Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/12/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

My 75 gallon Project

Well, I have a 30gal and since it had a slow pressure leak, I decided to purchase a tank through Aquariums specials last month. I went with a 75gallon tank and stand. I did not go reef ready because all the equipment I have is hang on.

one more

Next i used about 60lbs of the Pavestone, and washed it as thoroughly as I could, a good two hours of running water and constantly stiring it up.

As you can see even after that it was cloudy and left a fine silt on the bottom.

Then it was sit back and wait for it to settle down after adding the water.

to be continued
Old 04/12/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

I had a old fluval hanging around and decided to put that on there to get rid of some of the fine stuff, it doesnt do a bad job.
and started running my old CPR backpak also. At this point I determined I needed more skimming power, even though I have two Bak Paks, I honestly just couldnt take the noise anymore. They are loud and annoying. So I managed to procure a gently used Turboflotor 1000. Man what a nice skimmer, whisper quiet and none of the little bubbles the Bakpak was constantly dumping into the tank.
Old 04/12/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Oops almost forgot, I had purchased about 50lbs of live rock from a fellow Reef Central member and added that to the tank to start with.
Old 04/12/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

Wow your new tank is looking just like mine new tank ha-ha. I have the turboflotor as well and really like how quiet it is. It took some time to break in but once that happened it has been great. I am also running a canister filter because I think by not having a sump the extra filtration is important. Can't wait to see your tank progress
Old 04/12/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Jeepers, thats why I got one , because you said you liked yours, tee hee hee. I love it, it is whisper quiet and works great.
Old 04/12/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Now I feel special, like someone actually listened to what I have said lol. Since yours is gently used you shouldn't need to break it in. If for some reason yours goes through a break in period give me a holler because I can tell you what I did to help mine break in easier.
Old 04/12/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Ok, here is a pic with the turbo going and my two 2x96w CF from my 30 gal tank.

IMG]http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/richieb_2007/P1010162.jpg[/IMG]

This was right before the landlord decided the whole house had to be rewired, yikes. But it only took them two and half days, not bad. good for me also.
Ok time to start on the hood, hmmm trying to remember back about 7 years when I built my first one.

framing

then with the two 175W 10k running, wow what a difference they make over compact flourescents, I still have to find room to mount my two CF for actinic lighting.

Old 04/12/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Is there a general rule as far as how low to mouth MH away from the surface, mine are about a foot and I think they can go lower, lighting to much of the floor lol.
Old 04/14/2007, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Did some arrangement of the rock and thought I would take a few more pics. Just waiting about 50lbs more of live rock and then let things settle in some more.

Old 04/23/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Ok, picked up about 45lbs of beautiful rock this weekend (thanks John) and got his beautiful Tang current and have added them to my tank. Moved my MH's up about 3" and I like the look a little better. now just going to monitor everything and order some MJ mods to increase the flow in the tank.
brain coral is getting big
IMG]http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/richieb_2007/P1010311.jpg[/IMG]
Woods

Old 04/23/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

here is the brain,
Old 04/23/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

I do like that brain! I don't know anything about them but I think those are cool looking.
Old 11/14/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Well time to update my tank write-up. After running a while with my equipment I decided I needed more filtration etc. So i i setup my old 29 as a sump, purchased a Octopus NW200, mag 9.5 return pump, and overflow box, and set out to setup my first sump. I must admit this made me a bit nervous, but thanks to encouragement from Travis and advice here is what I have so far.

Old 11/14/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

things are tight under there, with just enough room to removed the cup. Wow next to my old turboflotor this thing looks like a monster. Matched my return to the over flow and besides the gurgling noise, everything has been fine so far. Now just waiting for the skimmer to clean my water. I have been going through a cyno outbreak and have been doing water changes etc. and it is still continuing.
Old 11/15/2007, 09:09 AM
King of the Echo People!

I noticed that your ballasts are right next to your sump.

I might think about either moving them a bit away, or getting a covering for them to protect them from splash and salt creep.

Just a thought, I am a safety nut when it comes to stuff like that. Probably a bit of over safety person, but what can you do.

lol

Otherwise, looking good for you!
Old 11/15/2007, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

Nice skimmer

Google it - Search for: craseokc