Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/02/2006, 10:54 AM
Hopeless addict

my super slow 180

Thanks to all of my dear hubby's hard work, my 180 has lights! Thanks to jpslicko for helping make a bunch of trips to the water store last weekend.

Premium aquatics sent me a couple of wrong bulbs so the light is pretty blue, but nowhere near as blue as it looks in this picture:

Here is a pic inside the partially built canopy:

(I don't know why I didn't put the last reflector on before taking this picture)

The canopy will get access doors for feeding, but we are installing a winch in the attic to lift the whole thing up to the ceiling so I can access the tank for cleaning. The ballasts for the lights may go up there too. The inside of the canopy is sealed, but the outside will not get stained until we figure out the rest of the skins/cabinets.

There is about 32" between the overflow end of the tank and the wall where there will be cabinets all the way up to the ceiling. There will be an exhaust fan to take heat/humidity up to the attic and out, that is why that end of the canopy is currently open.

I am hoping to get the tank through its cycling while I finish all the building. Can anyone contribute a small amount of live sand to the cause?

I post updates as often as possible, but I'll warn you, this is probably one of the slowest setups ever.
&nbsp&nbsp o@o&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "\_r'
&nbsp @o|,@&nbsp&nbsp _/,_&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp >( ')
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 04/02/2006, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Looking good ! I can bring some sand for you if your going to the next meeting.
Old 04/02/2006, 11:21 AM
Hopeless addict

Yep, I plan to be at the next meeting. I have missed a bunch of them. Thanks!
&nbsp @o|,@&nbsp&nbsp _/,_&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp >( ')
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 04/02/2006, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

NP
Old 04/02/2006, 11:25 AM
Cancer Sucks

Looks great! I'm welding the stand for my new 180 today.
How tall is your stand?

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 04/02/2006, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

man all these new 180's going up . Working on my some more today .
Old 04/02/2006, 11:35 AM
Cancer Sucks

At least you guys already have your tanks!
Mine should come in this week or next week.

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
Old 04/02/2006, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Na mine should be done Tuesday.
Old 04/02/2006, 11:45 AM
Industry Professional

I'm starting to think I should have my tank built a little taller so I can join the 180 club too.

I speak for myself and no one else.
Old 04/02/2006, 11:52 AM
Hopeless addict

The stand itself is 36" tall, but it sits on a piece of plywood and then there is another piece of plywood and some styrofoam under the tank so the bottom of the tank is 38" from the floor.

I have had my actual tank for almost a year!! It is very nice to see it finally progressing.

I have to say that the T5 lights are making my 55gal with 2x175 Halides look kind of dim. I plugged in the first ballast w/three bulbs and everyone says "whoa that is bright!!". Then I plugged in the other and everyone put on their shades.
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 04/02/2006, 11:57 AM
Hopeless addict

Here's a pic from the other side

Are you digging my aquascaping? I put a few pieces of live rock from my other tank in last night. This pic is with only one ballast on. The white sand makes such a glare. I am thinking once there is more rock, it will be better.
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 04/02/2006, 12:00 PM
Cancer Sucks

That's a pretty good height. Mine will come up to about 36" with the plywood. I would have liked to go about 6" higher, but I would have had to buy a fourth 20' length of steel and had tons left over.

Old 04/02/2006, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Bottom of my tank will sit at 41"
Old 04/02/2006, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

I like the open look Tiff

Can't wait to see it stocked
Old 04/02/2006, 12:02 PM
Hopeless addict

Quote:
Originally posted by pyrrhus
I'm starting to think I should have my tank built a little taller so I can join the 180 club too.
What size tank are you currently building?

Mine is the standard 72x24x24. I love the look of the taller tanks and wanted the 72x24x29 I think that is a 210. But, I am only 5'4" and the 24 inches is stretching the limits of my ability to reach the bottom. I can not reach the bottom center of this tank, even with the sand in it.

I don't suppose you would have a problem though.
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 04/02/2006, 12:06 PM
Hopeless addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MSM
That's a pretty good height. Mine will come up to about 36" with the plywood. I would have liked to go about 6" higher, but I would have had to buy a fourth 20' length of steel and had tons left over.
Steel prices have really gone up lately. But leftovers never go to waste. Today we will be welding up a frame for the side cabinets. They will hold a 30 gallon reservoir for top off water, a 20 gallon qt tank and an enclosed cabinet for the electrical panel.

And chris - in 2008 when it is stocked, I'll post some pictures.
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 04/02/2006, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

I wanted taller also but I have a hard time getting down to the bottom also and the back corners forget about it ......I have to put my face against the top and then I can get close.
Old 04/02/2006, 12:23 PM
Industry Professional

My tank is a 165 48x36x22 eurobraced, well at least the top, that is all that is done right now.

I speak for myself and no one else.
Old 04/02/2006, 12:23 PM
Xenia Farmer

Tiffany,

Looking good. I think you like the open look, but I am guessing that you will add more rocks to it. I heard that you are awesome at aquascaping from a trusted source.

I like the open look also and when I re-aquascape my tank, I will be going for the more open-look. I already started to take out more and more rocks from the tank whenever I can.
Old 04/02/2006, 12:58 PM
Hopeless addict

Thanks Van! I have waaaayyyyyy too much rock in my 55, but most of that will transfer to the 180. Since it is a peninsula tank, I am going to make every effort to keep the rockwork really open so it is still somewhat see through. I will probably go with 100-120 pounds and see how that works out.

If you're going to get rid of any live rock, let me know 'cause I could use it!
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 04/02/2006, 01:18 PM
Xenia Farmer

I think 100-120 lbs would look great.

Actually, I am keeping all of my extra rock in the sump and I am hoping that it is providing some kind of benefits. I want to upgrade in six months to a 6' long x 3' deep x 2' high tank so I will need the rock then. I just want a deeper tank so I can aquascape better and get more fish, especially tangs. I am moving in the opposite direction as Fliger. Now, I really wish I had bought his tank. At the time, I was thinking it was too big. I am getting to like the fish more than the corals although I can't imagine a fish-only tank.

Hopefully, I won't need more equipment with the bigger tank so I will only have to get the tank and stand. We'll see.

Last edited by vanmle; 04/02/2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04/04/2006, 12:51 AM
Hopeless addict

Here's a quick picture with the steel frame in for the side cabinet. All of the welding is done, the rest will be wood/skin. We cut a hole in the wall and brought in a new electrical line from the main box. It will go to a subpanel with 4 x 20Amp breakers.

Putting the side frame in made the tank look bigger to me.

On another note, premium aquatics was awesome about their sending the wrong bulbs and they are taking care of it. I am very pleased with the service I have received from them.
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 04/04/2006, 12:56 AM
My Boys

very nice .... I am sticking with my 65 till we buy a house on concret... lol...
Old 04/04/2006, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by random_ryan
very nice .... I am sticking with my 65 till we buy a house on concret... lol...
I don't have concret floors and I have a 120 with large sump,44g,40g, 20g,90g,15g and soon to be 180g.
Old 04/04/2006, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clkwrk
I don't have concret floors and I have a 120 with large sump,44g,40g, 20g,90g,15g and soon to be 180g.
What ??!!!

With that many tanks and that much weight, your entire house is gonna fall thru the earth. You're gonna drive home one day, pull up to where you live and see only the top of your roof.

Youre been hit with the Hyper marine collection and propagation syndrome. AKA Over-reefed !!!! j/k