Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/25/2006, 12:42 PM
Evil Conservative

Prodibio

I was checking out this thread http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

I am very interested in this Prodibio product. Its not that widespread in this country. The colors of those SPS in that thread are amazing. I am thinking about trying it its availble at www.robsreef.com or heres the direct link http://www.robsreef.com/Merchant2/me...gory_Code=prod
If this stuff works like it says I think it could have great potential.

What do you guys think??

Scott

Response from Bean Animal
"Username or Bullseye?"

Click the Red House for my Website
Old 03/25/2006, 01:19 PM
Evil Conservative

Melev broke the dosing down into english standards

Thank you.

Here's my proposed schedule using the Prodibio products. Please let me know if you see any problems with it. The X denotes out of that product.

I'm spreading out the iodine and strontium because I don't think I agree with the package directions.

What I need - When to dose - What is recommended on the package
6 bioptim (every 2 weeks) (one ampule per 50g of water)
3 Stronti+ (weekly) (one ampule per 100g of water)
3 ReefBooster (weekly) (one ampule per 100g of water)
2 BioDigest (every 2 weeks) (one ampule per 250g of water)
3 Iodi+ (every 2 weeks) (one ampule per 100g of water)

"Username or Bullseye?"

Old 03/25/2006, 02:40 PM
Evil Conservative

Posted by melev
"I'm sure as soon as we get a spot to talk about Prodibio, a link will be posted in this thread. I can tell you this for a fact, we can discuss it all we want as hobbyists. The vendor can't talk about it because of it being a commercial interest. He can't link to his site, nor quote portions of his site here. Since the vendor in question has applied to be a sponsor, I don't think it will be that long before we get the news".

I would really like to open a dialog here on the URS. This isn't some questionable product but rather a tested way of creating a more natural enviroment for my system.It will be good to ask the manufacturer some of my questions..In the mean time I am ordering the Prodibio starter pack. I am going to try just these items before trying the Zeo stuff.
Scott

"Username or Bullseye?"

Old 03/25/2006, 06:24 PM
Evil Conservative

http://www.robsreef.com/phpbb/viewfo...093cdcac560001

This is the only dealer in the US that I have found. They have a message board too.

Heres a dealer that sells hard to find international products. They have the Zeo stuff. The more that I read about Zeovit the more that I think that this is the way to go. Given some time the Zeovit in the reactor will COMPLETELY remove all Nitrates. Water changes are necessary but the complete removal of nitrates seems to be the holly grail of this hobby. From everything that I have and I have been reading all day the complete absence of Nitrates is what corals need to thrive like they do in the ocean. It seems that adding the proper supplements get them closer to this state. If you check out iwan's tank he isn't even running that much light. I think that with proper nutrition and correct water chemistry SPS will grow right out of the tank. I intend to try some of this but its pretty expensive. I think the Prodibio is a good place to start and even if it doesn't work your only out $44.00. Seems like a small price to pay to see such a big impact.

Some please tell me if I am crazy. I have been researching this all day and all I can find are good things about this method of care.

Scott

"Username or Bullseye?"

Last edited by bosborn1; 03/25/2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03/25/2006, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

keep us posted
Old 03/25/2006, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Snake oil or miracle product.....
Started using the Prodibio products two months ago and all I can say is that the there has been an improvement in my tank since then...SPS are more colorful...nitrates 0....the overall condition is better....
Old 03/25/2006, 10:15 PM
Evil Conservative

I will be taking pictures of all of my corals as well as run a full water test. I will then start dosing the prodibio reef kit. I will then run tests every two weeks and take pictures to document. I would like to see a few others do this as well so that way we can see what this does over several tanks instead of just one. Results from just one user probably won't prove anything to the masses, it takes many different users all having sucess with the system. I will be watching Melev's site as well an posting his results on this thread. If anyone else comes across so info in a thread please link to it in this thread.

Thanks
Scott

"Username or Bullseye?"

Old 03/27/2006, 01:37 AM
TRC Leader

Hi Scott,

I'll be posting updates on Robsreef's message board as well as on my own log (on my site). The dosing schedule that you posted is my preliminary one, which I've yet to implement. I think I'll hold off on the ReefBooster at least for a couple of weeks. Remember, the dosing schedule is for a system with 300g of water, so if you have a smaller system, those guidelines would need to be adjusted to match that water volume.

I'll update that schedule with a new one, and officially start dosing in the next couple of days. I didn't want to jump the gun and do anything that might hurt my reef.

I'm not sold on the Zeo-method, as I've heard all kinds of horror stories. It is expensive, not-hobbyist friendly, and I know of quite a few people that abandoned it entirely. You need their media, their reactor, and expensive additives. The Prodibio method shouldn't be as intensive nor expensive. Rob estimated it would run me $300 a year, or $25 a month.

