Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/02/2007, 10:36 PM
Excuse My French...

The "Hydro Planning" Project

Hello everyone,

I have just started this computer software project on the side: "Hydro Planning"

The objective is to help with tracking tasks, duties and chores associated with the maintenance of a Nano Reef Tank.

Obviously this is inspired from the NanoPlanner Mac-Widget made by Current-USA but this one will be for the PC and with a bunch of planned improvements such as: Undo, History and Task Customization.

Above is the very first screenshot where you can see the most core basic stuff in action. There will be one every week, hopefully. This will be an AD-FREE open-source project.

Please let me know if this sounds interesting... And what you would like to see in there, simple and straightforward stuff I might have forgotten.

Tech stuff:
- Please PM me for anything that is tech related (language, runtime, etc) or if you think you could contribute because I guess most people reading this thread are not interested with hard core tech cr*p...
Old 11/03/2007, 02:01 PM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
looks like a good idea to me. if you can add in spreadsheet fuctionality so you could track water parameters over time, that would be a nice addition.

didn't know there was a nanoplanner widget, i'll have to check that out.
Old 11/03/2007, 10:53 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

Where do I get it? lol!
Old 11/03/2007, 11:21 PM
Excuse My French...

phenom5: Thanks. Interesting. Not on top of my todo list for now, but interesting indeed.

Kentanner11: I started on this last Thursday: I am fast but it is not ready yet. Expect something decent around XMas.
Old 11/04/2007, 12:07 AM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

Cool!
Old 11/09/2007, 09:53 PM
Excuse My French...

I have been able to work a bit on the project this week:

We are now able to:

- Load and save the state of the tank using XML files.
- Undo actions.
- Have multiple tanks.
- Filter out actions that are days away.
- Column sorting.

Also introduced the idea of "tolerance" of an action: You can safely wait two weeks to replace lights when overdue but you cannot wait that long for a water change.

For next week, I plan to have new tank creation and setup and maybe tank history along with "blog" entries and possibly release a first executable.

PM me if you want to check out the source code and/or run the thing in its current state... (You will need .Net framework 2.0)
Old 11/20/2007, 10:54 PM
Excuse My French...

Here is an update on this project:

Ability to create new projects:

The setup screen lets you pick up the task you want to track, define period and tolerance:

The software can handle now Multiple Tanks:

What's left:

- The history and ability to filter the history to focus for example on a specific task.
- Logging custom text and links in the history (kind of blogging system)

For later:
- Logging measurements (pH, etc) in the tank history
- Graphing the above

PM me if you want to check out the source code and/or run the thing in its current state... (You will need .Net framework 2.0)
Old 11/21/2007, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

This is very neat software you are creating...I wish I had some ability to do the same. Good luck with it!
Old 11/21/2007, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Laurent,

ARE there any plans to have an alert feature? Changing colors from green to angry red/orange when a task is overdue might never be enough to make me get off the couch and clean out those prefilters, if you know what I mean. Maybe you could include an annoying pop-up feature when a task becomes due, becomes a certain length of time overdue, etc. and then keep popping up with increasing frequency until the user is nagged into submission (like when they make you update your computer or your virus defs go out of date)
Old 11/21/2007, 09:24 AM
------------

Cool ideas. Unfortunately you'll be sourcing this one on your own - my programming skills don't stray far beyond whatever they taught me in high school...

Hopefully you'll get lots of feedback once you release this to the community.

Will the user define the necessary intervals? I mean, I see there is a "recommended" column for maintenance intervals, is this user defined?
Old 11/21/2007, 11:28 AM
Excuse My French...

Rosseau: Good point. The recommended column is in the system to provide a default value for the period of the task, which user defined. Recommended should not display in the Setup screen.

thrillreefer: Alerts. Good idea. Not too hard to code. It will put this one on the TODO list. Annoying and nagging alerts... hmmm... Not sure it's a good idea.

THanks all for the feedback.
Old 11/21/2007, 06:46 PM
Excuse My French...

Implemented today some of the 'History' features:

Still to do: Sorting and filtering.
Old 11/21/2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Is there an ETA? This looks like a really good project.
Old 11/21/2007, 11:31 PM
Excuse My French...

Thanks TomZogas. There is no ETA. I work on this project on the side, when I have extra time... This week so far I have made nice progress: slow week at work because of Thanksgiving. Hopefully, there will be something decent around XMas: Stay tuned..
Old 11/27/2007, 07:49 PM
Excuse My French...

A quick update on the project:

Just added the possibility to add blog entries into the tank history:

and also finished the history view:

The history can be filtered by task name, blog entries only and recent entries only.

Next steps are to consolidate a bit this version, create an installer/desinstaller and release the tool for everyone to download. Unfortunately, my very old PC crashed last night (dead hard drive) so this might take some time to rebuild a dev system... So, again: No ETA... Sorry.

Next versions might include:
- Measures
- Dosing
- Livestock
- Budget
Old 11/27/2007, 09:34 PM
------------

Budget! Oh no! Don't do that, I'm not sure I could deal with it..... Actually, it's a good idea.
Old 11/27/2007, 11:07 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

wow this is really really cool. Could you add something about purchases, like plan to purchase or something like that. Maybe like a supplies list?
Old 11/29/2007, 01:06 AM
Excuse My French...

Good news:
- Rebuilt my PC with a new (used) drive...
- Fixed a few bugs
- Last items on the TODO list: Alerts and the unavoidable "About" dialog box.
- ETA for a first version: December 16th. ( Hopefully )

Budget:
- First off: This little thing is not going to be a full-blown accounting software.
- I only plan to introduce spending tasks (Buy salt mix, buy PhosBan, buy ChemiPure, etc...) conceptually similar to the actions listed in the main view so that budget and purchases can be planned a bit in advance.
- I believe that should be helpful: please comment on this.
- But that's for later. (after Dec 16)
Old 11/29/2007, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Good stuff, will you make this available to all?
Will it be OSS?

It's a great idea, even better if it could be hosted on t'internet.

Regards
Conor.
Old 11/29/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

would you be willing to make it opensource?
Old 11/29/2007, 08:18 PM
Excuse My French...

noobwithatank, conorwynne: As mentionned in the opening message on this thread, YES, this will be open source software.

conorwynne: Should be available Dec 16. Having this hosted on the Internet implies that someone has to pay for data storage and bandwidth. That's not a trivial issue... Therefore, for now, it is a desktop app.

Last edited by LaurentSeattle; 11/29/2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11/29/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Great idea!! I love it!!
Old 11/30/2007, 05:38 PM
Excuse My French...

Great News:

The first beta release is available here for everyone to download:

http://www.codeplex.com/HydroPlannin...ReleaseId=8748

Please give it a try. (Includes installer/desinstaller.) You will need the .Net framework 2.0 to run it. Get it from Microsoft, here, before running HydroPlanning: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

You will need to register to Codeplex to file bugs, open discussions, etc. If you do not want to do so to report issues, remarks, comments, please PM me or post here.

Happy Testing!
Old 12/19/2007, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

Just dl'd it. Gonna give it a whirl, im horrible about certain tasks like cleaning pumps. I would also like to track when i put in new bulbs, media, you name it.
Old 12/19/2007, 02:17 AM
Registered Member

Cant get it to work... I have the framework 2.0 and the program starts but when i try to start a project it gives me unhandled exceptions?
I tried to enable the jit but im pretty clueless when it gets too techy.
Running xp pro