Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 01/31/2006, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Need help making a Power Center

How does everyone hook up their powercenters to their electric supply? I can't hardwire it, so I'm thinking of using a heavy gauge extension cord and cutting it, and then using romex to wire up all the outlets on the powercenter. Let me know what you think.
Old 02/01/2006, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

Romex is not very flexable and is not designed for that kind of use. Also, the type of filler between the conductors has a tendency to wick water into the cable. That's not good because it's going to get wet sooner or later. I would use a 12ga SO type cable with a hospital grade plug. Run that off of a ground fault receptacle or ground fault breaker to be safe.
Old 02/01/2006, 03:32 AM
TRC Leader

I made my own Power Panel, and all the outlets were wired to plug into the back of two DJ Power Centers. It has worked out nicely for the past 1.5 years. Here's a picture:

From left to right, top row:

* VHO, MH Left, MH Middle, MH Right, EMPTY
* X10 controller, Heater, Heater, pH Controller/MaxiJet1200, Co2 Shutoff/Mag 7(calcium reactor circulation)
* Grounding Probes, EMPTY, EMPTY, Aqua Controller II, EMPTY
* Tunze Stream, Phosban Reactor, Euro-Reef Skimmer, Tunze Stream, Return pump

Each outlet has a small label on the coverplate. T1 - T8 are the top 8 switches on the DJ Power Center. B1 - B8 are the bottom 8 switches.

Each switch is labeled so that I can turn off the appropriate device. When I need to turn off the skimmer, I don't have to unplug two Sedra 5000 pumps. I flip the switch and both pumps shut off. And if I have to find the right plugs, I match the button to the correct outlet and know what the plug goes to. So if I turn off B3, the plugs go to the skimmer. If I turn off T3, all equipment associated with the Calcium Reactor is shut off at once, which is really nice.

The top powerstation is plugged into a 20amp GFCI circuit, and the bottom one is not. Since a GCFI can trip (and that includes even a nuisance trip), I don't want it shutting down the tank. Everything plugged in the top unit is something that might possibly hurt me, like the heaters or my accidentally pulling the light rack into the water. I want the breaker to trip and save my life.

The bottom set runs on a regular 20 amp circuit, and keeps the pumps running which provides circulation to the tank even if the lights and heaters are off (as mentioned above). This has really worked out well over the past 12 months.

The power centers are made by American DJ, and are Model # 100A. I bought them at Guitar Center for $29 each; they are also available via Ebay. Each unit is designed to handle 15 amps, and has 8 outlets in the back matching the 8 power buttons on the front.

The white modules you see are X-10 devices. Using my Aqua Controller II (by Neptune Systems), it talkes to the main module (T1). That module talks to the other X-10 modules (T2, T5, T6, T7 & T8). This system turns lights and heaters on and off based on how the Aqua Controller has been programmed. The blue metal boxes you see are drivers that Tunze uses to power the Stream pumps.

Everything is housed in a cabinet with a door to help avoid this panel getting sprayed with water.
Old 02/01/2006, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

That's a great setup! I have been looking at those DJ strips, but I don't know if a timer will fit without blocking another outlet, but with your setup that won't matter.

Question---when you say the outlets are wired to the DJ strip, how did you wire them?
Old 02/01/2006, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

I would like to know that same thing - the only thing I can think of is Melev wired each outlet with a grounded plug on one end and the outlet on the other, the grounded plug is then plugged into the DJ stip where boith outlets from that plug can now be turned on and off via a switch or the X10 device. It's only a guess though.

Jer
Old 02/01/2006, 10:50 AM
Ferret Maximus

man that is awsome and I only can hope to have something almost close to 1/2 what that is !

been meaning to get the dj strips

how much do the x-10 and aqua contollers go for?

I know I'll be more into my tank if I can automate any task
and the tank will be better too!

thx melev thats great example
Old 02/01/2006, 02:33 PM
TRC Leader

Let me dig up a few more pictures for you so you can see how it went together.

Okay. When I wanted to build this, it needed to remain water resistant. A door closes over the whole thing.

Once the box was built, the boxes were put in place.

Each outlet had wiring going out of the box that would lead up to the DJ power center. Some would daisy chain from one box to the next, and then up the the DJ center. I wanted to be be able to flip a switch that killed power to 2 outlets (the majority), and 4 outlets with other switches.

The boxes have to be wired correctly, with the white wire on the white side of the outlet, as well as the white side of the three prong plugs. If these are crossed accidentally, the breaker trips.

It took about an hour to get all 16 plugs attached, and the 20 outlets wired.

This hole is for the MH and VHO cords to come through. I added a rubberflap on the outside so that a splash would run down the rubber and stay out of the power panel.

