Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2004, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

Bristle Worms

It seems to me that bristle worms get kind of a bad rap from some while others sing their praises and all the different information is confusing to me. I have a 40gal seahorse/pipefish tank and I have read that Bristle worms are bad because they can harm my seahorses and pipefish. Can you please clarify if this is really true. I have several bristle worms that range from a couple of inches to one or two that are well over 6 inches. My seahorses are eating frozen mysis and often pick them off the sand and get very close to the worms. If I am destined to evict these guys, can you tell me how to go about it.

Thank you.
llaaadyel
Old 12/06/2004, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

Hi,

See my three part series in the March through May, 2003 issues of [rk] which discusses these worms in aquaria. The only way one of the common fireworms can harm your fish is if the fish impales it itself on the defensive bristles of the worm. The worms are generally benign and exceptionally helpful scaverngers in marine aquaria.
Old 12/06/2004, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

u need to get rid of them they will eat your seahores and pipe buy a trap or whenever u see one grab it with somthing
Old 12/06/2004, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Bristle Worms

I guess now you can understand my confusion on this subject.

thanks
llaaadyel
Old 12/06/2004, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

Re: Bristle Worms

Quote:
Originally posted by llaaadyel
I guess now you can understand my confusion on this subject.
After you read the articles referred to in Dr. Ron's reply above, go to his web site and read some of his other online articles. I think it's pretty obvious which opinion holds more weight.

[Rant]
I do find it annoying when people post information that contradicts what Dr. Ron says without providing any supporting data or links to references. This isn't directed at anyone specific, and I'm not trying to flame, but I have noticed quite a few posts like that since I started reading this forum. I would be interested in seeing information that contradicts Dr. Ron, as long as there is supporting data or references. As a scientist, I am sure Dr. Ron would like to see that kind of information also.
Please note that this little rant mostly applies to threads Dr. Ron has responded to.
[/Rant]
Old 12/06/2004, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

Personally, I'll go with the guy who can spell the word "you" correctly.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 12/06/2004, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Old 12/06/2004, 06:44 PM
forever newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by KDodds
Personally, I'll go with the guy who can spell the word "you" correctly.
The legends LFS employees will tell you about bristle worms... Some of those guys are 13 or 14 years old...

"The rivers may flow away from us,but the rains are brought to us.With prayer that we may all live in peace."
Anthony Calfo
Old 12/06/2004, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

I've heard the bristle worms eat people. And dragons.

Dave
Old 12/07/2004, 08:41 AM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Good stuff...

Zoanthid collector, Monitpoa sp. afficianado, Yuma snob and fan of the Mantis family.
Old 12/07/2004, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruu
I've heard the bristle worms eat people. And dragons.

Dave
I was wondering how a bristle worm could actually eat my seahorses and was picturing them wrapping themselves around the fish like an anaconda and constricting the life out of them. I think Ill have to agree with Kdodds and go with the gentleman that has the PHD after his name and the spelling advantage.

Thank you Dr. Ron and I will certainly be reading your articles to learn more about these sea monsters.

Llaaadyel
Old 12/07/2004, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

My tank is currently quite literally filled with bristleworms and Mantis shrimp. They have yet to kill one-another.

Dave
Old 12/07/2004, 06:54 PM
forever newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by llaaadyel
I was wondering how a bristle worm could actually eat my seahorses and was picturing them wrapping themselves around the fish like an anaconda and constricting the life out of them.
Hey, that might of worked if they tried...

The next story you might hear would be something about a huge worm that comes out of the tank at night and sucks blood out of your dog or cat using some huge pincers to break the skin...

"The rivers may flow away from us,but the rains are brought to us.With prayer that we may all live in peace."
Anthony Calfo
Old 12/07/2004, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Hey, I think I have one of those... Well, HAD... a Hermodice, probably 2' long or so (difficult to tell when they can compact and stretch). Ate my shrooms, couple of large wild boars, that kind of stuff.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 12/07/2004, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

We had a cow once. Old buttermilk never knew what hit her....

Dave