Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

My RedSeaMax cracked, anyone have a room for rent?

This morning my 34gallon RedSeaMax tank cracked. About half the water leaked out of the tank. The leak has slowed but I need to store my stuff somewhere. Is there anyone on the Westside that has room in a quarantine tank for my stuff? I took a picture of the container my corals will be in and here is also a picture of the cracked tank. I do have 5 fish (1 clown, firefish, gramma, sixline wrasse, and a yallow goby) 1 fire shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 emerald crabs and various snails and hermit crabs.

Old 01/06/2008, 10:15 AM
GO BEARS!!

I'm not on the westside but could hold whatever you need me to if no one else speaks up. I'm at Hayden and Cactus.

Ryan
Old 01/06/2008, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

I don't have the room in mine to keep all that, but man I feel for you. I am so sorry you woke up to that! Can I ask how that happened? I am all worried about mine now! I see you have tile for flooring, I have Bamboo through out my house and I would be devastated to wake up to that.

I don't have a quarantine tank I would have to put things directly in my tank. So if no one speaks up soon we can see what we can do about placing some of the small stuff it in my tank. I am switching lights out tomorrow, so my tank is going to be torn apart some, fyi.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

I don't know why it happened, it was doing just fine and then I hear a waterfall in my living room. The crack goes from the top all the way to the bottom. I can see this maybe happening if I had a large piece or rock fall into the glass but it is in the front where I do not have any rock. I bet I am going to have to buy a whole new redsea tank setup instead of just being able to buy just the glass; which sucks because I already have the nanocustoms HD setup. Ryan, how much room do you have? Also, what do I do with the life rock, will I be able to keep it alive if I leave it in buckets of the tank water, if so, how long will it stay alive for?
Old 01/06/2008, 10:29 AM
My Boys

how long did you have it
and to think I wanted to buy a red sea
man I am sorry
I had a jbj do that a yr ago
It's Not The Beginning Or The End That Counts It's The Journey That Gets You There That Matters.Autism Is Just A Symptom.Over Coming It Is A Challenge.A Disability Is The Ability To Do Things Differently.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

I only had it since May.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

I am on the Westside, but my tank is way to new to risk putting anything in there.

I do have a empty 5 gallon QT tank your welcome to borrow.

Just let me know
Old 01/06/2008, 10:42 AM
My Boys

here's a quick fix shram. rubber rubbermaid and sterile makes these tubs. you can buy them at walmart. they have rope handles. put rock and and corals in it. a power head, and some type of filtration also light would be needed. it will work great. I don't have room. other wise I would offer it. I have used this method many times.
It's Not The Beginning Or The End That Counts It's The Journey That Gets You There That Matters.Autism Is Just A Symptom.Over Coming It Is A Challenge.A Disability Is The Ability To Do Things Differently.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:49 AM
Premium Member

Shramj,
sorry to hear about your disaster. Really strange this happened. The RSM has quite thick glass and is pretty solid. Never heard this before.

Perhaps you can go to Petco or Petsmart. They always have some specials going on.
Or you get one of their cheap complete setups (tank, filter, heater and light). Perhaps a 5-10 gallon or so depending what they have on sale. You can go for a while without a skimmer. Just use your RSM filter media in the new tank. If you had an additional powerhead in the RSM use this one in the new tank also.
or
you get just the tank and add a canister filter. Put in there your RSM filter media and powerhead.
Maybe you can put your original RSM lights over the tank?

It is not waste money as you can always use this in the future as a QT or frag tank in the future

Hope you can save all your corals and fish

Michael
MAXreefer
Old 01/06/2008, 10:53 AM
My Boys

I think the plastic bin will work the best its cheep reliable. and wouldn't blow out on you. the bins I am talking about are some thick plastic. a friend of mines cracked his tank. and used this method for 6 months untill he got a new tank
Old 01/06/2008, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

I have been fixing a few of those. If anyone traveling to Flag Sunday, they can stop by and pickup one of my repair jobs for a temp solution. I use the broken ones for QT and baby fish.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:02 AM
HELP SLOW

I have also used Ryan's idea. Works great and is inexpensive. You can prolly find something that the lights will go over.

I use these plastic containers for sumps and refugiums too.

Go to a Walmart and check out the variety.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Grab the power heads out of the back use them for water movement in the bins or whatever you use for temp storage. I will be switching to a MH tomorrow so I wont be using the stock lid. Maybe we can use it for your lighting needs? Or I can get a hold of a friend who has a few PC fixtures you can use. Man I just really feel for you what an awful thing to have to deal with!
Old 01/06/2008, 11:26 AM
O-Qua Tangin Wann

I have a few powerheads and a heater that you can borrow.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

After about 1/2 the tank drained, it really slowed down. I got all the corals out and then it gave way again and started pouring out again. Right now, we got all the fish, inverts, and live rock out. I do have everything in 3 different containers but I was able to put a power head in each one for now. I am going to Target and will find a larger container so I can get everything in one container. I can take my hood off my tank and will try to use it on the new container. Thanks everyone for the help! I was so happy yesterday, I fragged my first corals, did a water change, added some extra sand, cleaned it really good and now this. However it could be worse, the tank could have completely give and lost everything, thank god it slowed about half way so I could get everything out.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Man, that sucks I'm sorry.

I think I'm noticing a trend with these tanks that have the curved glass like that. I've now heard of more than a few "randomly" cracking, just like that.

I have also used the walmart tubs. They work well and are super cheap. I would go that route. Less transporting your livestock = less stress for them and you.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:37 AM
HELP SLOW

I was so happy yesterday, I fragged my first corals, did a water change, added some extra sand, cleaned it really good and now this.

So true. That is one thing about this hobby that causes so many to leave. It is always something. (if ya know what I mean and if ya don't.....you will)

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

Just a thought and I could be completely wrong:
If you are going to use your RSM hood with the MH lights which produces quite some heat is that going to be an issue for the "plastic" tub?

Michael
MAXreefer
Old 01/06/2008, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

If there's any way I can help, let me know. I have a bunch of extra wood (from building my 90g stand) if we need to fab something to set your light on so it's secure over the tub I'll be there.

Home Depot has a sale on the rubber tub's, not sure if there beating the price on the larger ones but I bought 4 of the little 20g ones for under 4.00 each.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

If needed it have space in my 120g tank. As for the fish not sure since might be a really pain getting out.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

I am going to make something for the hood myself, I just did some trim work in my house so I have some scraps. I got all the livestock and most the rock in one of those buckets. The rest of the rock is in another bucket. I am going to call AZSeaBottom at noon and see if they have another tank in. This totally sucks but it could have been worse, we could have been at work or out of town. I am hoping I do not loss too much live stock. I could see how having multiple tanks would be a great benefit.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:36 PM
GO BEARS!!

I probably have room for almost everything with possibly the execption being some LR. PM me if you need any help. Thanks

Ryan
Old 01/06/2008, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

CRACK AT CORNER EDGE--STRESS????

After you've saved your livestock, E-mail, call or otherwise contact the manufacturer and send them your pictures. Ask for an explanation as to why this would happen or what could have caused it. I would be leary to buy another without having some type of answer. Fortunately your in a great saltwater community so you have fellow reefers to help you out.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

there is a warranty call red sean and talk to pinky!
Old 01/06/2008, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stephensturman
there is a warranty call red sean and talk to pinky!
Pinky is still there?

Dealt with him about 3 years ago via email. Some of the best customer service I have ever had from anywhere.