Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2003, 06:35 PM
ren and stimpy

Talking Got another Tort today

I ordered the blue tort from ORA through my local store and it came in today. Very good sized frag, the coloration is very similar to the colony(ies) that Reefer on a Budget has. A very light violet color with a small amount of green. Not at all like the coloration of the Oregon tort which i have as well, the oregon tort is much more royal blue/purple color.

I hope the "california" tort that ORA sells grows good for me, the oregon tort is doing very well, great polyp extension but from what i hear it is an incredibly slow grower.

i will get some pics up later tonight or tomorrow.

it was my birthday present for today to myself
Old 12/03/2003, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

Hey, it's close enough now you can call it an early Christmas present

- Mac
Old 12/03/2003, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Happy birthday, Kozmo!!
Old 12/03/2003, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

Can't have to many torts.. I just got one from Tropical Paradise and it sounds like we have the same type. Hopefully these grow faster than the royal blue ones
Old 12/03/2003, 08:17 PM
ren and stimpy

i hope it grows fast. was pretty easy on the wallet too, only $40.

Mandoman- thank you!
Old 12/03/2003, 09:23 PM
Compulsive Reefer

Happy birthday. Im jealous you have two torts.. I dont even have one. LOL

Have a good night

John
Old 12/03/2003, 10:00 PM
Blob Sculpin:King of Fish

Quote:
Originally posted by AlgaeMan
I just got one from Tropical Paradise and it sounds like we have the same type. Hopefully these grow faster than the royal blue ones
I picked up a 3" tall, 4 branch frag from Eddie about 9 months ago. It's now 7" tall with dozens of branches. It is my second fastest growing SPS after a green slimer that sits next to it. The two have a couple of branches that are actually touching now, yet neither seems the least bit affected by the other. I'd be snapping off slimer branches immediately if I saw a problem.

My blue tort lost a tiny little branch tip about a month ago that I picked up and placed at the top of the highest LR in my tank. It was coloring up even more than the mother colony and showing bright green polyps. That is, until a couple of days ago, when I set a branch of an orange digitata next to it as a temporary home until I brought it to a frag exchange next weekend. Overnight, the tort frag bleached to a brilliant white.

Looks like I will try this again soon, since there are no traces of green polyps on the mother colony yet, just blue and purple.
-Ron
Old 12/03/2003, 11:08 PM
Majanos Beware!!!

Quote:
coloration is very similar to the colony(ies) that Reefer on a Budget has
Just an FYI, the ORA tort is the same Tort that Reefer on a Budget has. AKA "California" Tort, Shawn Bennett Tort, and Schweb Tort. It sure is a popular one.

I got one from ORA as well. Mine has been a real immpressive grower. That's not what I expected. Much faster than my Oregon Tort. Some Pics

The ORA

and the Oregon

Happy B-Day Kozmo!!!
Old 12/03/2003, 11:43 PM
ren and stimpy

thanks guys for the b-day comments.

salty i think you may be wrong about shawn bennett, i am pretty sure he has the oregon tort, as far as schweb im not sure, i know that ROAB has the cali tort, but i am almost positive that shawn has oregon and thats why people go nuts over it because it is monsterous.

im hoping my cali tort grows out really well because i know my oregon tort wont do much.
Old 12/04/2003, 12:06 AM
Full Time Tank Slave

but i am almost positive that shawn has oregon and thats why people go nuts over it b

I should've asked him when I was there but I couldn't utter a single word cause I was speechless pondering over the size of that thing. He sure is a cool guy. I will be the proud owner of his Tort shortly. His whole tank and colonies are awesome......
Old 12/04/2003, 12:15 AM
Majanos Beware!!!

Actually.....

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...11#post2005611

The huge Oregon Tort that people go nuts over is right here

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=277403

Man that thing is AWESOME!!!!
Old 12/04/2003, 12:29 AM
Go Terps!

