Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/28/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Piper's Travis Tank update

Thought I'd post a quick update on my tank build and solicit Travis' opinion. Here's the full tank shot, but I've got more pic's of the light fixtures, inside and out, etc in my build thread.

Build thread
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1023218

Tank Shot
Old 01/29/2007, 10:35 AM
My Life for Aiur!

phishtail
It would be best to contact the manufacturer, but I would venutre to guess it is just the bottom and the curved pane of glass. As far as skimmers go, I would look in the DIY Forum here on Reef Central. There are just too many DIY Builds that you could do for me to possibly list on here. By the way, welcome and thanks for the compliments.

hedgelj
I'll attempt to keep along with that thread as well. I can't promise posting or anything, but I'll do what I can. And yes, Waterkeeper is surely a unique one.

first-chevalier
Looks good. thanks for updating.
Old 01/29/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the response. i have a ton of ?s but will ask as i go. can you use too much filtration? i have gathered(used)a fluval405 can. filter,cpr bakpak2 skimmer, various power filters. am thinking of using a fluidized bed filter. a refugium sounds interesting too. and, what is lol? thanks again
Old 01/30/2007, 09:27 AM
My Life for Aiur!

It depends on who you ask. Personally, I think it is possible to filter too much, but it also depends on the inhabitants living in your system. But to ease your mind, there are some serious things you would have to do for a long time in order to have an "over filtered" tank.
Old 01/30/2007, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

Travis, that prompts me to ask a question concerning the 10g project. In your construction while you've discussed filtration to a great extent the project itself only utilizes LR and a refugium. What else can you add to augment or improve the system?

I'm about to the point of adding rock, sand, and water to my setup and I'm starting to get nervous. I've got a solid 2 micron water filter at the house for drinking water etc. and was considering making my own salt water, but I begin to worry I'm missing something there.

Then I get concerned with buying premade water from my LFS.

That prompts me to wonder just how much water to buy based on how much/many water changes I'll need to make and how often while my new live rock cures and the tank cycles.

I'm 'What Ifing' myself into timidity and hesitance. Can you give me a touchstone or sanity check on this? Thanks.
Old 01/30/2007, 12:18 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Travis, that prompts me to ask a question concerning the 10g project. In your construction while you've discussed filtration to a great extent the project itself only utilizes LR and a refugium. What else can you add to augment or improve the system?
More or less, that is the filtration that I chose. All the filtration methods that I explained are viable choices, but the choice is yours. All filtration methods will work IF you properly maintain it. Even sand and live rock isn't fool proof. The choice is yours of what extra filtration you want to keep up with.

Quote:
I'm about to the point of adding rock, sand, and water to my setup and I'm starting to get nervous. I've got a solid 2 micron water filter at the house for drinking water etc. and was considering making my own salt water, but I begin to worry I'm missing something there.
A micron filter won't get everything out. If you are worried about it, then I suggest getting a TDS meter to measure the Total Dissolved Solids in the water.

Quote:
Then I get concerned with buying premade water from my LFS.
Same situation with home as is with the LFS. The owner's responsibility is to keep his water top notch. You can either kindly request the results of the LFS water, or buy some and take it home to be tested. Also, if you are thinking of premixed saltwater, ask and test what the salinity is.

Quote:
That prompts me to wonder just how much water to buy based on how much/many water changes I'll need to make and how often while my new live rock cures and the tank cycles.
This is all up to you, and also whether or not you choose to do water changes during the cycle. For more information refer further back in the thread about the Nitrogen Cycle.

Quote:
I'm 'What Ifing' myself into timidity and hesitance. Can you give me a touchstone or sanity check on this? Thanks
There's really no Right or Wrong way to do this. The key is knowing what you're doing. Usually, if you don't feel comfortable with something, then you lack the needed knowledge. So, I recommend doing a little more independent research on areas that you feel are still shady in your mind. Once you understand the processes that you're curious about, you should feel a lot more comfortable. Now, it's okay to feel a little anxious or nervous. After all, drilling glass for the first time will make just about anyone nervous.
Old 01/30/2007, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the answers. I'm actively researching things now on the water side. As for drilling glass.....we drill tonight, I think.
Old 01/30/2007, 02:24 PM
My Life for Aiur!

I recommend getting a small, scrap pane of glass either from a hardware store, or even from an old picture frame, and practice on it first.
Old 01/30/2007, 03:50 PM
Bogus Information Expert

I wish you'd tell me this stuff sooner. Like you didn't say anything about draining the tank when I drilled that 400 gallon.

Tom
Old 01/30/2007, 04:10 PM
30 year and over club

You have to take the water out first?........DOHH
Old 01/30/2007, 05:56 PM
Bogus Information Expert

I remember Travis said something about using water when you drill but with the Alzheimer I get so easily confused.