This is what it looks like:

This product is made in France, and is not new. Some have been using it for a couple of years, but it is new to us, or at least the people I've spoken with here on RC.
Old 03/27/2006, 03:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jumboshrimp18
Snake oil or miracle product.....
Started using the Prodibio products two months ago and all I can say is that the there has been an improvement in my tank since then...SPS are more colorful...nitrates 0....the overall condition is better....
I'v been using Digest, Trace and Booster for a few months too. Similar results as above.

Re zeo - Prodi are an alternative to Zeo basic 4 only cheaper and easier as far as I can see although I havent tried ZB4 - the other zeo products are not covered by the prodi range and can be used to tweak sps colors and enhance growth - so the two approaches are not wholy mutually exclusive, infact in the Iwan Method - Prodi could be described as stage 1 and non zb4 zeo supplements as stage 2.

I'm sure you'v seen Iwans thread?

Cheers

Simon

Simon
Old 03/27/2006, 07:35 PM
Evil Conservative

Thanks guys. I am interested in just trying the Podibio stuff right and I am not to sure about the price. As Melev said you have to buy there reactor to run ZEOvit. With the price of the small reactor being $190 I see this as cost prohibiting. I will be starting my Prodibio soon and I will also be posting results...Probably on this thread. I will be watching your sight melev to see how it goes for you.

TrytheChi,
Do you have any pics of your tank that you can post??

Thanks
Scott

"Username or Bullseye?"

Old 03/29/2006, 04:28 PM
LOOKING FOR MONTI 'S

I am a zeovit user changing to a mixed system .So I can get away from the reactor and the stones .I still will be using some of the zeovit stuff . The CV and the AAHC and the PIF from zeovit and the Bioptim, Biodigest and Reef Booster from Probiotic .

I will be following your thread to see what your findings are ,as well as telling mine . If you don't mind
Old 03/29/2006, 04:55 PM
Have A Great Day! :)

I have been reading about it as well. I think it is worth a try, so I am going to order some!
Old 03/29/2006, 05:16 PM
Evil Conservative

Great! Jamie...Please make sure to photograph your tank very well and take water tests so you know were your starting from. I would like that anyone who is trying it to post all they can about on this thread. That way it will be a collection of knowledge and experiance about this product. Darksileinttype, I look forward to seeing some of your results. Good Luck to you both. Hopefully all of our tanks will have eyepopping colors in a matter of a few months. I will try to make sure that I paste all of the info from Melev's site on this thread too. I am just waiting to get my stuff in the mail to begin.

Scott

"Username or Bullseye?"

Old 03/29/2006, 07:08 PM
Evil Conservative

Form Rob's Reef Forum.

Well I finally got some time to take some pics of my tank today 3/27/06

I did start prodibio digest/PTIM a couple of days ago.
I noticed a certain clearing of the water after adding it...looks best ive seen it.

My corals just came out of an interceptor quarantine tank (RedBugs) so they might take an xtra day or 2 to respond and readjust.

I have also started dosing Kent CoralVite for needed trace elements. My tank is just 6 months old so because of a smaller demand with my frag sized corals I am dosing the CoralVite at 1/2 recomended dosage.

Here is a link to my pics... http://www.einsweb.com/Prodiweb/3_27_06/

Enjoy!!
einsteins

What would it take to make this a sticky. I think that this would be important because its ongoing research and people from outside of the URS are involved as well. I am sure they don't want to sort through all of our regional stuff to find what they are looking for.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by robthorn
... have you read the coral magazine issues 1 through 6 or 7 that deal with nutirents in the aquarium? I am through 5 of them and I need to go back and re read them a few times to really grasp everything but it is at least giving me a better understanding of what is going on ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those articles are great stuff!

That being said ... they unfortunately don't really address what's going on with bacterioplankton filtration. They are an easy read, and they do present critical issues and concepts relevant to bacteriplankton filtration.

The folks who really ought to take an interest in the articles are the BB Berlin-style reefers who have achieved a "stripped nutrient" water column ... particularly article VI which specifically addresses nitrogen and phosphorous limitation in a still organic carbon-limited water column (water columns resulting from bacterioplankton filtration are fundamentally different in that they are not organic carbon-limited).

BTW, when I write about "carbon limitation", I am referring specifically to DOC ("dissolved organic carbon") ... Not DIC ("dissolved inorganic carbon"). The distinction between organic vs. inorganic carbon limitation is significant. There is simply no way for a viable reef aquarium to be inorganic carbon limited ... think about how much CO2 and HCO3 (among others) is present.

