Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Seahorse Babies have arrived! (Pics!)

Seahorse Babies have arrived!

They're actually my brother's, who just left home for vacation to Cali for a couple of days. And of course he's totally unreachable and I have no idea what to do now!

So far, I've removed them all from the tank and put it in an hang-on container so that no one will eat them.

I am open to any advice

Thank you,

Old 12/27/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

The adult seahorse looks like a reidi; so assuming these are reidi fry...
First, don't beat yourself up if they don't survive. Seahorse fry are very difficult to rear, and reidi fry are some of the most difficult.
Second, if you would like ot raise them, you will need to put them in a seperate tank with an open airline. You will need live rotifers and newly hatched baby brine shrimp to feed them, and you will need to be able to do daily water changes. There are some excellent threads on raising fry in this forum http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showforum=9 and you can do a search in it for "reidi" to find more specific information. This is also a good article http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...aleerectus.pdf
Old 12/27/2007, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

i just moved my lovely seahbabies into a breeder net inside the tank, along with some algae and live baby brine shrimp.

i'll do my best to keep them alive

thanks for the tip ann83
Old 12/27/2007, 04:08 PM
I bite!

Great Pics!
Old 12/27/2007, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

thanks
Old 12/27/2007, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

In your 3rd pic it looks like the fry are hitching to each other. I would put something in there to see if they do hitch.

They need to eat about every 6 hours and should not be overfed. Put just enough food for them to feed for an hour at the most.

They will die if the snick air at the surface. This is real concern if the fry don't hitch

Good luck.

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.
Old 12/27/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

hidroid,

most of the them are at the very top.

it looks like the surface pushes the little babies to "float" and they can't get out and swim down. this happens especially at the borders along the breeder net.

I am not sure if i'm being clear, but it's like there a little "force" that hold the babies up and keeps them there.

i feel like my breeder net was a bad idea. when i first saw them this morning they were against the glass but all over the aquarium, which looked fine. i just saw the goby and the clown fish going around them and i panicked.

anyway, let's see what happens. plus these seahorses aren't even mine

thanks,