Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/02/2005, 02:37 PM
Blue

another manifold ?!

I'm planning to build a manifold for my 75 gallon RR tank. The overflow is rated for 600 gallons. After reading through the numerous manifold threads I still did have a couple of questions.

If my overflow is only rated for 600 gallons and I use a Mag36 for the manifold, will the overflow be able to supply enough water for my 30 gallon sump to keep up with the Mag36? It seems like I am pumping at least 5 times the amount of water into the tank then the overflow can deliver into the sump.

Could I use the return line that I have already installed (now running a Mag12) as the beginning of the manifold? Basically start the first T in the overflow corner and have it wrap around the tank? Switch my Mag12 to a 36 and connecting the one return pipe to the manifold? I hope that makes sense.

One more, I promise! If I decide not to use the current return, could I change that return into another durso, giving me two drains into the sump and the manifold as the only return?

Thank you in advance for your answers Anthony and everybody!
Old 02/02/2005, 02:53 PM
Anemone Rancher

This is a common question (two or three versions in the past day alone) so take a few minutes just to scan down Anthony's forum for titles involving 'flow' or 'manifold'.

Your single drain will not even come close to supplying the amount of water flow you are looking at. You might be able to deliver about 1000 gph if you used both existing drilled holes as drains. That will never be enough to supply a Mag 36.

If you did go this route you'd still have to either drill the back glass or plumb over the top for your return line to the manifold, so you might as well do the same thing for additional supply capacity.

In for a penny, in for a pound.
Old 02/02/2005, 03:13 PM
Blue

OK, that is what I was thinking but how can I run a Mag12 now in my sump with no problem and only one overflow drain?
Old 02/02/2005, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

I think the 600 GPH rating is if the drain open on both ends without the effect of suction. I have 2 1" drains on my 60 gal and I can flow all 1200 GPH through one drain. I just gets a little noisy the more you push through it.

Jason
Old 02/02/2005, 05:02 PM
Blue

Hawk72, I saw your pics on the other thread, could you explain how you have your manifold plumbed to your Mag12 for me?
artful-dodger, could you explain in detail plumbing over the top. I can't drill the tank so that is the only option I have. Are you talking about installing an overflow box to drain into the sump to increase water volume in the sump? Or straight to the pump?
Old 02/02/2005, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

This setup is my return from the sump. My pump has a 3/4" outlet. I used a pvc compression fitting without the screw on top part. This happens to fit 1" pvc pipe. Then from that i run it up to the manifold with 1" OD viynl tubing to reduce sharp bends. The viynl tubing connects to the manifold with a tee the is 1" in and 3/4" outlets reduced to 1/2" pvc pipe. I will try to get a picture of the tee where it connects to the manifold for you.

Another thought on the flow through a 1" drain, if you can keep that drain completely covered with water and not let it suck any air you could probably force close to 2000 GPH through that one drain. The only reason mine gets noisy at 1200 GPH is because it sucks some air when it drains the overflow box.

Jason
Old 02/02/2005, 05:46 PM
Blue

Thanks Jason, the pics would be helpful. Have you figured out what you will do when you increase to a Mag36?
I'm still trying to figure out how I can run a Mag12 in my sump now with only a 1" drain into the sump and an overflow rated for 600 gallons.
Old 02/02/2005, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Have you figured out what you will do when you increase to a Mag36?
Yes enjoy the increased flow!!! And finally get to hook my skimmer up. Running a tank without a skimmer is very limiting and frustrating. Lots and lots of water changes.

Jason
Old 02/02/2005, 06:22 PM
Blue

Ha! Now thats funny!!!

I meant how are you going to hook the Mag36 with the overflow that you now run? Are you going to add another overflow box or have you thought about it yet?
Old 02/02/2005, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Probably the same way. My overflows don't contain any returns. Mine is plumbed from the sump up and over the back of the tank. I will split the flow from the Mag36 into 3 lines, one for return to the tank, 1 for the skimmer and one for return to the sump. All of these will have ball valves to control flow to each line.

Jason
Old 02/02/2005, 06:58 PM
Blue

you think with three splits like that you will get enough flow for the tank?
Old 02/02/2005, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
you think with three splits like that you will get enough flow for the tank?
Yes because the 3rd line I can shutoff completely if i need to.

Here is the pic of the tee.

Jason
Old 02/04/2005, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Have any of you run a Mag 36 as an external pump? hows the heat transfer?

I was thinking about using a Mag36 to run a closed loop version of the Califo Manifold but was waved off by the LFS saying they wouldnt trust it not to leak, used externally.. any thoughts / opinions would be appreciated.
Old 02/04/2005, 11:11 AM
Anemone Rancher

I'd share their opinion. MarineDepot even has a warning on their page for the Mag pumps cautioning against using them externally.

If your sump is large enough you might consider putting the pump in the water even with direct plumbing to both intake and output...that would deal with the possibility of leaking. However, your first point about heat transfer is an issue. These big mag drive pumps do generate a lot of heat...submerging it would ensure that all of that heat will go into the water.

I ended up having to do this with a couple of Quiet One pumps that developed small leaks around the intake seal.