Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/01/2005, 09:29 AM
OverAchiever

CL manifold pump recommendations?

Hi All,

I'm going to be building an HOT (or at least over the top, probably won't "hang") closed loop manifold in the next little while. Tank is a BB SPS dominated 90 gallon (AGA "reef ready" )...

I would *like* 8 outlets, one in each corner and two on each the front and back walls, though I could be persuaded to change that, and I may add aditional per Calfo's suggestion and simply cap.

But for the sake of my question, let us assume that I will go with 8 outlets. Should be little head pressure as I will build a shelf to set the pump on.

By my very simple calculations, I am looking for a pump that will do around 3500? Giving somewhere around 400 out each outlet once HP, 90's etc, are all taken into account.

Anyone have a good suggestion on a pump that would fit this bill, and/or think I am mistaken in my calculations and/or thoughts thus far.

Kind Regards,
-dm

(PS, hear the PHX presentation was fantastic,wish I had a chance to get out and see you, but my schedule didn't mesh.)
Old 02/01/2005, 12:15 PM
Parapterois heterura

cheers, DM

we had a great time in Phoenix Do wish you could have joined us, but will look forward to another day.

Your estimate of about 3500 is spot on IMO. Perhaps a whisker higher would be nice, or be willing to cap one or two tees if needed. No biggie either way, although what I'd really suggest is having at least 10 tees here and knowing you will be capping a couple/few in advance which allows room/spaces for change in the future as the tank's needs (may) change.

As for pumps... I am a die-hard Japanese made Iwaki fan. They are (decades) time-tested and just a fabulously durable, good value. FWIW
Old 02/01/2005, 12:41 PM
OverAchiever

Cheers to you as well, thanks for a reply to a question I am sure you've answered a few dozen times already.

Since the Iwakis available to me top out at 2000 GPH, I think I'll look into one of those sequence ReefFlo's. If I build a shelf to house the pump I should be able to get an amazing amount of flow out of the "barracuda" model. Agree on the Iwaki reputation, have plenty of friends who love them.

I'm going to search the forum here for mods to your original design, wonder if I will find anyone who has run one of the tee's down low with an "extension" piece of PVC to get some extra flow on the surface of a BB tank. I bet I'll find that, and if I don't you can be sure I'll try it anyway!

Glad you got to enjoy some of our sunshine for a few days (I'm a transplant from the east, spent years living in Bucks County then onto Upstate NY).

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.
-dm