Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/17/2005, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

New Manifold needs some direction.(PICS)

After doing much research I have built a manifold. However the pump and strainer have become a problem.
This is a pic of my 58gal reef

I am currently constructing the canopy to house the T5 lights so here is the manifold in its current state

The ends of the 6 inputs in the will have locline flare nozzles.

The pump I am looking at is the Gen-x 30 (about 900gph at 0 head) will be housed in the stand.

After doing a lot of research I am worried that the manifold will not work that well without a higher powered pump. If I go with a 1000gph or higher pump I might have sand blowing all over the tank. Also I wanted to use this strainer because it doesn't look ugly but I am worried about it not sucking enough water for the pump.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...omflo.asp#tube
If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be greatful. I am close to just getting 2 sea swirls and giving up.
Old 02/18/2005, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

With 6 outlets on your manifold there will not be much flow from each one. Even at 900 GPH there would only be 150 GPH through each outlet. Not very much flow or velocity to create water movement even through what looks like 1/2 pipe. I would suggest a higher flow pump.

Is the Gen-x going to be on a closed loop?
Old 02/18/2005, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

I would go with a much bigger pump, say around 1200 gph. With 6 outlets that's only going to give you 200 gph on each one and that shouldn't blow your sand around.

If this is going to be for a closed loop I'm not sure the strainer you posted will be able to keep up with your pump. I think you would be better off with some PVC and a lot of holes drilled in it.

By the way, your manifold looks great. Keep up the good work. Anthony would be so proud.

Bald Guys never have a bad hair day.
Old 02/18/2005, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

yes it will be on a closed loop. I could go with the genx 4(1200gph) but I am worried about the sand blowing all over the tank.
Old 02/18/2005, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JVHam
yes it will be on a closed loop. I could go with the genx 4(1200gph) but I am worried about the sand blowing all over the tank.
Trust me, unless you have one of the outputs poing straight down it won't happen. If you want, you could plumb a valve into the closed loop on the output side of your pump to turn it down a little if you need. Then as things start to grow and your tank fills in you could turn the pump up.

It's always cheeper to go a little over size and turn it down than it is to undersize the pump and have to replace it in a few months.

Old 02/18/2005, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

JVHam,

Breadman is correct. I would bet Anthony would tell you to put a mag36 sized pump on this with a few more outlets. My manifold has 6 outlets with a mag12 and it does not blow sand around.
Old 02/18/2005, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

WHat do you use for the intake? I could use the strainer above but it is only 3/4in and I am worried about the pump cavitating.
Old 02/18/2005, 05:50 PM
Premium Member

I use 1" PVC with LOTS of holes drilled in it. The end is capped to keep and wandering animals out of the pump. Having lots of holes in the pipe keeps the suction lower on each hole so that snails or others don't stuck to the intake.

Take a look at the intake on the closed loop from Melvs site:

http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

Old 02/18/2005, 07:19 PM
Premium Member

I mean no offense by this but the closed loop on melevs site is not exactly nice looking. The idea behind the manifold is to get the plumbing out of the tank not add more to it. Anyways, I found this http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...8652&ast=&key=
Old 02/18/2005, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

It seems to look a lot better than pvc in this tank
Old 02/18/2005, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I mean no offense by this but the closed loop on melevs site is not exactly nice looking. The idea behind the manifold is to get the plumbing out of the tank not add more to it. Anyways, I found this http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...8652&ast=&key=
No offense taken. I was just pointing his site out so you could get an idea what it looked like. I used black PVC for mine, and with the black background and the live rock you won't be able to see mine.

I think on my next tank I'm going to get it drilled for the closed loop.

Old 02/20/2005, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

I came up with a new idea last night. I once saw someone who put thier closed loop strainer in their internal overflow and it went over the back. What if I put the intake on the bottom of my overflow. I might take to much water but it might be successful? Anyone try this?
Old 02/20/2005, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

I was just wondering the same thing jvham...anyone tried this before? I was even thinking of just getting another overflow, dedicated strictlyto the closed loop pump??Thanks
Old 02/21/2005, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

Well, I gave up on the manifold. I just ordered a sea swirl and 2 maxi jet 1200's giving me 1200gph of flow. It ended up being the same price as the colsed loop. I like the manifole for large tanks but I am not sure that it was practical for me. I will post a pick of the tank once everything arrives.
Old 02/21/2005, 11:06 PM
midnight desperado

If you have a large return volume, and you place the CL intake in the overflow your overflow might not be able to keep up... (and if your return pimp fails you loose 2 pumps) I did something a little different...
I have a glass tank and my overflow is plastic... there is glass on the inside that only comes up 3/4 the way.. I drilled my CL intakes (2x 1 1/2") in the plastic above the glass and hid my plumbing inside the overflow box.. I put strainers on the intakes.. so all that I see is 2 strainers sticking out of my overflow box...
"If you don't test for it, DON'T ADD IT!!!!"
"Always strive for the optimum environment, not the minimum environment" -BrianD-
Old 02/22/2005, 01:26 PM
How YOU doin?

Quote:
I came up with a new idea last night. I once saw someone who put thier closed loop strainer in their internal overflow and it went over the back. What if I put the intake on the bottom of my overflow. I might take to much water but it might be successful? Anyone try this?
The water in the drain line (from the overflow) will be full of air bubbles, so you would have bubbles in the manifold outlet water. Good luck with the sea swirl and 2 maxi jets.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 02/22/2005, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Good luck with the sea swirl and 2 maxi jets
Do I detect sinicism?
Old 02/22/2005, 07:48 PM
How YOU doin?

No. I gave you feedback on one set-up (for you or anyone else following along) but I figured I'd make it clear that I know you decided to go with another set-up. Sorry for the confusion.

I haven't used either this type of manifold or sea swirls, so I can't really comment on either. I'm shure you have put some thought into your decision.

Happy reefing.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!