Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/02/2007, 05:33 AM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
What if that stuff is being boxed somewhere and is picking up laundry fumes some how ?
If it is able to absorb these fumes as odors from nearby products, is it also possible that it is absorbing other negative things from near buy chemicals/soaps in the factory ?

I was recently told not to store my salt in the garage for this reason . The possibility of the salt adsorbing gas or other fumes through the plastic poly bag is possible and much more possible if the bag is opened.

Last edited by Snarkys; 04/02/2007 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04/02/2007, 10:45 AM
Older Than the Cretaceous

Jd and Snarkys

It may even pick it at the supermarket, it is always sitting on the shelves next to all those detergent boxes

Yes, that is a very good point.

The possibility of the salt adsorbing gas or other fumes through the plastic poly bag is possible and much more possible if the bag is opened

Yes, that is nothing new as almost all the bags have diffusion/osmosis properties. Matter of fact they actually test bags to see how breathable or unbreathable they are. Many years ago IO was testing a new plastic. The bags where to be left sitting on the pallet for 6 months to see how this new plastic breathed. By accident the pallet of salt mix got sent out. It ended up in some stores in the Minnesota area. The bags swelled up like balloons, as the generated gases inside the mix could not escape.
Old 04/03/2007, 02:28 PM

Church & Dwight has returned my phone call. If anyone has a box of Washing Soda that is making water brown or has a perfume smell to it feel free to call them and get the address to send the box in for a complete assay.

Take note that Church & Dwight, like many other companies, know that we use this stuff in fish tanks and they will not only tell you flat out NOT to Washing Soda but even NOT to use Arm & Hammer Baking Soda bought from super market or any place else as sold in its Arm & Hammer box. They will even tell you not not to use these two products in a swimming pool. Reason is, these two products are not for those uses. Such products for these uses come from another division for these purposes.

Church & Dwight
469 North Harrison St.
Princeton, NJ 08543

main: 800-221-0453

My direct phone call back from C & D

1-609-683-5900

http://www.ahperformance.com/contact.asp

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 04/03/2007, 04:20 PM
reefaholic

Has anyone else used A&H washing soda and gotten a brown solution like Snarkys? (not talking about odor which is much more subjective)

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking the 'red house' icon above :)
Old 04/03/2007, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

I have
Old 04/03/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

I've got some sodium carbonate dense, food grade from General Chemical coming tomorrow. I'm going to mix 375 grams or 375 ml (bulk density is 1034 GPL) of dry measure to be the equivalent of 2 1/4 cups of baking soda before baking. Does that sound about right?
Old 04/04/2007, 07:36 AM
reefaholic

ROR, how did you purchase that? I emailed them but haven't received a response yet.

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking the 'red house' icon above :)
Old 04/04/2007, 08:29 AM
RC Sponsor

I talked to some club members last night that use washing soda . they also get the brown water that smells like soap. They told me they used it anyways because they read it was safe and have not had any problems. Hard to know if there will be any long term accumulative effects or smaller effects from these impurities that you simply wouldn't visually notice. That said , they were glad to take some FMC and try it out.

It may very well be 100% reef safe but if I had a choice id pick the one that's crystal clear and doesn't smell like soap.
Old 04/04/2007, 08:35 AM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Church & Dwight has returned my phone call. If anyone has a box of Washing Soda that is making water brown or has a perfume smell to it feel free to call them and get the address to send the box in for a complete assay.

Take note that Church & Dwight, like many other companies, know that we use this stuff in fish tanks and they will not only tell you flat out NOT to Washing Soda but even NOT to use Arm & Hammer Baking Soda bought from super market or any place else as sold in its Arm & Hammer box. They will even tell you not not to use these two products in a swimming pool. Reason is, these two products are not for those uses. Such products for these uses come from another division for these purposes.

