Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2004, 08:39 AM
TOF

zhangg3

Quote:
Originally posted by zhangg3
Rebels23,

I didn't receive any PMs from you but I still hope to get the complete setup.
RC's PM's were totally goofed up yesterday. The group is getting bigger through! Excellent!
HTH
Tagamet (NCPARS - the PA group, also in on the group buy)
Old 01/04/2004, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to give you an update on our little group order. Like I said, I can honestly say, I didn't believe we would get anywhere near the 11+ complete CA reactor setups needed for the 15% discount. But surprisingly, after doing a count we are getting closer!!!

Even if we do not meet the 15% off requirement, we have enough at this point for a 10% off discount on reactors only. Not to fret about the CO2 equipment. I have found a local supplier in the area that is willing to give us good prices on the CO2 equipment and media. I have also been asked to speak to ereeftank.com and premiumaquatics.com for a possible group discount on the CO2 equipment for our local clubs. They have confirmed they are willing to do that!!! I will need to discuss with them further on prices. Everything looks great right now, and a whole complete CA reactor setup looks like it can be bought for a very decent price!

Update list so far :
New York
pmui - Nielsen Reactor
stealyourhouse - Nielsen Reactor
kraz4reefs - Complete CA Reactor Setup
rebels23 - Complete CA Reactor Setup
zhangg3 - Complete CA Reactor Setup
cgh38 - Complete CA Reactor Setup
quantimo - Possible dual chamber CA Reactor if money is there
danny - (manhattanreefs, will do Complete CA Reactor Setup if ~330.00)
gregs - Single Chamber Reactor (from Cali, didn't realize that, will need to speak with Jorge first as he mentioned it is only a group buy for our local clubs)

PA
nixnutx - Nielsen Reactor
JonK - Nielsen Reactor
Tagamet - Nielsen Reactor (may turn into complete CA reactor package)
picassomike - Complete CA Reactor Setup
Fizz71 - Single Chamber Reactor

Also, when I say Complete CA Reactor package, I mean :
Calcium Reactor Chamber
CO2 Dual Guage, solenoid, needle valve
CO2 Tank

The PH controllers are optional, so you will need to let me know if you want one. Also, the next time I update prices, I will include the cost of the media, tubing and possibly an extra powerhead.

Thanks
Rebels23
Old 01/04/2004, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Can any one get in on this deal? Or is it just the people in NY and PA. I am interested in a single chamber complete set up. I'm in Cincinnati, OH. Can it be shipped here? Thanks.

Jeff
Old 01/04/2004, 03:32 PM
Who smells nitrous?

i Might be intrested in a dual chamber 1/4 acr. complete setup
Old 01/05/2004, 02:07 AM
Registered Member

Hey Guys,

There is a local in NYC who fabricates calcium and nielsen reactors. Here is their website. They are offering us competitive prices on a grou buy also. What do you think?

http://www.geocities.com/reefcurrents/

Rebels23
Old 01/05/2004, 02:48 AM
TOF

Rebel

Quote:
Originally posted by Rebels23
Hey Guys,
There is a local in NYC who fabricates calcium and nielsen reactors. Here is their website. They are offering us competitive prices on a grou buy also. What do you think?
http://www.geocities.com/reefcurrents/
Rebels23
I think that I have officialy hit "analysis paralysis" mode. Too many options, from too many vendors, with too many variables (like thickness of cast and capacity for media). In a small way, I can plead exhaustion. It's after 2 a.m. and I just got back from a trip that's normally ~7.5 hour round trip "frag run" with the return trip being complicated by fog and ice (> 5+ hours). Kennerd sold me ~10 frags of SPS for a great price. Nice guy, very accomidating, and beautiful Acros, pocci's, and milleporas. It'll be 3:30 until they are acclimated fully, but then I'll just place them in the LR temporarily until I can mount them properly tomorrow after work. Well worth the trip though. Thanks Ken.
Night all.
Tagamet
Old 01/05/2004, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

reefcurrents

HI! to everyone:

Hey rebels23, I just looked at what reef currents is offering. It looks like the same package as reeftek but with the PH controller
thrown into the package.

what do you think, have they been in business long any remarks about the reactor.
Old 01/05/2004, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

rebels, I checked out reef currents deal, sound good to me, I'm in if everyone else wants to go with it. I would want the full package deal for $355-, hopefully we can get 10 people in on it.
Scott
Old 01/05/2004, 04:53 PM
NCPARS Founding Member

The bottom line is that CA reactors are not that complicated of a system as far as building them is concerned. I'm sure there's thousands of people out there making them if you go hunting.

What I want to know is what have other people who bought them thought? I'd pay an extra $10 to buy something from somebody that has sold alot of them and has alot of great feedback from their users rather than saving a couple of bucks to go with an unknown who has a leaky seal 1 out of every 10 he makes. Not saying any of the before mentioned vendors are like that..I'm saying I don't know!

--Fizz
Old 01/05/2004, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

I'll join in

I've been reading this thread and I'd sure like to save a bit on the purchase of my reactor.

If this proposed group purchase becomes a reality...

Please e-mail to kirksimon@comcast.net
Old 01/05/2004, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

sounds like a good deal but you got to be careful sometimes you get what you pay for ,I heard nothing but good things about reeftek though , just my 2c.
Old 01/05/2004, 06:58 PM
Who smells nitrous?

this just got confusing...
Old 01/05/2004, 07:19 PM
TOF

reef currents

Quote:
Originally posted by cgh38
sounds like a good deal but you got to be careful sometimes you get what you pay for ,I heard nothing but good things about reeftek though , just my 2c.
Maybe it's not the best indicator of quality or lack thereof, but a vendor with a geocities web address does not inspire confidence.
I think we should go with Jorge at reeftek. He's gotten great feedback for a consistently quality product and customer support. He's gone the extra mile on individual shipping and billing. And he's been the most flexible in the packages or ala' carte ordering. For examle, if people want quarter inch cast instead of 1/8th cast, it's $20 more. Given that it's going to take some time to have them built, at some point we just need to decide and order.
My last two cents.
Tagamet
Old 01/05/2004, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Tagamet and others, I agree after your responces, I too think we should stay with Jorge, after all he was the reason this thread was started. He also has great feedback and should be quality products.

Rebels, lets get this going and get some reactors.
Old 01/05/2004, 09:09 PM
Moved On

Hi everyone. im the owner of reefcurrents. I understand your objections to going with me. If you look the first paragraph it states that it is a temp website so that everyone involved in this group buy could look at pictures and specs without having to kill rebels with questions. Our permanent site is being worked on and will be up in a few weeks. I stand behind all of my work. I use only top quality materials and the workmanship is guarnteed for 5 years. I am also local as im located in Queens NY . I hope this helps clear a few things up, id love to have your business and if there is anythign i can do just let me know

Last edited by DannyD; 01/05/2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01/05/2004, 10:04 PM
TOF

Quote:
Originally posted by DannyD
Hi everyone. im the owner of reefcurrents. I understand yoru poobjections to going with me. If you look the first paragraph states that it is a temp website so that everyone involved in this group buy could look at pictures and specs without having to kill rebels with questions. Our permanent site is being worked on and will be up in a few weeks. I stand behind all of my work. It use only top quality materials and the workmanship is guarnteed for 5 years. I am also local as im located in queens NY . I hope this helps clear a few things up id love to have your business and if there is anythign i can do just let me know
Danny,
Just a tip, but you could start by proofreading your posts.
Tagamet
Old 01/05/2004, 10:10 PM
Moved On

Sorry about that, i started the post and was getting called away saw i didnt have a chance to read through it. I edited it so it should be better now.
Old 01/06/2004, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

group buy reactors

Hey Rebels23:

Whatever reactor the group agrees to I'm ready to go. If we go with reeftek, can you get me a price on the PH controller from your connection.As someone mentioned it will take some time for all these reactors to be built. I guess I have to buy 2-part alk-calc solution since I am running low on B-ionic.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 01/07/2004, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Everyone please read,

I have recently witnessed someone here on reefcentral try to pull a few fast ones. In the past a user by the name of wedfr aka mdlr1, aka reefcurrents was using these names as a whole to purposely mislead and fool others (by replying to his own threads, etc). I recently exposed him in a thread here and he eventually got banned from RC:

Light experiment scam

Everyone, if you are thinking about buying anything at all from reefcurrents do NOT! He is the same person as wedfr, mdlr1, and as this post shows, DannyD.

