Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/08/2007, 01:11 AM
Premium Member

Aurora CO here i come

I will do my move from Southern California to Aurora Colorado in Jul next year. I will have my big tank with me (96x48x24) approx 480g with 150g sump/prop system.

I would like to learn more about the weather in Aurora, CO. I know it is going to cold . But that is not my biggest concern, i care more about the summer, the humidity so i can get all the equipment necessary prior to my move. I know someone will ask

Why don't i wait until i get there then decide what i want to get?

I am not worry about the move. Because the government will have professional mover come and pack all my stuff lucky me.

I may be able to get it cheaper here and avoid shipping cost.

Most important question

What is the electricity cost over there?

How much per Kw?

More than likely the tank will be in the basement (I've never see a basement before in my life.) I have heard basement don't have good ventilation. What do i need to bring in fresh air or export hot air.

That is it for now. I will think of more question to ask later...

Thank you all.

Steve
Old 11/08/2007, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

Hello Steve,
The Denver, Aurora area is pretty dry most of the time. It does get humid sometimes. As far as basements go, they stay cooler most of the year. That is why I have my sump plumbed into the basement. I used to have heat issues all through the summer months. As far as elec prices, you could look up Excel Energy Colrado to get prices. Or someone else will know that.
HTH's
Old 11/08/2007, 08:36 AM
Premium Member

electricity is a hell of a lot cheaper then in souther cal. Its about .07-.09/kWh.
Basements make great locations for tanks out here because they can keep the tank temps stable. Basements stay cool all year long, which usually means you dont need a chiller. As for humidity.. what humidity? i believe we are classified as a semi arid desert.
Old 11/08/2007, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Electricity is cheaper here than SoCal and the gulf coast in the east. The only humidity here is when it rains! It is dry like Riverside Ca. here. More days of sun per year than Miami, it's just not always warm when it is sunny.
Are you going to be @ Buckley? There is a ton of homes in the area, if you have kids, look at homes in the Cherry Creek School District. If your tank runs hot in Cali, you will probably want a chiller here during the summer. If you like micro brew beer, you are in luck, there is TONS of it in Co.
When the time comes for looking for a house, drop me a PM, I know a great realtor to help you find a place who really goes to bat for you.
Bill
Old 11/08/2007, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

and when your ready to power that tank by the sun.. Look me up
ohhh and welcome to the reef club.
rates can be as high as .47/kWh in cali.. we are SOOOO lucky here. Just one small problem with colorado IMO.. the lack of ocean!
Old 11/08/2007, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

Hello guys, thank you for the reply and useful information. I will definately need to purchase a house (i am not moving anymore ). This is the 4th times i have to move in the past 11 years in the Marine Corps.

BMB, i will be station at Buckley AFB. I should be in town in Apr or May to look for a house. I have been researching for house in Aurora area, i was shock with the housing price in Colorado.

"and when your ready to power that tank by the sun.. Look me up
ohhh and welcome to the reef club."

Are you talking about solar roof? I may not be able to afford for the solar roof but i sure need the electrician to run separate breaker in my house for the reef tank

I don't have any heat problem with my tank due to the large water volume. So reef tank in the basement is a good idea.

rates can be as high as .47/kWh in cali.. we are SOOOO lucky here. Just one small problem with colorado IMO.. the lack of ocean!

You are kidding me right if i am 300% over the baseline, looking at $.66/kWh. I used 1000kWh + monthly... Ouch. As far as the lack of Ocean, i don't mind. I have seen enough ocean to last me a life time.

Did you just said "BEER" that is the magic word. I love beer even though i am not much of a drinker now due to the aged and long distance drive daily but i love beer

I know a great realtor to help you find a place who really goes to bat for you.
Bill

Bill if you can get me the phone number for your Realtor, i would love to give him a call regarding to my VA loan for housing.

Once again, thank you for the useful info... I am looking forward to meet each and everyone of you.

thanks
steve
Old 11/08/2007, 04:04 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

If you own a house in Cal you're gonna love colorado property taxes. Mine run just over 1000.00 a year for a decent 1600 SF house. I own a place in Santa Ana that isn't nearly as nice as this and without prop 13 the taxes run nearly 6 grand a year

We just moved to Aurora last summer (from Montana, not Cal). There are a ton of nice houses in the Buckley area and you are buying at a good time.