Tom
Old 01/30/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Drilling a 10g, Not well

My hopes and dreams are shattered, and that's not all. You may say I told you so Travis. I'm not sure what I did wrong. Had pleanty of water running, had the dremmel on 5 ( top setting), wasn't pushing at all...

[IMG] http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...ttered-10g.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01/30/2007, 09:22 PM
Zoa Fanatic

Did you go slow and let the bit eat, or did you push it? Also, was the glass tempered?
Old 01/31/2007, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Did that tank come from Walmart? I read a post many months ago about someone drilling a tank they bought there and had the same results. He'd drilled quite a few tanks before, so the verdict was that they're actually tempered on the sides as well as the bottom. Anyway, looked just like that, so I'd guess you were drilling tempered glass, unless you know otherwise.

-Mike C.
Old 01/31/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

I went slow and did not push at all.

Yes, it was a Wally World tank. There was a sticker on the bottom of the tank that indicated which side should be placed as the back of the tank so I am making the assumption you are right that the back was tempered as well.

I have another source of 10g tanks that isn't Walmart from which I plan to aquire another shot. They're also cheaper by about three dollars. If that doesn't work there is a glass shop around the corner from my house.
Old 01/31/2007, 10:55 AM
My Life for Aiur!

That is definitely the signs of a tale tell tempered glass That's really wierd though. All the 10g tanks I've drilled have been from WalMart. 14 of them to be exact. None of them had tempered sides.

Quote:
Yes, it was a Wally World tank. There was a sticker on the bottom of the tank that indicated which side should be placed as the back of the tank so I am making the assumption you are right that the back was tempered as well.
Holy cow. That's new! Which side did you drill? The one that is intended to be the back of the tank, or the one intended to be the front?

Sorry about the troubles that you had, but look at it this way. Now you know what a shattered tempered glass pane looks like and how loud it is when it breaks. Plus, literally thousands of people here on Reef Central will now know more about drilling tanks.
Old 01/31/2007, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Just got back from LFS getting a new 10g. The Fish Guy (my monicker for petshop owners) said ALL tanks are now made with tempered glass and have been for some time. I'm not sure I believe him, but I am going to work on an acrylic overflow to pull water over the back lip instead of drilling. Great sadness. Hope this was helpful and or saves you guys. If I'm wrong here I'd love to know.
Old 01/31/2007, 01:57 PM
My Life for Aiur!

That's very odd. Maybe all the tanks that I've gotten "new" were just in stock for a long time. it was only a few months back that I helped someone drill their just-got-it-from-the-store 75g. Nothing went wrong there
Old 01/31/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

I have a perfecto from the LFS that I'm debating trying. I also have two sheets of quarter inch acrylic and am debating making my own tank and refugium there as I now have a full pint of acrylic solvent! If I can only make straight cuts with my table saw I might be in business......
Old 02/01/2007, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

first-chevalier, sorry to hear about your glass shattering experience. what a bummer. i read elsewhere that you can call the manf.(e.g. aga),tell them size, thickness of glass & they might be able to tell you if its tempered. just a thought fwiw. im going to drill mine this weekend. if it breaks, it will just set me back awhile until i can find another. i refuse to do the siphon feed overflow(tank overflowing all over the place if it fails) yikes. good luck with your next one
Old 02/01/2007, 09:34 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Okay. This is purely RUMOR as of right now. I have not tried it. Supposedly, if you look at a glass tank with Polarized Sunglasses, the tempered glass looks different than regular glass. I don't know the validity of that statement. I guess I need to get off my lazy but, toss on some cool shades, and make a trip down to our local Petco and see what I can see.
Old 02/01/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

It was my initial plan to build a siphon until I talked to my engineering friend with the 55g bow front. He said the same thing and that has made me sufficiently leery of them so as not to do one. I'm trying to contact perfecto now.....

I just called Perfecto manufacturing (http://www.perfectomfg.com/) with a number from their website under construction. They said their tempered tanks have a bright orange sticker on them. I gave them the name of the LFS I bought if from and she said it should be aneeled (sp?) which is non-tempered. I'm going to give this one a shot tonight and see what happens. I'll let you know how it turns out......
Old 02/01/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Oh, she said their aneeled tanks have ALL non-tempered panes, including the bottom. I'm going to drill the back just in case, but if this turns out to be true, might make a change in the plans for a future project.
Old 02/01/2007, 09:47 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Interesting. Definitely keep us updated.
Old 02/01/2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

More inforamtion. As I'm calling around to various places both glass manufacturers and LFS's I get new tidbits. This one comes from the LFS my friend used to have his 55g bow drilled. They said the 10g tanks are made from scrap glass and so while all the bottoms are supposed to be from tempered glass sometimes the sides can be too. I'm not sure how much of that I believe, but it would explain why my tank blew up. I'm still going to go with Perfecto saying it's not tempered and see though.