I hope that helps.
Old 02/01/2006, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Okay, so you just bought 3 prong leads and wired those into the 16 of 20 outlets, and simply plugged those into the back of the DJ panel right?
Old 02/01/2006, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

What are the boxes plugged into t5-t8 and t1-t2?
Old 02/01/2006, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

Looks good melev I use those strips to they work great! I wired one of mine to my DC8 The other I just use as is. I posted some of these the other day but here ya go..

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Why do we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?

Isn't is it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?
Old 02/01/2006, 06:30 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Arik
Okay, so you just bought 3 prong leads and wired those into the 16 of 20 outlets, and simply plugged those into the back of the DJ panel right?
Yes, there were a total of 16 3-pronged plugs, which all fit in the back of the two DJ centers. (8 per unit)

Four cords were connected to dual outlets, so 8 outlets were shared over four buttons. The rest were plugged individually into the back of the other 12 available switches.
Old 02/01/2006, 06:32 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by FloridaFishMan
What are the boxes plugged into t5-t8 and t1-t2?
Those are X-10 modules. Each item is plugged in - lighting and heaters. The Aqua Controller II talks to all of the X-10 modules. The one in T-1 is the main module that talks to the other X-10 receivers.
Old 02/01/2006, 06:34 PM
TRC Leader

8ball_99 - you apparently spliced into the insides of one DJ power center instead of using the plugs on the back, mainly to save some money, correct?

I do like the look of the finished product.
Old 02/01/2006, 06:49 PM
Ferret Maximus

ok so you could hardwire or go and buy the 3 prong plugs and just put them in the back of dj ctr.
Old 02/01/2006, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Got it, so now I just have to find a cheap place to buy 15 or so 3 prong leads.....

Thanks for all the great info!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02/02/2006, 02:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
8ball_99 - you apparently spliced into the insides of one DJ power center instead of using the plugs on the back, mainly to save some money, correct?

I do like the look of the finished product.
Thanks.. Not really to save money.. More along the lines of Space.. I needed this to fit behind the tank.. Only about 20"back there.. I didn't want any outlets under the stand due to moisture.. When I took my 72 down some of the powerstrip plugs were green from all the moister

The One power strip that I spliced the leads really doesnt do anything but act like an overide for the Aqua Controller.. As you know you can turn outlets on and off with the controller.. But you have to go into the menu.. I just wanted to flip a switch same as you.. But I didnt' have the space for a Bank for wall outlets. So each switch on the DJ powerstrip has its own lead that plugs inot the DC8 then the light pump what ever plugs in to the plug on the back of the Power strip.. Kind of does two things..Easy on off and If the DC8 has a device on the switch is lit up.. My Ballasts for my lights are also in that box.

Old 02/02/2006, 02:42 AM
TRC Leader

That's interesting. Thanks for explaining your setup.
Old 02/02/2006, 05:59 AM
Just an Average Joe

I chose to seperate the switch box away from the power receptacles when I built my setup. This also allows me to change around the two components in an indefinite combination of locations. My sump system is in the garage and the main tank sits between the kitchen and dining room as a room-divider

Old 02/02/2006, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

Very nice. Where did you get those switches and box, ReefMeister? Thanks
Old 02/02/2006, 02:23 PM
TRC Leader

Is that a normal a/c system, or do the switches run low voltage? Very clean.
Old 02/02/2006, 03:56 PM
Premium Member

I am definitely going to steal some ideas here!

Every day passes whether you participate or not. "
Old 02/02/2006, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Melev I think those are normal 120v. A switch panel like that would have worked great for your setup. Its even the right color

Old 02/02/2006, 04:46 PM
GrimReaper

Here is one i made, it's not as elaborate as some here, but who is gonna see it anyway sitting under my tank, so it's just basic panel. it's just a way to keep things organized.
all the tan receptacles are always hot, the bottom row left three plugs are switched by the three switches to the right of it.
The middle row has three timers each with a plug, one timer is for the center tank light (175 Metal halide), one for the two end medal halide lights, and one timer for the two 160 watt 6' Actinic tubes

Old 02/02/2006, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Comatose---you have two wires going into the top gang box---why two? I really like the timers built in rather than plugging in a mechanical timer. Where did you get those? I found similar ones at Lowes, but they were $25.
Old 02/02/2006, 06:10 PM
GrimReaper

one wire is for the timers(all the lights), and the other wire is for the rest of the recepticals, pumps, powerhead, etc, etc.

I did not want to overload one wire so i ran two to be able to plug into two seperate dedicated recepticals in case i needed to. for now both wires are pluged into one receptical but like i said , if i needed two can seperate them.

yep they are the same timers, intermetic i think they are called, not cheap, but there isn't much out there to choose from either.