Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 09:33 AM
15 & Over Club

Lightbulb Solution to carbon bags that tear (cheap and tough)

When I installed the couple hundred linear feet of garden raised bed. I stumbled upon product to prevent my drainage runs from clogging. I then decided I should try these in reef tank.
Darn it if they do not work perfectly.
And at 10 feet for $5 or $6 and cut to your size and reusable and VERY durable. You cannot beat this stuff.

I cannot stand paying good money for chemical/carbon filtration bags that have cheap draw strings. Tear if you don't handle them with kid gloves. And worst of all tear while taking them out of sump, wetdry, or overflow. I had a carbon bag break one time and shoot into the flow and through the wetdry, the sump and even out into the tank. Not nice.

I've reused this bag many times so far and it seems to work great. It even does a little particulate polishing. Again...for the money and durablity these are great find. Undo the gently pulle d (not to tight) and I can rinse and refill, rinse and reuse as needed.

Thought I'd share.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...arbon_Bag2.jpg

They appear to be available at BOTH Home Depot and Lowes.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Nice find!
Old 01/11/2008, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

That's a good idea. What is it made out of?
Old 01/11/2008, 02:37 PM
15 & Over Club

Well, the back of the label says "do not leave the trench open, exposed to rain and sunlight."

Now, it can't be a mineralization issue with the rain destroying the fabric. It's in the ground covered with gravel and then dirt and water seaps through it to get into the drain to be carried off to storm leach bed or storm drain depending upon application.

So the 2 possiblities that I can concieve are that the rain if downpour could tear it? Or maybe wet with the sunlight on it the UV damages it worse than UV alone? I don't know what it is made of. It is definately some kind of polyester or nylon weave of some sort.

http://www.carriff.com/Products/aquasleeve.htm

I know it's almost snag proof and it allows great flowthrough. And my tanks are NOT showing any ills. I will keep using it. Until I build a separate chemical reactor system or add some inlines this is going to be part of my setups. It's easy and a big step up from using the orange and peach nylons I bought (for my tanks) on clearance.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

I found the MSDS on the web site you listed. Here is what it says

Health Hazard and First Aid Data
Note: The polyester fabric of the sock is
non-toxic.

Hope this helps

Adam
Old 01/11/2008, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

I have used the cheap mesh laundry bags from the $ stores in the past, cut out the size I need put the media in and close with a rubber band and when the media needs changed I just toss the old in the trash and make a new 1 last about a year