Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/16/2007, 01:33 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

WOOT lol Odyssea NEEDLE WHEEL skimmer!

LOLOL well guess what I just bought for the hell of it? http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=245

$30! for a freaking NW skimmer?? I'd be stupid NOT to do it! Yes I have a ER skimmer at the moment but hey what the heck!

THIRTY BUCKS! Buy it and toss the skimmer use the pump! OR convert it to a recirculating, just for kicks! it's $30! I'll post it when it comes in. Always handy to have another skimmer around the house.

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

It's not a bike if it's not over a liter
Old 02/16/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Where does it say that it has a needlewheel pump?
Old 02/16/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

You'll soon find out that the skimmer you are tossing is worth more than the pump you are saving.

Most people that have attempted to use this or an older larger version have kept the skimmer body and used a traditional needle wheel pump.

Last edited by Bathypelagic; 02/16/2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02/16/2007, 02:37 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

Quote:
Originally posted by beatle
Where does it say that it has a needlewheel pump?
It's in one of their pics.

Quote:
You'll soon find out that the skimmer you are tossing is worth more than the pump you are saving.
Once again this IS a needle wheel pump. And THAT is why I bought it
Notice the needle wheel logo on box. And in case you can't see it the air line is not going in front of the output of pump (making it a venturi) it is entering the input.

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

Old 02/16/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

I have the ps75 in my 30g reef and is great!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02/16/2007, 02:58 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

woot you just got me really excited! Lets start a club! (Yes i'm also a part of the Euro Reefers but hey) I'll go cheap over pricey any day of the week! The greatest thing about being disabled is having an excuse for your cheap actions.

Old 02/16/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

haha, the "needle" part of that needle-wheel pump is a joke... the impeller looks pretty much just like a regular Maxi Jet impeller with little bumps on them for the "needle" part...
Old 02/16/2007, 03:01 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

Quote:
Originally posted by flipteg
haha, the "needle" part of that needle-wheel pump is a joke... the impeller looks pretty much just like a regular Maxi Jet impeller with little bumps on them for the "needle" part...
HEY No talking trash until you see the pics! I'll post all the parts here on this thread when they arrive!

Old 02/16/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

flipteg-well I heve not seen any needle wheel only the odyssea one and if you see the pics in my opinion works very well.

chevegan- that butterfly in your avatar is yours Im interested in getting one again.
Old 02/16/2007, 03:16 PM
Team RC Member

All I have to say... You get what you pay for.
Old 02/16/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

junk
Old 02/16/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chevegan
HEY No talking trash until you see the pics! I'll post all the parts here on this thread when they arrive!
i'm not trying to say anything bad about it... it's just that i find it humorous that the company puts little bumps on what almost looks like a regular Maxi Jet impeller, advertise needle-wheel and calls it a day...

Quote:
Originally posted by 20reefer
flipteg-well I heve not seen any needle wheel only the odyssea one and if you see the pics in my opinion works very well.

chevegan- that butterfly in your avatar is yours Im interested in getting one again.
i'm not saying that the skimmer does not perform well... my father has a hang on the back skimmer that he got on e-Bay for less $50... it uses the same pump... for $50 including shipping, it is very comparable to the BakPak which sells for $200 locally... but as for the pump, i just keep telling him to go ahead and replace it with a Maxi Jet pump...
Old 02/16/2007, 03:42 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

WOa WOa Woa, how on earth do you say that this one is junk.It literally came out this year. It's their first shot at needle wheels. Unlike most of you I try then criticize. I tested the plain venturi one against a remora Pro and it wooped the renowned remora ALLLL over the place. I don't agree with you that you get what you pay for all the time. i can make you the EXACT same ring that you would buy at tiffany's for 1/4! the price using the same if not better diamonds! When are all of you going to stop this flaming on things that are less expensive? Chinese kids who make these things are getting payed pennies to the dollar so overhead is WAY less. Plus I will tell you from personal experience that people for SOME reason like to get ripped off.

case in point........I have titanium bands in my showcase. Someone came in and said "OOO sir may I ask how much that is?" I said sure it's 50 dollars. He literally made a smug "eww" face and left. Next customer that asked about the titanium ring I now quoted $100 to...guess what HE BOUGHT IT.

Perceived value is much different than actual value. Cost on a titanium band is between $10-25 on the jewelry store. But simply because I raised the price it was worth more in someones eyes. The ring was the same.

In like manner. Lets say that the company that manufactures the OR pumps decides to provide the same pump in a different color without the OR logos to a company who is producing the EXACT same acrylic tubing and piping etc to make a skimmer now YOU TELL ME! Cost on acrylic tubing is mere CENTS!!!!!!!! when purchased in bulk. Please, I've been raised in the wholesale manufacturing industry and have done retail most of my life as well. If you EVER want to criticize ANYTHING you must test it first. I mean do you HONESTLY think that SAFEWAY brand Vinegar is ANY different than a brand name???? They are in fact bottled at the same facility. As long as the average population has this thinking that expensive skimmers are the BEST the manufacturers will continue selling them at the outrages prices they are. The effort and machinery used to make 1 light bulb is greater than that of any skimmer on the market. If you don't believe me take a tour of a plant and see. Till then don't talk till you actually test the item or have had personal experience.

