Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/25/2007, 09:26 PM
Brighter the better

slow mixing kulk reactor(pics and vid)

well i had some stuff laying around and had to get a jug to make this work. the jug had to have a smooth bottom inside to make this work. here we go.

first part is a 1" slip pvc

second is a non floating mag cleaner from wal mart

cut the pvc so the magnet fits tightly in the middle

well the motor for this thing is a disco ball motor that spins at 1 rpm. you can get them for cheap on ebay. they make 3 rpm ones too. i do beleave this one is for 8" disco balls.

drill some holes in the pvc to fit over the shaft of the motor and one sideways for a pin to go though the shaft. the shaft has a hole in it already so that saves time.

put it on ans slide a pin in to lock it into place

some plex and a simple frame. make shure that the magnet sits flat agenst the bottom of the plex.

put the jug on top the plex and put the other half of the cleaner mag on the bottom and your done with the mixer! the jug will stay well, unless you got a realy strong mag setup.

Old 10/25/2007, 09:27 PM
Brighter the better

do your norm for the top

here it is dry and together

now this works great if you push in the water clean and let the preshure do the rest. i am using a med doser to run the ro water into the reactor. reason i push in water is so i can save the blader inside of the doser from the kulk. im using this doser

now is it is running(yes its stirring as you are reading this and thats how it will always look after it settles from adding your kulk). not a cloud in the water and yes this mixes 24 hours aday

here is the proof of it mixxing, the 30 sec vid with no cloud!

Old 10/25/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

I'd watchout, I had one of those walmart magnets start to rust where the felt goes to plastic at the edge. it was in a freshwater tank as well. So i'd look into replacing it.
Old 10/25/2007, 10:15 PM
Brighter the better

ill watch for that! thanks!
Old 10/25/2007, 11:03 PM
I like the way you talk.

Great! How's it do at keeping your kalkwasser saturated? What I mean is, is that adequate stirring action? If it is, that's fantastic!
Old 10/26/2007, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Awesome!

I wondered if that old disco ball had a use besides turning on the ladies.

BTW, love the avatar!

dantimdad
Old 10/26/2007, 12:55 PM
Brighter the better

after a 24 hour period of running the ph of the water comming out of it was at 11.1 with my ph meter. i was running 100 ml per hour through the reactor.
Old 10/27/2007, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

I am looking for a simple kalk reactor DIY costomcolors seem to be the easiest. but my question is this where did or do you get the dosser from?
Old 10/27/2007, 08:27 PM
Brighter the better

Quote:
Originally posted by friendorfoe
I am looking for a simple kalk reactor DIY costomcolors seem to be the easiest. but my question is this where did or do you get the dosser from?
i got the doser from ebay for like $35-$50. i used that cuz i had it around from my 55 that i put into my 125.

update: ph of the water comming out is still at the 11.1 area, so with that said it works like a charm!
i will upgrade the container to a glass container when i can find one like a sun made ice tea container. glass would be best cuz it will not wear nor flex when the pump pushs water into it or when you pick it up.
Old 10/27/2007, 08:29 PM
Brighter the better

Quote:
Originally posted by customcolor
i got the doser from ebay for like $35-$50. i used that cuz i had it around from my 55 that i put into my 125.

update: ph of the water comming out is still at the 11.1 area and i bumped up the flow to 250ml an hour, so with that said it works like a charm!
i will upgrade the container to a glass container when i can find one like a sun made ice tea container. glass would be best cuz it will not wear nor flex when the pump pushs water into it or when you pick it up.
Old 10/27/2007, 08:30 PM
Brighter the better

opps that was to be an edit i added the flow that i bumped it to
Old 11/02/2007, 08:24 PM
Brighter the better

well after 1 week with 4 heaping table spoons of mrs wags the reactor is still putting out 11 for a ph. doing a great job with no fear of solids going into my tank.