Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/18/2007, 08:03 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Return to the Large Tank forum with a 210G Elos

I missed this forum so much, I had to make sure my new tank would qualify - so I'm just sneaking in with a 180G Display - Sump TBD. A few years ago I had an Envision 340G and it was awesome. However I soon learned that even with a blank check for equipment - it was too time consuming. My friend lhoo has turned it into my dream, however it resides in his house!

Here was opening day ...

I decided to go way down in size and got an Elos 132G. I absolutely loved the quality and the ridiculous little cool things that you never will understand until its in your home. Talk about a carefully planned aquarium system that spares no expense in quality.

It took an afternoon to get from my doorstep to filled with all my wet friends. And no trips to HD!

It wasn't long until I wanted a larger tank for the space. So I decided to put the two together and just get an Elos 160XL. Its basically the exact same tank only about a foot and a half longer and I had the stand custom built a little taller. My wife was extremely happy when I told her it was another Elos because it has cut down my tank time tremendously. Her furniture is all very modern so this fits right in.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.

Last edited by Mark; 04/19/2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04/18/2007, 08:06 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

And here we are today, a new present on my doorstep!

I have a lot of work to do now but will try to update photos as I go. I'm going overseas in a week and a half so I hope to have it up & running tomorrow and get to know & comfortable with it over the next week!

Old 04/18/2007, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

Yeah!!! Awesome!!!
Old 04/18/2007, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

Wow! I can't wait to see your new system up and running David! All your setups in the past has been impressive regardless of size.
Old 04/18/2007, 09:13 PM

Very nice David! I cant wait until you set this up. I know you have a ton of goodies you have been purchasing lately that some of us havent seen in production. Even the 160xl is also something some of us havent seen. Post as many pics as you can. I'll be watching!
Old 04/18/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Awesome tank! I like the rimless effect. I've seen naka's tank and it looks really nice, as well as invincibles. I can't wait to see this one set up and ready to go. Where do you guys customize such nice rimless tank?
Old 04/18/2007, 11:46 PM
Mortar Target

I think I'm going to cry!! I know I will once I see the pics with the shipping stuff removed.
Old 04/19/2007, 02:01 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Thanks everyone! I will get to PM's tomorrow. It hurts to type as I smashed three fingers . Its always nerve racking carrying glass tanks but try a tank this big. Thank god I have an extra wide door.

Oh and I was wrong its not 180, its closer to 215. I didn't realize it was 24" tall, I was thinking it was 20" tall like the 120XL. So stoked!

I gotta get to bed and dream about aquascaping. So stoked about the height!

Old 04/19/2007, 02:47 AM
reef obsessed

This one's going to be good.
Old 04/19/2007, 08:42 AM
zoa ninja

tagging along tagging along =] i love elos systems. good luck with the new setup Fliger
Old 04/19/2007, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

woohoooo!!!
glad to see an Elos tank in the ''large tank'' forum !!
can't wait for the build to start.... good luck !

I will be on this forum also when mine comes in sometime during the summer
Old 04/19/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

Wow David! I cant wait to see it up and running! One thing for sure, i know this tank will be a bad *** system, just like all your previous one! How tall did you customize your stand? I am loving rimless tank now, never really though about it until i saw Naka, Edward and yours! I should have wait and go with a rimless also
Old 04/19/2007, 03:52 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Well my fingers STILL hurt. The tank is stunning, the extra 4" in height and the extra 16" in length make a huge difference. My favorite part is the small overflow. Its the smallest overflow with the largest tank I've ever seen. I'm not a big believer in running massive flow to the sump so it works perfectly. I'm not sure if I'll keep the Eheim 1260 - if the overflow can handle more I might go for something a little more powerful.

I'm having a sump built but it might be awhile til its done, so it will look a little ghetto under the hood. I'm also going to build an acrylic insert under the stand to hold everything. The stand is divided into a wet section & dry section so I need to figure out how everything will be situated.