Old 02/16/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Flipteg- sorry my english is not very good and I misunderstand you.
Old 02/16/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chevegan
WOa WOa Woa, how on earth do you say that this one is junk.It literally came out this year. It's their first shot at needle wheels. Unlike most of you I try then criticize. I tested the plain venturi one against a remora Pro and it wooped the renowned remora ALLLL over the place. I don't agree with you that you get what you pay for all the time. i can make you the EXACT same ring that you would buy at tiffany's for 1/4! the price using the same if not better diamonds! When are all of you going to stop this flaming on things that are less expensive? Chinese kids who make these things are getting payed pennies to the dollar so overhead is WAY less. Plus I will tell you from personal experience that people for SOME reason like to get ripped off.

case in point........I have titanium bands in my showcase. Someone came in and said "OOO sir may I ask how much that is?" I said sure it's 50 dollars. He literally made a smug "eww" face and left. Next customer that asked about the titanium ring I now quoted $100 to...guess what HE BOUGHT IT.

Perceived value is much different than actual value. Cost on a titanium band is between $10-25 on the jewelry store. But simply because I raised the price it was worth more in someones eyes. The ring was the same.

In like manner. Lets say that the company that manufactures the OR pumps decides to provide the same pump in a different color without the OR logos to a company who is producing the EXACT same acrylic tubing and piping etc to make a skimmer now YOU TELL ME! Cost on acrylic tubing is mere CENTS!!!!!!!! when purchased in bulk. Please, I've been raised in the wholesale manufacturing industry and have done retail most of my life as well. If you EVER want to criticize ANYTHING you must test it first. I mean do you HONESTLY think that SAFEWAY brand Vinegar is ANY different than a brand name???? They are in fact bottled at the same facility. As long as the average population has this thinking that expensive skimmers are the BEST the manufacturers will continue selling them at the outrages prices they are. The effort and machinery used to make 1 light bulb is greater than that of any skimmer on the market. If you don't believe me take a tour of a plant and see. Till then don't talk till you actually test the item or have had personal experience.
haha, people really do get attached to their skimmers...
Old 02/16/2007, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

The PS75 has been out several years. I had a neighbor that had one 2 years ago. It's not a true needlewheel, in that as others have said there are just small bumps on the impeller. Yes with constant adjustment you can get it to skim. The pump itself sounds like one of those wind-up toys.

As Andrew stated - you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Bathypelagic; 02/16/2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02/16/2007, 03:57 PM
Team RC Member

A) The skimmers made very cheaply and the pump is pretty much worthless for any skimmer. A Gen-x 2400 would pull alot more air than that no name brand pump. A seaclone might skim better than one of these. The skimmer I made out skim many skimmers and I built it for less than $250. Yea, you could mod it and make it a better skimmer but the body of the skimmer is still poorly built. Here's a rio 1700 with a mesh impeller.... as you can see the body is FULLY filled with bubbles:

Skimmer on my 75... less than a days worth:

Old 02/16/2007, 04:15 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

Well I'm not expecting it to skim better than my ER (it's not replacing it, that's in my other tank) However according to them this is their newest model. I have the old PS75. This one is very different. I think with the mesh mod it might turn a few heads. There are a lot of "financially inadequate" people on RC and I want to help them. By me "wasting" my time and money they may not have to. Think of it as a public service lol.

But really, I know some people who love this hobby but just can't get the greatest things due to money. I've been one of those extremely strapped for cash. I know what it's like.

Old 02/16/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

someone know a tread about the mesh mod in the impeler?? Sorry for my english it is not my first language.
Old 02/16/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Here here. Free, cheap, used. It all helps. I'm starting to outgrow my skimmer. I'll spend $30 to run two skimmers for a while and test this thing out as well. I would also be totally willing to butcher this thing for "mods" sake. haha.
Old 02/16/2007, 05:51 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

Quote:
Originally posted by akaatomic
Here here. Free, cheap, used. It all helps. I'm starting to outgrow my skimmer. I'll spend $30 to run two skimmers for a while and test this thing out as well. I would also be totally willing to butcher this thing for "mods" sake. haha.
Damn straight! Lift up your glasses men!

Old 02/16/2007, 09:12 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 20reefer
someone know a tread about the mesh mod in the impeler?? Sorry for my english it is not my first language.
Here you go:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 02/16/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Andrew!!
Old 02/16/2007, 10:07 PM
Obsessed

hey yah know. for 30 dollars. its a great skimmer! it skims crap doesnt it? if your skimmer breaks and you have this guy on yhand incase of some failure. its a hella lot better than no skimmer eh.
Old 02/16/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

ya im thinking of doing the jebo 520 for the 80 shipped to my door .
i think i can make it work

check my red house