Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/03/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Question What should I do?

I bought a used Sedra 9000 from oohmiller in the selling thread here on RC. Link I received fast responses by pm until I sent my paypal payment. After that I cant get a response back via pm or on the thread. Seems others are having the same problems. All items where said to be shipped out on tues 7/30 its now 8/3 and no word or shipment yet.

Should I keep pestering them via pm and replys to post or start checking with paypal to reverse the payment? I dont wanna go overboard but I also dont wanna sit around wondering whats up.
6 Line Wrasse
180 Gal Reef Ready in Const.
Old 08/03/2007, 03:19 PM
A.K.A. colinadam

Is he reading your PM's? You know how to track that right?

If he is reading them and not replying I would start the claim today. Odds of getting your money back without him providing a tracking number are good and they may freeze his account so he doesn't do this to others.
Old 08/03/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

I would keep pestering them! I don't know much about Pay pals and what not but this could be some type of scam! I am a fraud investigator and know about scams like this! if the problem continues I would reverse the payment ASAP
Old 08/03/2007, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Yeah he read um all same day I sent and has been posting on other threads without a reply to me. Should I give him a warning that without an update on tracking/shipping info im going to talk to paypal or just start it?
6 Line Wrasse
Old 08/03/2007, 03:38 PM
Discontented Reefer

Don't get you hopes up about Paypal doing anything for you. I had a problem with someone shipping me a broken Tek light and they told me tough luck. If you reverse the charges using your credit card or checking account, I've been told Paypal will cancel your account.
Old 08/03/2007, 03:49 PM
CERTIFIED REEF BUM

Quote:
Originally posted by colinadam
Is he reading your PM's? You know how to track that right?

If he is reading them and not replying I would start the claim today. Odds of getting your money back without him providing a tracking number are good and they may freeze his account so he doesn't do this to others.
how do you track if your pm are read or not?
Old 08/03/2007, 03:56 PM
Discontented Reefer

I think when you are a paying RC member you get a third folder called "Message Tracking" in addition to your "Inbox" & "Sent Messages" folders.
Old 08/03/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Initiate a formal dispute on the paypal website. It simply initiates a formal and documented dialogue between you and the seller. The seller must respond or paypal will eventually side with you. If he does respond and you both can't reach an agreement, paypal will review the emails and come to a conclusion. If you’re dissatisfied with the outcome, you can still cancel it on your credit card. Paypal may cancel your account but its better than being out the $$$$. I've had to do this three times now
Old 08/03/2007, 04:05 PM
RC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by ppurcell
I think when you are a paying RC member you get a third folder called "Message Tracking" in addition to your "Inbox" & "Sent Messages" folders.
Has nothing to do with paying...every member has a Message Tracking folder for all PM's.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 08/03/2007, 04:13 PM
Discontented Reefer

Oh, I guess I just never noticed the feature there before my status changed and then assumed it was a feature that got enabled at that time. My mistake...
Old 08/13/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Well I receive the item and it was a POS even though he said it was running and guaranteed me or 100% money back hes trying to renig and only give partial money back. I filed a dispute with Paypal and they said since it wasn't bought through ebay to **** off and closed the dispute. So now who should I contact to get my money back from this lieing sack of **** that wont even respond to pm's. I am totally ****ed of at the lack of support from paypal and will never use there ****tly little service again.
6 Line Wrasse
Old 08/13/2007, 10:37 AM
RC Admin

Did you pay with a credit card on PayPal?

Old 08/13/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Unfortunately no it defaulted to direct from my bank account and I didn't catch it before I submitted this time.
6 Line Wrasse
Old 08/13/2007, 10:44 AM
A.K.A. colinadam

If it makes you feel better your not alone, a few others are having problems with the same guy, threads in the buyer/trader feedback forum.

I am with Mike, contact your Credit Card company if you used one.
Old 08/13/2007, 10:49 AM
Garbologist

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ostid=10542430

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 08/13/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Just start a claim with paypal
He MUST provide a tracking number or you get an auto refund.

If he provides a tracking number, and you get an empty box, then you can do a credit card charge back.

Credit Card companies HATE paypal....
Old 08/13/2007, 12:51 PM
OT HINEY SNIFFER

Why was this guy even allowed to post items for sale? He didn't have the required 50 posts.
Old 08/13/2007, 12:56 PM
RC Admin

He didn't use a credit card, it was bank funds, so he's at PayPals mercy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dberg79
Unfortunately no it defaulted to direct from my bank account and I didn't catch it before I submitted this time.
Next step in my mind is filing a complaint with local police and www.ic3.gov.

Old 08/13/2007, 12:57 PM
RC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by BenjieC
Why was this guy even allowed to post items for sale? He didn't have the required 50 posts.
He did at the time. It's been adjusted to not allow him to continue to sell, but still allow people to communicate with him via PM.

Old 08/13/2007, 01:14 PM
Discontented Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by mhurley
He didn't use a credit card, it was bank funds, so he's at PayPals mercy.

Next step in my mind is filing a complaint with local police and www.ic3.gov.
I've been down this route. It leads to nowhere...

I had a deal go bad, just like this where the guy sent me something broken which I paid for with a bank transfer through PayPal.

I filed with Paypal, they told me that if it wasn't purchased through eBay they won't do anything. I escalated and got the same result.

I filed with IC3.gov, result: nothing
I filed with the US Postal Inspector, result: nothing
I filed with the Florida Attorney General, result: nothing
I filed with the Florida Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services, result: nothing

I think the only way you have any chance of solving the problem is small claims court and then it will cost you more than it is worth in time off and expenses.

I wish you luck, but I think you are SOL.
Old 08/13/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

I agree.
Always use a credit card through paypal..
Old 08/13/2007, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

Here's a heads up...make the seller send you a request for funds via Paypal..listing what the item is and it's condition .then you have a recourse...at least that's how it used to be...
Old 08/13/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

yeah used to be but ebay bought paypal and its not the way anymore. The only way paypal will protect you is if you buy from there parent company ebay. That way there dipping into the seller twice for money listing and paypal fees. If you dont buy it from ebay they say theres no way they can prove the condition of the item before its shipped just a bs excuse to push you off.
/sarcasm on "Why yes Paypal I did intend on buying a pump thats only use is a door stop or paperweight. The 100% guarantee of a working piece of equipment really meant nothing to me."

The guy I talked to while at work today made it feel like he could have sent me a pile of dog crap and it would be fine cause he sent it with tracking. Ill give paypal a call back when im at home and can talk more freely and get a higher up. Neither party has heard the last from me.
6 Line Wrasse
Old 08/13/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

What I don't understand about this guy is how he sold so much stuff. It seemed clear to me in his post that more then one person was having issues with him, yet people were still posting things like "I want that. I'll send PayPal today," well after others were posting their issues.

Deberg I don't put you on this list because I understand that you bought your item real early in the process, but how the heck did this guy keep people interested in his items? Some people just aren't that smart.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I hope SOMEDAY you'll be able to get a refund.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp
Old 08/13/2007, 02:07 PM
RC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Dberg79
The guy I talked to while at work today made it feel like he could have sent me a pile of dog crap and it would be fine cause he sent it with tracking.
Sadly, I've heard exactly these types of stories before. Sending an empty box or some junk...I think it's legit.