JMO.

If you haven't come across Jorg Kokott's "Nutrients in the Reef Aquarium" articles, they are definitely worth a read ...

Nutrients in the Reef Aquarium - Part I
(Coral magazine, February/March 2004)
The fundamentals about nutrients and their concentration in seawater.

Nutrients in the Reef Aquarium - Part II
(Coral magazine, April/May 2004)
Feeding mechanisms of zooxanthellae corals - a concept based on symbiosis.

Nutrients in the Reef Aquarium - Part III
(Coral magazine, June/July 2004)
Feeding zooxanthellate corals.

Nutrients in the Reef Aquarium - Part IV
(Coral magazine, August/September 2004)
The Biological Function and Turnover of Nutrients.

Nutrients in the Reef Aquarium - Part V
(Coral magazine, December 2004/January 2005)
Iron - An Essential Metal We Know Nothing About.

Nutrients in the Reef Aquarium - Part VI
(Coral magazine, February/March 2005)
Understanding the Concept of the Nutrient-Limited Reef Aquarium.

Here's the website for Coral magazine ...
http://www.coralmagazine.com

Here's the "back issues" page of Coral magazine's website ...
http://www.coralmagazine.com/backIssues.htm

Here's Coral magazine's "contact us" page of CORAL magazine's website ...
http://www.coralmagazine.com/contactUs.htm

Also ...

Coral magazine's Advertising Sales Department:
1011 South Linwood Avenue
Santa Ana, CA 92705
Phone: 714-543-4100
FAX: 714-543-4800

Scott

"Username or Bullseye?"

Last edited by bosborn1; 03/29/2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03/30/2006, 01:39 PM
TRC Leader

I started dosing today. I left the skimmer off for an hour, and unplugged the carbon (phosban reactor) for now.

I didn't dose ReefBooster yet. Here's my new schedule:
Old 03/30/2006, 01:48 PM
Shh... We're fishing.

Great info you guys. I'm all over it.
Old 03/30/2006, 02:21 PM
Moved On

I have a question? I am starting up my new 220 think this is the way to go? right now I have just the live rick in the yank am letting it cycle before I add the sand and my livestock. I have done some reasearch and I like the results! iwans tank is like the most beautiful tank I tave seen. I'd give my right arm to hav e my reef look like that !!!
Old 03/30/2006, 02:35 PM

Zanclus,

From what I have read about it, I think it is worth trying. I don't think it is going ot hurt. And if I don't like it, I am only out $40 or so...
Old 03/30/2006, 02:37 PM
Moved On

I am going to have close to 300 gallons of total water it will cost more for me....
Old 03/30/2006, 02:38 PM
Moved On

Don't get me wrong I don't mind spending the money if it is worth spending, Being my tank can be considered a new steup at this point ,will it make a difference?
Old 03/30/2006, 02:45 PM

Hmmm....I am not sure there. I am venturing a guess that it would give your tank a jumpstart. Have you seen the message board on it at robsreef? Maybe they could help out with that one!
Old 03/30/2006, 02:46 PM
TRC Leader

I don't think you need it yet. My tank has been running 1.5 years, and I hope it will make a difference. I'm not sure that it will do anything for a new system, to be honest. It might, but I think the jury is still out at the moment.

Sorry if I'm a wet blanket.
Old 03/30/2006, 03:00 PM
Moved On

Not at all Melev, I jsut dont want to spend the money if at this point it would not make a difference. I will have to continue my research on this....
Old 03/30/2006, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

light is also a contributing factor. Iwan uses t5's. it is a beautiful tank. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=700454
Old 03/30/2006, 06:05 PM
Evil Conservative

Ok Zanclus I am going to try to answer this to the best of my ability... From what I understand the prodibio system will work best for a nutrient starved system in which there is some degree of nitrate as well as the nitrobacter. In a new tank I don' think those will be prevelent enough to warrant the system....I could be wrong. The nutrients that prodibio provides must be used steadly by the inhabitants or it will just be skimmed out. I think that the prodibio product that just provides the bacteria might be worth a look but I would consult Rob at robsreef first.

I am so glad that everyone has started to take interest in this stuff. I think that it will take us beyond the boundrys of were we are at now. I am currently working on have a local retailer provide this product...He is interested however we are having a hard time finding it. There might be one supplier that has it though. We are waiting to hear back from him.

Once again I am pleased that this starting to get popular. We need to share as much info as possiable to help out all reefers.

I ask for your support in getting this made into a sticky so that its always at the top of discussion. I think that this will be great for the club to be on the leading edge of research of a product new to the US

Thanks again everyone
Scott

"Username or Bullseye?"