Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/17/2005, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Attaching time

I just got my first Zoo coloney. How long wil it take to attach to the live rock? I have a rubberband holding it to the rock. Thanks
Old 06/17/2005, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

A week or so, I would say definatly in two weeks but likely in just one.
Old 06/17/2005, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

What do you mean by "colony"? Generally, when I think of colony, I think of a large amound of zoas already attached to a medium sized rock.

If you are talking about a frag that is loose from the rock (I suppose you could have a whole colony loose from the rock though) I would actually reccomend picking up some super-glue gel. That stuff is amazing. I cleaned up my prop tank in 10 minutes and everything is great and healthy. Maybe its just my luck, but even in a lower flow area, we had no luck getting zoas that didnt already have a small rock attached to them to attach to a new rock.

If you are talking about a colony spreading to another rock, that depends on a lot of things. Light, flow, etc.
Old 06/18/2005, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

I would say that it is a small rock with about 30 polyps on it. I have tried the super glue thing in the past ad it didn't work very well for me.
Old 06/18/2005, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

how'd you go about doing it? I take the polyps out, dab the bottom of the polyps dry on a towel or paper towel (in a pinch I've been known to use my shirt) and then apply a liberal amount of super glue gel. If possible, I remove the rock from the tank and dry the spot where I want them and then press them into the rock. Hold for 10-30 seconds. Viola. If the rock isnt removeable, I put a little extra glue on the polyps, and then I place them in the water. The glue will skin over. Just press them into the rock strong enough to break the skin and hold for a few seconds. Viola.

Hopefully the rubberban method works for you. I havent had luck, but who knows. Good luck.
Old 06/18/2005, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

If it's a rock with zoo's on it already what are you trying to attach it to? another rock?
Super glue gel works much better than regular super glue.
I had a frag I got not attached to anything and had it on a rubberband for a month and it never attached. It took about a minute with super glue lol.
I usually superglue everything but thought I'd try the rubberband.

As soon as superglue hits the water it hardens so you have to be fast if your doing it in the tank and twisting it helps to break the seal also.

kass
Old 06/19/2005, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

So I can hold the polyps and put some force on them while I glue them to the rock? The last time I tried to glue stuff I was trying not to hurt the polyps.
Old 06/19/2005, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Drying the frag first really is the key.Keeping it out of water for a while doesnt hurt them.
Old 06/19/2005, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

The zoanthid polyps that become loose from the "colony" and aren't attached to anything any longer are really fairly resilient. Don't put any unnecessary pressure on them but also don't worry about crushing them. I glue them down in the exact same way as tekknoschtev - though I've never used his shirt - and it works well.

Just be careful to put the superglue gel on the base (bottom) of the polyp withoug getting any on the "face" of the polyp. And once you put the gel on the bottom, carefully press it onto the rock in the place that you want it, and then within, say, five to ten seconds, put it in the water and where you want it on the rockwork. You can also, like mentioned above, put the polyp with the glue gel on its base right into the water and press it onto a piece of rock in the tank. Just hold it in place for a few seconds and it will stay put.
Old 05/27/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

New tp the zoo game, i recently picked some pretty pink and and green zoos connected to small coral branches, i broke the branc in 3 and placed then in and on my live rock (touching the rocks) will these zoos attach themselves to the rock?
Old 05/27/2007, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

If you give them good conditions, they will spread and spread onto the rocks from the pieces of branch coral they're on now. I find that they spread best when they have good flow over them.