Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics

Old 06/27/2005, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Anthony thank you for the idea.....and what do you think of this?

Anthony,

Thank you for the great ideas for overflows! I built one for my tank and I would love to see what you think. I tried to do the full length but it was a little tough with the plumbing and the crossbar, but it should work just as well for surface area!

I put a few pictures of it in my photo album! So critique away! lol

Thanks again for the great help...and great books!

PS. Soon I will start on the closed loop for this tank...so get ready for the questions! haha
Old 06/27/2005, 06:51 PM
Parapterois heterura

thanks kindly, my friend

and your overflow looks very fine. Discreet with the dark glass... lip for resting fags or growing coral to sheet/cover it (zoanthids, starpolyp, plating monti, etc.)

My one wonder is if the single overflow hole is enough to handle your total flow through the sump? For me... it would likely be enough as I run a very slow flow over these such overflows to keep the sump quiet (no heavy turbulence or gurgling, etc.). Then... I get the rest of the desired water flow from a closed loop pump tapped in/out of the display.
Old 06/28/2005, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Calfo
thanks kindly, my friend

and your overflow looks very fine. Discreet with the dark glass... lip for resting fags or growing coral to sheet/cover it (zoanthids, starpolyp, plating monti, etc.)

My one wonder is if the single overflow hole is enough to handle your total flow through the sump? For me... it would likely be enough as I run a very slow flow over these such overflows to keep the sump quiet (no heavy turbulence or gurgling, etc.). Then... I get the rest of the desired water flow from a closed loop pump tapped in/out of the display.

I have two of the boxes both with a huge hole, plus I am indeed taking more of your advice and running a very slow flow though the sump. I am planning on matching the sump flow to the skimmer flow for the AquaC EV-180!

Do you think that would work out ok? What iwaki pumps would you recommend for the skimmer and the return? Or would you go for something other than Iwaki?

Thanks again for all the help!

Paul
Old 06/28/2005, 01:27 AM
Parapterois heterura

very good/realistic about the large hole but modest flow through the sump loop for the skimmer. This will be manageable and relatively quiet indeed. The closed then can/will properly handle the rest of the flow wanted/needed.

I'm not totally clear on how the skimmer will be plumbed in though?

As for pumps... I'm a staunch advocate of Japanese made Iwakis for longest term use/durability. Rate it as per half of the max possible flow through the two given sized bulkhead holes you have to feed the sump.
Old 08/23/2005, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Just though I would add to this a picture that you don't have to dig for.....

I did not have the overflow go all the way across the tank, instead I had two put in....much easier with the crossbar on the tank! Also if you look closely at the picture above I made a little set in the box lid that keeps anything but water out of the overflow....no jumping fish....no snails...just water!

If any of you want to copy what I did, I put pictures in my album.

Thanks,
Paul

P.S. Thanks again Anthony for all the great ideas! Also thanks to my LFS "About the Reef" for building it for me!
Old 08/23/2005, 03:04 PM
Parapterois heterura

absolutely fabulous to see/hear. Great job and kudos to your LFS as well
Old 08/25/2005, 12:34 PM
wish I was here

great looking overflow. how large is the gap from the overflow edge to the cover?
Old 08/25/2005, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainDave
great looking overflow. how large is the gap from the overflow edge to the cover?
The gap is a 1/4". Plus if I need to make it smaller it's easy, just cut down the pipes a little more!

Old 08/25/2005, 01:52 PM
wish I was here

awesome, thanks. i really like the look of this overflow.

nov/Anthony, what do you think of an overflow of this design, but very long and thin, for a small tank? I have a 20H I want to drill, but due to space considerations in the tank we were thinking of making it long (almost the length of the tank) and thin - maybe 1.5 inches? Do you guys think it would handle the flow? I'm probably going to use a Mag 5 or Mag 7 for a return.
Old 08/25/2005, 03:52 PM
Parapterois heterura

CaptainDave,

you need to check the ratings from the manufacturer of your bulkhead and compare that to the pump(s) you want to use at the head they will be operating at. You need to add up the length of run, number of elbows, etc (see the RC calculator).
Old 08/27/2005, 11:28 AM
Koi Pimp

I really like this design and think I'm going to do something very similar in my new clam tank I just aquired to downsize to for the time being..

Thanks for the idea's..

Dan
Old 08/27/2005, 11:34 AM
wish I was here

Thanks Anthony. I have bulkheads, plumbing, etc, matched up, I was just wondering what your thoughts were on efficiency of a long, skinny overflow box compared to a squarish one. The RC calculator is quite useful.
Old 08/27/2005, 12:09 PM
Koi Pimp

dave what are the dimensions of your?What size bulkheads? My tank I'll be making one for is very similar in size to yours
Old 08/27/2005, 01:04 PM
wish I was here

Tank is standard 20H - 24 by 12 by 18 maybe? Bulkhead is a single 1" (flow won't be too much).
Old 08/28/2005, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 08/29/2005, 10:59 AM
Koi Pimp

Dp you put any kind of an elbow in the bulkhead inside of the overfolw?
Old 10/24/2005, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

question on horizontail overflow

I to am in the process of setting up a 2' cube and am trying to figure out the whatsize of overflow to make and where to drill for bulkhead. I was thinking 10" long by 6"tall By 4" deep using a 1"bulkhead and a mag 5 or 7 return pump. Should the bulk head be drilled at 2 and a 1/2 inches on center from top of tank? and is the dim. of overflow ok it is a glass tank measuring at 24"x18"x18' with a 10 gallon fuge underneithany help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10/24/2005, 10:46 PM
wish I was here

I'd step up to a 1.5 inch bulkhead if i were you. it will be much quieter and you won't have to worry about it handling the flow. i've got a mag5 and a 1 inch bulkhead right now, and wish i'd gone 1.5 just for the noise. you can put the bulkhead anywhere you want, really, as long as the holes in the glass and plastic line up.
Old 10/25/2005, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

What about the dimensions are they ok ? Also you said as long as the holes in the glass and plastic line up? I thought you use the back of the tank as the back of the overflow? Also go with a 1 1/2 drain instead thats fine I had a 1 inch on my 65 aga with builtin overflow so I thought they would of been fine on the 32 gallon thanks for the quick response
Old 10/25/2005, 08:19 PM
wish I was here

well, the 1 inch bulkhead would probably be fine, i was just saying a 1.5 inch would be a lot quieter. also, i built my overflow box with four sides and used the bulkhead to hold it against the glass....easier to build, harder to line up. if you're going to silicone it in place, what you are talking about is fine. as far as your box dimensions, i think they would be ok, but use the calculator to check. my box has 12 inches of overflow space, and it drains my Mag5 fine.
Old 10/26/2005, 09:22 AM
Flowalicious

I figured I'd throw this up for you guys looking to builld overflows that dont take up much space.

If I'm not allowed to post links to other forums, take this down anthony
http://www.bostonreefers.org/FORUMS/...ad.php?t=15898

I've since removed the baffles inside the overflow boxes, and raised the dursos an inch or so, and its completely silent. I'm pushing roughly 1000gph through(500 in each box), and the in-tank footprint is 36" by 1". (it runs the length of my 58gallon)

You MIGHT be able to use acrylic for the external boxes, but glass is definitely safer in terms of silicon adhesion.
Old 10/26/2005, 12:32 PM
Parapterois heterura

no worries... thanks for sharing the info