My ORA Tort is growing much faster than I expected as well!
Old 12/04/2003, 12:39 AM
AIM: reefer on a budget

here's some "cali tort lineage" for you:
originator was bob menkin, aka coralfarms.com (no longer in existence). he used to bring in soloman disks exclusively and this tort happened to be one of the pieces.
schweb picked it up and grew it out to a montrous colony. he sold/traded frags of it.

as stated earlier this is also aka:
ORA, shawnbennett, roab, sps_guy (who i happened to get my frag from 2 years ago and was one of the 1st to really farm this coral out)

it is not the same as the oregon obviously since it can develop green hues and can switch from purple to blue depending on lighting.

it grows 10times faster than the oregon tort. i have several colonies of the cali tort and have fragged it so many times that i lost count
Old 12/04/2003, 12:57 AM
ren and stimpy

sorry bout that salty, guess i was wrong

ROAB, thanks for the clarification, thats awesome, i hope my my ORA tort grows just as fast as yours, i have it under 2x250w 10,000k AB double ended halides and 2x110 watt VHO's on my 90 gallon.

CA/Alk/Mg all in check, dual stage CA reactor, drip kalk, all that good stuff
Old 12/04/2003, 01:10 AM
Majanos Beware!!!

NP Kozmo I'll forgive you just cause it's your B-Day

Great story Roab!!
Old 12/04/2003, 01:20 AM
ren and stimpy

ROAB, what conditions does your cali tort seem to prefer, right now mine is up at the top of the tank, about 7 inches under the halide and a few inches away from its direct "beam of light" and gets good flow.

what do you suggest?
Old 12/04/2003, 07:13 AM
Registered Member

2 ORA torts?

From what I have seen ORA is selling 2 different morphs of the tort, the more blue w/green polyps that was at MACNA this year and a more purple thinner branched variety .
Old 12/04/2003, 01:46 PM
ren and stimpy

mine is the thinner branched variety, similar to ROAB's, the one that saltyseaman posted is different than mine, i may have to track that one down as well.
Old 12/04/2003, 02:40 PM
Majanos Beware!!!

Interesting ...... It does look a wee it different. Here is what it has done over the past almost 2 months exactly.

It lost a little bit og the blue with the growth. I guess it's time for a bulb change .

ROAB, have you seen any of your frags take on a coloratiuon and growth pattern similar to this one above?

Here's a pic of ROAB's TORT.

Old 12/04/2003, 02:44 PM
Moved On

I looked on ora's website bnut can't find it , am I overlooking it? http://www.orafarm.com/invert.html#stony
Old 12/04/2003, 02:48 PM
Majanos Beware!!!

They don't have it on their Website Allenreef. Actually they offer a BUNCH more SPS than they have listed on their site.

Now that I look at the pics of mine and ROAB's right next to each other they look pretty darn similar ..... Hmmm, what do you think ROAB?
Old 12/04/2003, 04:37 PM
Moved On

my lfs can get ora stuff but they have a hard time getting the tort, i was hoping to get a link to print out for them...
Old 12/04/2003, 04:41 PM
ren and stimpy

they shouldnt have a hard time, we put in an order and 3 days later they sent it out. just have your store contact ORA for details.

mine doesnt have the colorations yours does but mine is still a small frag, it may grow into what you have, the corallites dont seem as round as yours, they stick out more pencil like and it is a skinny branch, seems like it is very fragile too, when i was glueing it into place it felt very light compared to most frags.

i think my variety is similar to ROAB but who knows, hopefully it will grow good and then i can post pics of a small colony to get some feedback
Old 12/06/2003, 01:50 AM
Majanos Beware!!!

I just PM'ed Dustin Dorton at ORA. Hopefully he can let us all know how many different Strains of Tortuosa he is offering and hopefully give some more insight on their lineage.
Old 12/06/2003, 03:38 AM
ren and stimpy

yea, please post on this thread the results of your email.