I have had great results from the 2x150W (IC e-ballasts) + 4x39W pendant with the 120XL but it was only 20". I'm going to need to replace the lighting with 250W + T5. Fixture TBD. In the running are -

Elos
Giesemann
Sfiligoi
Grotech Photon

I would consider the Maristar II but its taken them FOREVER so I'm giving up on that. I like the idea of having US electrical components and no transformers. I would also consider the Aquaconnekt like G.Alexander but I'm unable to attain one.

Gotta go pay the bills now - I'll try to get some photos tonight. The stand is SOLID. Really nice big brown (wenge) doors.

Oh and THANK YOU to the Mods for switching the title from 180 to 210! What a great, thankless job you do! I know what that is like.

Old 04/19/2007, 05:01 PM

You should keep it consistent with the Elos brand. I like the new ones they have been coming out with. They have put a lot of thought into them. It's definitely not just your average light fixture. Which model Aquaconnect fixture does Alexander have?
Old 04/19/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

David,
Congrat. on your new "toy".This tank is awsome,i saw pics of 160xl,amazing quality...What are yuo going to do with water movement in the tank?

Ed,
I belive Alexander have Riga light fixiture by AC. I use 250w bulbs )

mike
Old 04/20/2007, 07:02 AM
Registered Member

Hi David,
Nice to see ya back, good luck with the new build

James
Old 04/20/2007, 09:10 AM
Brace yourself!

Awesome! I knew you were going with one of these, I must have missed the thread on the 120. Can't wait to see things unfold!
Old 04/20/2007, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

So whats the overall dimension's?

Cant wait to see this one.

Fliger, what are you doing for a skimmer this time? Anything new and exciting??
Old 04/20/2007, 04:27 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

So I got sidetracked by life! I decided to cancel a weekend trip so that I can finish this project this weekend. I'm picking up a Rubbermaid bin tonight so that I can transfer everything out, take down the 120XL and clean it, get the 160XL up & fill it. I'm building some sort of acrylic or PVC basin for the wet compartment of the stand - I like PVC since that's what Edward's & Naka's bottoms are made of. Jesse at Elos told me it won't warp - so I'll try that ... just gotta find it now.

For skimmers - I still have my custom H&S which should handle it. It also comes with a NS4000 which looks like a beast. I won't have the NS4000 for a while so I'll run the H&S. I have had such great results with H&S and Elos stuff - the only other brand I'd probably consider would be a BK but their prices have really jumped from when I had the BK300 Ext.

I think the dimensions are 64x32x24 - so approx 210-215G? Obviously the true number is WAAAAY less but since thats what RC members and tank manufacturers use ... (not taking inner dims, displacement and the top dry portion of the tank into account).

The tank is really stunning, I'll get pix up before I leave. I know there are some great tank makers out there, like the one Edward/James used - but man I've had some bad ones, now that I've had Envision & Elos its hard to think of every going down a step.

I do love that Riga by Aquaconnect. I wish someone would import it. His is a 2x250W MOGUL + the T5's. Only other maker I can find that does that is Grotech Photon (with external ballasts - which I decided I really need) but I've heard their mogul socket ballasts are too small. Decisions!!!

My fingers still hurt.

Old 04/20/2007, 04:49 PM
| ~ |

Hey Fliger!

What are you plans for the old 120xl? Good luck with the build =)
Old 04/20/2007, 04:55 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Hey man, if I had a dime for every PM I've received wanting the 120XL. It went VERY fast to a fellow reefer who I know will make a lovely home for it.

Old 04/20/2007, 05:08 PM
High Plains Drifter

Very nice David.

I'm sure this will be a great thread.

Elos systems are killer. Maybe one day I'll sack up and drop the coin
Old 04/20/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

why not go with the Elos lighting ?
Old 04/21/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Did you see the Giesemann Spectra pendants? They're similar to the Sfiligoi Infinity, and use the Gisemann system 400 reflectors plus T5 tubes.
I don't know if they are available in the USA at this time...

Bye!
Stefano.
Old 04/21/2007, 01:47 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Flinger, I feel you on the Aquaconnects... Ive been noping for an importer of Aquaconnect for a long time, even mentioned it to a few storefronts I know of... they would make a killing alone on the aquaconnect 14,000K bulbs.

Perhaps a 'next best' would be the Grotech fixtures...
http://www.captiveoceans.com/Photon.htm