Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/09/2007, 01:20 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by BRG
LOL.......are we talking about a 500gal skimmer here!!!!!!

I have never heard such nonsense............just buy the extruded and build the skimmer

bg
you may think this is a bunck of nonsense but its not. here is the truth about extruded acrylic.

and i quote
"ACRYLITE FF sheet also absorbs water when exposed to high relative humidities,
resulting in expansion of the sheet. At relative humidities of 100%, 80%,
and 60%, the dimensional changes are 0.6%, 0.3% and 0.2%, respectively."

if your skimmer gained 6% in all directions it wouldnt be bad. but if it gained 6% in one direction on the main tube and 6% in the other direction of the base plate then you would be looking at one big mess on the floor.
hannimister is correct when he states extruded expands alot. although i think it around 40% by weight not 60%. either way its alot of expantion.

here is where i copied this information from. please note that not all acrylic sheets will have the same expansion rates or absorb the same amounts of water. this is just a quick search and only represents 1 brand of acrylic.

http://www.cyro.com/Internet/SiteCon...df?OpenElement
Old 04/09/2007, 01:45 AM
El Jefe de WRS

I think acrylicman was the one who said it absorbs up to 60% by weight... not just pulling random numbers. 40%, 60%, whatever... its enough. Its not all that much when you think about it either... water is what, 8x heavier than acrylic or something like that (that was a number out of thin air)... so its really only something like 5% by volume or so.

Bottom line... Extruded fails unless you use some fancy flexible bonding stuff with ABS or something like Deltec does.
Old 04/09/2007, 01:59 AM
Lenny & Squiggy

There's more expansion due to absorption than I expected; .6% is one-tenth of an inch over an 18" run. Certainly nowhere near 40-60% by weight (the linked document says .2% weight over 24 hours) however check out page 16 of http://www.spartech.com/plastics/Pro...mmary_2003.pdf and you'll see that cell-cast acrylic (at least from this vendor, who mentions aquarium use specifically) has a similar overnight absorption (.2%) and actually absorbs from 1.6% to 2.6% (over a 26 day immersion) -- 8 to 20 times as much as the overnight absorption.

It looks like cell-cast suffers at least as much as extruded, if not more... it's late and I'm too tired to look for a second document on cell-cast. Based on this though I'll save money and stick with extruded for equipment and keep the cell-cast for aquarium building.
Old 04/09/2007, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

the dimensional changes are 0.6%, 0.3% and 0.2%, respectively

That is much less than 1%. I would not worry at all, I have built many, none had any problem. Some brand name sumps/fuges/wd filters are extruded, some of ER skimmers are extruded, Aqua C, DAS skimmers are extruded.
Old 04/09/2007, 09:45 AM
Premium Member

come on guys........ all of your info is interesting and may be very correct........but lets get real here!!....how many people have built skimmers out of extruded tubing without any problems?

bg
Old 04/09/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

How about soaking the acrylic for a while before gluing?
Old 04/09/2007, 10:49 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by BRG
come on guys........ all of your info is interesting and may be very correct........but lets get real here!!....how many people have built skimmers out of extruded tubing without any problems?

bg
its better to make an informed decision when building something. that is all im doing. giving information. if he still wants to use the extruded tube than at least he knows what the properties are.
there is no reason to be sarcastic. more than one person has been thrown off r/c for there attitude problems. hanimister and i are just giving information. what have you provided to this thread other than sarcasm?
Old 04/09/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

I paid extra for the cast for piece of mind. Kids, pets, and visitors all put my external recirc. skimmer at risk everytime.
A quality built skimmer can take a kick or drop onto hard surface, especially with the use of uniseals instead of glued plumbing.

I have broken a skimmer before from lifting it out of my sump and it slipping and falling only ~ 12 inches and all water those 12".

I can promise you that would not happen with my thick cast skimmer now.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 04/09/2007, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
there is one big problem with that tube. its extruded tube.
how many skimmers have been built from extruded tube without any problems

bg
Old 04/09/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

It only takes one to ruin everything.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 04/09/2007, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
its better to make an informed decision when building something. that is all im doing. giving information. if he still wants to use the extruded tube than at least he knows what the properties are.
there is no reason to be sarcastic. more than one person has been thrown off r/c for there attitude problems. hanimister and i are just giving information. what have you provided to this thread other than sarcasm?
again your above info may be correct...........but it to sounds a little sarcastic.........

bg
Old 04/09/2007, 04:21 PM
DIY Junkie

BRG....Spazz bilds skimmers for a living...i would be more inclined to take His advice over most people on this thread on the constructio/materials for DIYing a skimmer.
Old 04/09/2007, 04:42 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Keep poking the Bear with the stick... lol.