Church & Dwight
469 North Harrison St.
Princeton, NJ 08543

main: 800-221-0453

My direct phone call back from C & D

1-609-683-5900

http://www.ahperformance.com/contact.asp
I will send mine in today .
Old 04/04/2007, 08:35 AM

Snarkys

Why don't you guys take those boxes and send them to C & D. They want to know. When I go grocery shopping a day or two I'm going to get one and I'm hoping it does what you say and will send it in.

edit I posted to early

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 04/04/2007, 08:37 AM
RC Sponsor

I will send mine in today. hopefully someone else can send one in from a different part of the country.
Old 04/04/2007, 08:39 AM

By the way do you need any extra snow down there we got like 14 ". I can ship you some if you need it

Old 04/04/2007, 09:08 AM
RC Sponsor

LOL , we just got a light dusting : )

you can keep the snow I have had my quota for the year ...
Old 04/04/2007, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

Odi-Dad, I got it at a local chemical supply company. I just asked for food grade sodium carbonate, and if they could fax me a spec sheet.
Old 04/04/2007, 09:55 AM
RC Sponsor

check and see if it is "food grade" and not just one that passes the food codex. every grade they have passes the food codex. I just ask because it is extremely common for chemical supply to have the normal dense one in stock and kinda rare to have the food grade one.

http://www.genchem.com/soda-ash-dense.asp

http://www.genchem.com/soda-ash-food-grade.asp
Old 04/04/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

I'll see how it's labelled when it comes. I'm not sure, but I think "food grade" has to have a certificate of analysis. I didn't think to ask for aquarium grade- if it exists.
Old 04/04/2007, 11:57 AM
RC Sponsor

I personally think both are fine . i was just curious.
Old 04/04/2007, 11:58 AM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Snarkys

When I go grocery shopping a day or two I'm going to get one and I'm hoping it does what you say and will send it in.

Want me to send ya some of the FMC so you can something to compare the A&H to ? ?
Old 04/04/2007, 12:54 PM

No but thanks I still have some of the Aqautronics "Buffex". Looks just like your stuff from FMC. I think Aquatronics is no longer in business. Pete Escobal is getting old. But I see some places still have some of his products like meds. and even the Buffex. I can not find anything on-line about Aquatronics, all old links are dead. Most ref are me posting about some of his stuff here and on other fourms To bad they use to have all the best meds.

Just made a phone call yup, they are gone

Old 04/04/2007, 03:12 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Most ref are me posting about some of his stuff here and on other fourms To bad they use to have all the best meds.
Posting and getting your own posts in the search engines is like spitting upwards, eventually comes back
Old 04/04/2007, 03:47 PM
RC Sponsor

well she said i should get a shipping label in a week or so . I would guess it will be a while before we hear back on this.

She also recommended not to use it for this propose because it is made for cleaning dirty socks not for aquariums but we all know that these statements are pretty much mandatory. I don't think we should be too careless and just disregard all these warnings just because many of them turn out to be BS.

as stated before , for the Canadians out there , your A&H is perfumed and has additives so don't use it .
Old 04/04/2007, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Snarkys, thanks for the heads up, eh.
Old 04/04/2007, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

Wa-hoo my soda ash just came in. The bag says Dense Soda Ash Food Grade.

It also says "This product meets American Water Works Association standard B201-98 for use in treatment of municipal and industrial water supplies"

Now that would make sense of why they stock it. I had heard it was added to the water in our area to boost the PH, since low PH causes excessive corrosion in the water lines.

In Canada check out Univar Canada for this product. They may only sell it to you if you have a business though.
Old 04/04/2007, 06:40 PM

not to use it for this propose because it is made for cleaning dirty socks not for aquariums..... too careless and just disregard

Yes, I said that in my last post. She also said the same thing for A & H Baking Soda, do not use in an aquarium or either in a swimming pool, that is not their intended purpose. Mag Flake has also recently sent out warings to us not to use it in aquariums. But the WS appears to be a real issue. I can hardly wait to see what they find. On a side note, just for S & G, how do we know it is not Gen Chem contaminating it and A & H is unaware. ?

your A&H is perfumed and has additives so don't use it .

You better watch your remakes there Snarkys, that could get you in big legal trouble
Old 04/04/2007, 08:46 PM
RC Sponsor

looks like every grade that gen chem makes is extremely pure , im guessing they wouldn't risk sending contaminated product to A&H which is probably one of their bigger customers.
FMC is across the street and im sure A&H would go to them in a heart beat if something like that was happening.

anything is possible though : )