Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/28/2007, 12:41 AM
Fantasy Coral

Frag Tank V 2.0

Well after last weeks fiasco, I've gotten myself a new frag tank & want to keep a thread of the new build & such............

Many thanks to Eric (ejocam) for the tank & ideas on how the stand should be built. My hope is to one day have a garage that resembles his..........

New tank is 4' x 2' x 12". It came undrilled however I ended that very quickly. I drilled the tank for a 1.5" drain & (2) 3/4" returns. Drain will be a standpipe in a corner which also allows me to add an overflow box later if I desire.

Stand was built using 2" x 4"'s & a 3/4" sheet of OSB. A 1/2" sheet of foam insulation was put between the OSB & the acrylic tank.

Last frag tank had electronics & cords running all over the place. I decided that I wanted no plugs below the water line just for safety reasons. Here is the "distribution center" that I installed on the stand above the tank.

Tank was set in place & a good majority of the plumbing was installed & glued into place.

60 lbs. of rinsed crushed coral & 10 lbs of established sand were put into the tank & 30 gallons of NSW was poured in.

Another pic of the "control center" w/ AC Jr, DC-8, & control panel installed.
Old 05/28/2007, 12:42 AM
Fantasy Coral

Picked up a Koralia 4 from OC Aquatics & now waiting for the coral & sand to settle.

Quick shot of the return plumbing (still hasn't been tied into the sump yet)

Sump, which as of right now, is home to some of my corals waiting to be introduced to thier new home.

Until tomorrow.....................same bat time, same bat channel......

Steve
Old 05/28/2007, 12:53 AM
Premium Member

Awesome! Looking forward to following along. Soon as I break my hex down and part it out, I'll be doing the same thing in my garage.

What type of media are you running in that reactor hanging off your sump?
Old 05/28/2007, 01:03 AM
Fantasy Coral

Phos-X......................it's been working for me for a few years now..................& at $5.00 for 3 bags, it's about the cheapest stuff around.

Steve
Old 05/28/2007, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

Very cool, Baked. Im comin by soon to check it out.

-Mike
Old 05/28/2007, 01:10 AM
Fantasy Coral

Quote:
Originally posted by mikedege
Very cool, Baked. Im comin by soon to check it out.

-Mike
LOL.....................As I was going thru stuff in the garage today, I found that name tag ...............

To those who don't get it..................At gho's frag swap, everyone was running around w/ name tags saying "Hello, I'm............". I just wrote in "Baked" on mine........
Old 05/28/2007, 01:43 AM
TRC Leader

Steve, if you really want your corals to grow, you'll get rid if that Hendrick's wall paper!

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 05/28/2007, 02:34 AM
Reef Awe gazer

Quote:
Originally posted by Konadog
Steve, if you really want your corals to grow, you'll get rid if that Hendrick's wall paper!
AMEN Brother

Daniel
Old 05/28/2007, 05:56 AM
Fantasy Coral

Let me see.....................(1) 4 Time champ............Defending champ.............. first time winner tonite.................9 wins in 13 races this year

If I could only grow corals the way that Hendrick wins races & championships!!!
Old 05/28/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

lol...
Old 05/28/2007, 01:20 PM
TRC Leader

All I can say is BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Steve, did everything make it from your transfers?

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 05/28/2007, 01:26 PM
Fantasy Coral

I lost a few pieces so far (I'm not putting anything in the new tank for a few days.............let the numbers stabilize & such), but nothing rare or really valuable.

So did you throw beer cans at your tv about 8 PM last night???
Old 05/28/2007, 02:10 PM
TRC Leader

Naw, It was good to see Mears win! And even better to see Jeff wreck

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 05/28/2007, 02:17 PM
Fantasy Coral

Wifey is a Casey Mears fan, so she was stoked....................Not unusual to see a Mears win on Memorial Weekend, however it was usually Rick @ Indy, not Casey @ Charlotte.

It seemed like Jeff hit the wall HARD, but he said it wasn't as hard as it looked. You know you're kickin *** when you can finish 41st & still have a 132 point lead!!!!! Next is Dover, home of Dupont..

Steve
Old 05/28/2007, 02:31 PM
Moved On

Looks good baked......Let me know if you need anything or any help
Old 05/29/2007, 09:18 PM
Fantasy Coral

Update...................finished all the plumbing today & everything runs fine w/ no drips or errors.....

Tested the numbers & ammonia came in at .25. NO4 was at 0. I figure I'll get a mini cycle, but I plan on doing 10 gallon water changes every other day for about a week. With 80 lbs of established live rock & 10 lbs of LS, I don't think it'll get too bad.

Last edited by SteveOhh; 05/29/2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05/29/2007, 09:22 PM
Fantasy Coral

Couple of my acans are showing a little tissue loss, but that's to be expected considering they went from being under a 400 hqi to a 80 watt PC.............................When I moved them back under the 400, they immediately showed PE, so I'm sure everything will turn out ok (it's the optimist in me )

Old 05/29/2007, 09:24 PM
Fantasy Coral

Most of the zoas I put back opened right up.................

LPS are looking ok too.........

Gonna wait a few days before putting any of my SPS back though........................Just to make sure all is ok!!!!

Thanks to all who offered help or support thru this troubling & terrifying ordeal....................I owe you guys one!!! It's great to know that in bad times, you can count on good people.

I'd also like to give a shout out to my wife, who was nothing but supportive & giving thru this. Never had a bad word to say, even though I'm sure I was an a-hole at times..................Love ya honey !!!!!

Thanks for lookin'!!!!

Steve
Old 05/30/2007, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

What up Steve need to check out your system since you are 3-4 miles max from my house Lookin good.
Old 05/30/2007, 01:18 AM
Fantasy Coral

Quote:
Originally posted by JOSE CASAS
What up Steve need to check out your system since you are 3-4 miles max from my house Lookin good.
Sure come by anytime.......................PM me for my address & phone number....
Old 05/30/2007, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

VERY NICE, the zoas are beautiful....I can't get mine to open and most of them fall off the rock within 2 weeks.

Last edited by chaffey; 05/30/2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06/02/2007, 01:26 AM
Premium Member

nice frag setup , your setup is almost like mine...

except im still plumming mine....

and as we speak, is filling with water from my 80GPD RO, then i will use the pumps to mix the salt, I want to see how fast the mix it, I fugure 60G frag tank (4x2x1) and 50G sump, MAG 12, and EuroReef R6, will do the job
Old 06/02/2007, 02:36 AM
Registered Member

AMAZING!
Old 06/24/2007, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveOhh
Phos-X......................it's been working for me for a few years now..................& at $5.00 for 3 bags, it's about the cheapest stuff around.

Steve

hey, how well does that Phos-X works for you? does it tint the water, or need to be rinsed like the phosban?

this is the one you buy right? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4171&subref=AA

how about more pictures of you tank....
Old 06/25/2007, 04:42 PM
Fantasy Coral

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...roduct=HG11348

Not sure if it's the same thing, but this is what I run.....................I put it in the reactor & then run about 3 gallons of RO/DI thru it to rinse it..........................

It's worked well for me & it's really cheap when compared to Rowa or the other phosphate removers.....

No new pics of the tank......................Going thru the "new tank algae bloom" as we speak.....

Steve