Something to keep in mind with those dimensional changes is how extruded will expand in comparison to cast. Cast, as its name suggests, has even interstitial properties throughout. When it expands, it expands in all directions evenly... so you can make 90degree joints and everything in the z-direction of one piece will mesh up with everything in the y-direction of another as it expands.

Extruded doesnt expand evenly in all directions. It will expand more in its direction of extrusion... so if you bond an extruded piece to another at an angle, one piece will expand across the joint, and the other will not.

I have seen extruded fail, and would not consider it unless on something with less than 12" of water height, and with an extra bead of Weld-On #16 in the corner.

You may heckle, and claim that there are skimmer mfg's out there that use extruded... sure... there are 2 I can think of. I mentioned them before. Euroreef has on their RS series, and Deltecs. But like I said before, Deltecs also use a special cement to bond their acrylic to ABS, not other acrylic. In the case of the Euroreef, they will only use Extruded on the RS line, and with special bonding cements once again which allow for expansion. The RS line is an in-sump only skimmer, so the dangers of that leaking are none.

There are also machining considerations. Extruded often cracks while drilling, isnt as strong as cast, etc. You can easily knock it and give it a crack much easier than Cast.

FWIW, if you want to find an alternative to Cast, my suggestion would be to use Clear PVC instead. Then you can just use PVC cement and bond regular PVC fittings on for a skimmer. Its super-easy to machine with wood-bits, and its much more durable. Thats why ASM, Korallin, and others use it.
Old 04/09/2007, 06:38 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
Keep poking the Bear with the stick... lol.
[...]

You may heckle... [...]
To be clear, I'm not trying to poke anybody with a stick or heckle I'm just trying to realize the real implications of using extruded vs cast acrylic, and whether the cost difference is worth the 'risks.'

I saw claims about certain failures due to extruded acrylics 40-60% absorption of water -- claims that, it turns out, aren't true at all.

This is not to say there aren't advantages to using cell-cast acrylic. It is certainly easier to work with and is more forgiving of rough treatment during the build process and during use. Personally, in my opinion, your mileage may vary, etc. the additional cost of cell-cast acrylic does not make up for the benefits on smaller projects. Others obviously disagree.

I just want the correct information to be presented so people can make their own informed decisions about what material to use. If I had to build my projects out of cell-cast, I'd be doing a lot less DIY... and I think it'd be a shame if other folks missed out on the fun of building their own skimmer/whatever because they're afraid of buggering up a $100 chunk of acrylic. That being said, if I *could* afford to use cell-cast acrylic I absolutely would
Old 04/09/2007, 11:01 PM
WildThing....You Moved Me

Quote:
Originally posted by BRG

bg
Me! And many of them!
Reactors too. Not one problem with joints. If you use the correct bonding agent, the two pieces meld to become one. So if the junction of the connecting pieces is now structurally part of the connecting pieces, why wouldn't it expand as well?
Answer: it does!
Guy
Old 04/09/2007, 11:56 PM
El Jefe de WRS

So... if I weld a piece of aluminum to a piece of steel, then they both have the same structure? Wow... Then the Airforce should weld little pieces of steel to every piece of alumimum on a Jet and they would all be as strong as steel!

I think you get the point. Bonding one piece to another, through a chemical weld, or glue, does not extend the chemical properties of one material to another.
Old 04/10/2007, 12:33 AM
Premium Member

#1) Dissimilar materials is also an issue. An extruded tube glued
to a cast base-plate, for example, would exacerbate the stress.
Similar materials of similar thickness expand the same, minimizing
stress at the glue joint.

#2) I don't think extruded tube is available over 8-inches.
Relatively small 6 to 8-inch tube expands less in absolute
distance than a 12 to 15 inch tube. Still, 0.6% of 12-inches is
less than one-tenth of an inch. A cast base-plate will also expand
outward in all directions the same amount, so the glue joint has
no additional stress from water absorption.

#3) Any expansion is a one-time deal for skimmers, reactors,
etc. It's not like wood expanding and contracting as the relative
humidity varies. It's built, it's filled with water and expands, and
that's it.
Old 04/10/2007, 01:02 AM
WildThing....You Moved Me

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
So... if I weld a piece of aluminum to a piece of steel, then they both have the same structure? Wow... Then the Airforce should weld little pieces of steel to every piece of alumimum on a Jet and they would all be as strong as steel!

I think you get the point. Bonding one piece to another, through a chemical weld, or glue, does not extend the chemical properties of one material to another.
Of course not! You'd have a very difficult time welding aluminium to steel.

As for bonding dissimilar acrylics, the expansion rates would likely be different. But whether or not the rates are severe enough to cause a joint failure, I don't know for sure.