If you still don't believe me, the following two links explain even more:
Pump incident

In the above, he tried to scam a few people out of pump money until the heat was turned on.

He has bad feedback in the seller forum here:
feedback on reefcurrents, mdlr1, wedfr, DannyD

I'd seriously becareful as I have made it almost my personal mission to stop this guy from scamming anyone anymore. It appears to be working as people have been getting their money back recently (only after threatening him with authorities). I am sad to see that he has returned as DannyD, but happy to see that a moderator has noticed this and banned him before any of us did. I'd take my business elsewhere if I were you guys.

Hope this helps someone

PLEASE BECAREFUL!!!!

Last edited by ExtremeReefer; 01/07/2004 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01/07/2004, 12:28 PM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by ExtremeReefer
Everyone, if you are thinking about buying anything at all from reefcurrents do NOT! He is the same person as wedfr, mdlr1, and as this post shows, DannyD.

Without getting too deep into it, I can confirm that wedfr, mdlr1, and DannyD are 1 and the same. Follow the above posted links, and decide for yourself what you want to do.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 01/07/2004, 12:35 PM
TOF

Thanks DgenR8

Quote:
Originally posted by DgenR8
Without getting too deep into it, I can confirm that wedfr, mdlr1, and DannyD are 1 and the same. Follow the above posted links, and decide for yourself what you want to do.
Thanks, that info does help. Just like Bill O'Reily - fair and balanced (g).
Tagamet
Old 01/07/2004, 03:15 PM
Moved On

I read this thread and just wanted to put in a good word for ReefCurrents, Im a friend so it may not mean much but if you read all the "So called negatives about him" its not really all that negative just shipped a few things out late. If you do a full search on wedfr, reefcurrents etc youll find he has alot of good feedback. Also Extremereefer you keep calling it a lighting scam. It was not a scam he was trying to do the community a service and refunded all money as reported by the peopel who donated to him. I take offense to it as his friend and i think you should state facts not your opinion when you make such acusations. Like i said i know him personally so it may not mean much but he is an honest guy and ive seen his work and it is top notch. I have a few pieces he made for me and am very happy with them.
Old 01/07/2004, 03:22 PM
NCPARS Founding Member

It may be true, it may be over exhagerated, who knows...but the bottom line is if he gets things out late, what will happen with 15 reactors to do.

I put my vote in for ReefTek. Sorry ReefCurrents..Like I said before...there are alot of people making them at around the same price, so it's quality, reputation AND service that become the key.

--Fizz
Old 01/07/2004, 03:44 PM
Moved On

Yeah thats something youd have to take up with him when you make your deal. Have a guarantee on delivery date or something. I know hes usually very prompt. Im sure he had a reason for late shipping but i dont want to speak for him. I guess the best thing is to contact him by email. or through the organizer of the group order. Good luck guys whoever you go with
Old 01/07/2004, 03:46 PM
TOF

Fizz71

Quote:
Originally posted by Fizz71
It may be true, it may be over exhagerated, who knows...but the bottom line is if he gets things out late, what will happen with 15 reactors to do.
I put my vote in for ReefTek. Sorry ReefCurrents..Like I said before...there are alot of people making them at around the same price, so it's quality, reputation AND service that become the key.
--Fizz
I totally agree with you, and for the life of me I can't think of a single good reason to log on RC under 3 different handles - unless I was trying to run from a bad rep.
Tagamet