Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/27/2005, 04:27 AM
Registered Member

closed loop without sitely outlets in the water?

is it possible to do a form of closed loop circulation without that many outlets sticking into the water? I have a 125 gal and according to suggestions, i need to make about 10 to 12 outlets at 3/4 inch. I dont think Im going to like that many outlets sticking into the top of my water. I look at the tank from a slightly lower angle so seeing the outlets on the top will be pretty obvious.

Is there an alternative and effective way to circulate water without that many outlets?
Old 06/27/2005, 10:34 AM
Student of life.

not aware of one, at least one that wont make viewing your tank even more unsightly with all the bubbles that would be created by setting the outlets above the water.
Old 06/27/2005, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

well, ive seen some pictures of people's tanks, specially the ones that do it as a business, they hardly have any obstructions. Im wondering if they do lots of powerheads behind the rock work? or is that back glass drilled all over the place with outlets?
Old 06/27/2005, 07:46 PM
Parapterois heterura

yes... exactly like Quarky states.

If it is done correctly... the effluent nozzles are barely at or above the water surface and not seen at all really (literally so if the tank is low or you are tall as the full display is viewed.
Old 06/28/2005, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

yeah, unfortunatly, I view my tank sitting down on the floor. Its a low setup, because the room its in, most of the time, people are on the floor and couch. Kinda Japanese style, so looking at the surface of the tank is inevitable, hence a way to make the effluents not visiable.

so I guess there is no way around it unless i make the effluents slightly above the water surface which leads me to think that there will be some massive salt spray. What about clear glass effluents? wait, maybe algae infested later.

Is there a way maybe to just make two very large openings like 1.5 to 2 inches, behind the rock work on maybe a switching solenoid water valve? so that it can be hooked up to a wave maker? thus creating like a surge effect?

thanks.