All I can vouch for is pieces I've built that have had zero problems with joint failure.
Guy
Old 04/10/2007, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

GuySmile,

thanks for the link to the tubing.....I to have built skimmers and reactors out of extruded tubing without any problems as well as many other's on RC.......using the right glue is the key!!!

bg
Old 04/10/2007, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hyperfocal
To be clear, I'm not trying to poke anybody with a stick or heckle I'm just trying to realize the real implications of using extruded vs cast acrylic, and whether the cost difference is worth the 'risks.'

I saw claims about certain failures due to extruded acrylics 40-60% absorption of water -- claims that, it turns out, aren't true at all.

This is not to say there aren't advantages to using cell-cast acrylic. It is certainly easier to work with and is more forgiving of rough treatment during the build process and during use. Personally, in my opinion, your mileage may vary, etc. the additional cost of cell-cast acrylic does not make up for the benefits on smaller projects. Others obviously disagree.

I just want the correct information to be presented so people can make their own informed decisions about what material to use. If I had to build my projects out of cell-cast, I'd be doing a lot less DIY... and I think it'd be a shame if other folks missed out on the fun of building their own skimmer/whatever because they're afraid of buggering up a $100 chunk of acrylic. That being said, if I *could* afford to use cell-cast acrylic I absolutely would
very well said ............I would not be having as much fun building projects if I had to pay the price for cast acrylic for everything

bg
Old 05/15/2007, 11:48 AM
Lenny & Squiggy

Eating Crow

I started building a new square-bodied skimmer this weekend. As part of the process, I pulled out my current DIY skimmer (6" dia extruded tube) to check a few measurements and noticed that some pretty serious cracks had started forming from a couple of the holes I had drilled for the uni-seals

The cracks were a lot more serious than just crazing, they were fully through. A little tug on the recirc plumbing, and the uni-seal popped out with a ~3" square piece of acrylic still attached. One full side of the cylinder had completely lost it's integrity. It wouldn't have been long before the side burst out.

Time for me to eat crow. Hahn, Spazz -- you guys were right about the fragility and long-term unreliability of extruded acrylic. I'll be spending the extra money for cell-cast, particularly for tubes... floods cost a lot more than the price difference between cell and extruded acrylic.

Let the "Told ya so-ing" begin
Old 05/15/2007, 12:15 PM
Premium Member

Wow, props to the honesty hyperfocal. Well said, and good info!

While we're all here, I got this paper on a DIY wooden skimmer, oh, never mind....

Great dialog, lets keep learning!
Old 05/15/2007, 01:12 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Yeah, no 'I told you so's here... rather I agree with fuzzyt: thanks for being honest.
Old 05/15/2007, 01:29 PM
You Load 16Tons...

Quote:
although i think it around 40% by weight not 60%. either way its alot of expantion.
saying 40% by weight or 60% or whatever is meaningless. just because it absorbs alot of water has no direct bearing on how much that water will cause the material to swell.

Quote:
water is what, 8x heavier than acrylic or something like that (that was a number out of thin air)... so its really only something like 5% by volume or so.
i gotta get me some of this floating acrylic. sounds like fun.

Quote:
few measurements and noticed that some pretty serious cracks had started forming from a couple of the holes I had drilled for the uni-seals
probably had more to do with crappy holes in thin crappy plastic, and then the force needed to insert the pipe than from swelling.

i don't use extruded anymore myself (mostly because it cracks so easy while cutting/drilling), but things i've made years ago are still doing fine. both extruded tube glued to cast bases/tops and square tubes/bottoms made from extruded sheet. all glued with #4. if it really was that big an issue, problems would be *much* more prevalent and common knowledge. *lots* of people make stuff from extruded all the time.
Old 05/15/2007, 02:27 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

Quote:
Originally posted by manderx

probably had more to do with crappy holes in thin crappy plastic, and then the force needed to insert the pipe than from swelling.
Perhaps. However, I drilled the holes as carefully as I could in plastic bought from Tap. Whether the problem came from materials, technique or a combination of both doesn't really matter to me though. If I can't rely on extruded, but I can on cell-cast then I'll stick with cell. If your skills and materials are better, more power to you :-)

Quote:
i don't use extruded anymore myself (mostly because it cracks so easy while cutting/drilling), but things i've made years ago are still doing fine. both extruded tube glued to cast bases/tops and square tubes/bottoms made from extruded sheet. all glued with #4. if it really was that big an issue, problems would be *much* more prevalent and common knowledge. *lots* of people make stuff from extruded all the time. [/B]
My situation is an anecdote. I certainly don't present it as evidence that extruded acrylic will always fail. The world is full of things that are fine for one person/situation but bad for another. Bottom line is that material selection is a risk analysis. Prior to my recent experience, I felt that the cost of cell-cast didn't offset the risks. Now I feel otherwise, at least when it comes to tubes.