mean to scare you, but why are you surprised some may or may not dev. onyx color?
Old 04/28/2006, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

im not surprised but Rod gave me a statistic of about 90 percent develope the onyx color and the rest dont... it would be my luck i would pull the 1 in 10 that doesnt... we shall see... even if he doesnt develope ill love him the same, just the most expencive true perc i could have gotten... 116 with shipping...
Old 04/28/2006, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Sorry this might be off the topic.
Who Rod?
I live in California, is it possible that I can get the Rod Onyx pair delivery to cal??
thank you
Old 04/28/2006, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
yes i think i agree with the 18 months
ahh the answer I was looking for.

Rod is the owner of a fish store who has managed to successfully breed Onyx percs on a regular basis.
www.rods-reef.com
Old 04/29/2006, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

Hes another pic I found in my camera with them as babies. Updates still to come.

And heres where they play!