I am not neccessarily suggesting this outfit as a realtor although we used them but they have an excellent search function on their website that will show you pictures and everything.

http://gerry.milehighrealestate.com/

It has a feature where you can search by zip codes. The area around Buckly is 80017-18 as I remember. 80013 and 80015 are generally nice areas of Aurora that are close by as well. Being a little south is good

Good luck.
Old 11/08/2007, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

Thank you the grim reefer, i have never own a house before. But def not buying a house in California. I have been moving around a lot in the past 10yrs. This time i will stay permanent. Beside reefing, i am looking forward for different activity like Fishing, ice fish, hunting ect.
Old 11/08/2007, 05:26 PM
is sooing spill chekur

Quote:
Originally posted by Jar*Head
Beside reefing, i am looking forward for different activity like Fishing, ice fish, hunting ect.
You forgot the most important thing to do in Colorado, Skiing!
Old 11/08/2007, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

I know someone will correct me . But Skiing is my biggest fear hehehe. Never try before in my life but it look scary IMO... I know i am a Marine but i do have fear ya know. I would hate to see myself butt up face down in the snow. When i was 15yrs old, first time ever see the snow. I was told the sit on the plastic thing and slide down. That thing going so fast and i have no control over. I found myself hug the tree while everyone else laughing. I think that is when my fear of Skiing start .
Old 11/08/2007, 07:32 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

I had a hard enough time just walking on snow, never entered my mind to do anything to go even faster across it

I assume you are around Pendleton? I havent murdered fish in Colorado yet but I hear the fishing for toothy critter (Walleye, Tiger Musky) is good and there is trout and bass but no Catfish! Used to go to the San Diego area to slay catfish quite a bit. Miss that.
Old 11/08/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

i usually fill my time with motorcycling, snowmobiling and hockey. skied and boarded for years but just cant dodge people at the resorts anymore. nine years in a ski town will do that to you. fishing is good and i thought there were catfish at cherry creek res.
Old 11/08/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

A Big Welcome Jarhead, If you need help I am sure you will have more than a few offers, glad to have you aboard, Outlaw
Old 11/09/2007, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to meet you all one i get over there.

Bill, I spoke with Theresa yesterday. Look like i am in a good hand as far as the housing process

The grim reefer, I don't like to try something that doesn't come with 4 wheels and brakes

spstimie, I will hit you up for advice on plumbing the monster one i get there.
Old 11/09/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Good deal, Theresa will treat you right. You will love it here.
Bill
Old 11/09/2007, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

Check out www.zillow.com for ballpark house values.

Pick an area in your pricerange, then search that area code in realtor.com.

I grew up in Aurora & now live in Longmont. However I am typing this from Huntsville Alabama where I am contemplating a move. Talk about "more house for your money" syndrome.... Holy Cow!.

Stu
Old 11/09/2007, 05:55 PM
Boomer gave me this

Steve, it'll be nice to have another hard core SPS guy out here
I look forward to having you have a look at my BK to make sure it's performing properly.
I am not in Denver, but south about an hour near Colorado Springs.
If you need help with anything let me know.
Chris
Old 11/09/2007, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

Chris, i know you will post in my thread. I am looking forward to check out your mini ocean as well. I am following your foot step with large reef tank. I don't mind the distance. I will pay you a visit once im in town.

Bill, Theresa asked you to email her. She lost contact with you.
Old 11/10/2007, 01:38 AM
Registered Member

oh Steve, before you buy a house in CO, why dont you pay back all the people you owned and crewed in Socal.

Go Angels.
Old 11/10/2007, 02:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jar*Head
I know someone will correct me . But Skiing is my biggest fear hehehe. Never try before in my life but it look scary IMO... I know i am a Marine but i do have fear ya know. I would hate to see myself butt up face down in the snow. When i was 15yrs old, first time ever see the snow. I was told the sit on the plastic thing and slide down. That thing going so fast and i have no control over. I found myself hug the tree while everyone else laughing. I think that is when my fear of Skiing start .
There's plenty of people in Colorado that have either never skied or dont like skiing. I'm one of em and I've lived here my whole life! Been skiing once in my life, and if I ever go again, I'll stay in the lodge and keep the fire tended

Welcome to the neighborhood!

-Janel
Old 11/10/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

I see no sense in waxing something to go faster, but not having brakes!
Old 11/10/2007, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EmDy
oh Steve, before you buy a house in CO, why dont you pay back all the people you owned and crewed in Socal.
LMAO, you are trying very hard.... Keep up the good word.
Old 11/10/2007, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

If someone question my integrity...I would be furious but in your case, since you know exactly what I said and you know it's true, I guess that's all you can say.

Go Angels.
Old 11/11/2007, 01:44 AM
Moved On

Welcome to colorado! Btw, Gal from Reef Tank Supply is looking for you since you still owned him couple thousand bucks.

Last edited by Hallo3; 11/11/2007 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11/11/2007, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

Maybe you guys should take this to PM. It shows a total lack of class to bring personal issues up here. Show some class!