Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/23/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

I need help! I made two mjmod's using mj900's and the low-flow kits from mjmods.com. This morning I came downstairs to the sound of one of them trying to spin backwards and slamming into the acrylic stop peg. It never was able to get itself spinning correctly so I unplugged it several times and still no luck. Left it unplugged and went to work. Then when I got home from work the other was doing the same thing!

I'm sure it is something I have done wrong but I have no idea what. I followed the direction perfectly...everything is balanced and when it is spinning the right direction it produces a ton of flow...

Has anyone else had this problem?!
Old 01/23/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

I need help! I made two mjmod's using mj900's and the low-flow kits from mjmods.com. This morning I came downstairs to the sound of one of them trying to spin backwards and slamming into the acrylic stop peg. It never was able to get itself spinning correctly so I unplugged it several times and still no luck. Left it unplugged and went to work. Then when I got home from work the other was doing the same thing!

I'm sure it is something I have done wrong but I have no idea what. I followed the direction perfectly...everything is balanced and when it is spinning the right direction it produces a ton of flow...

Old 01/23/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Old 01/23/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Old 01/23/2007, 08:29 PM
On "The List"

problem get you a little excited?
(triple double post)

No help here, I still have not made mine, but will be doing so shortly

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 01/23/2007, 09:25 PM
Losing again! NEXT YEAR!

HOLY CRAP!!! Ease up on the trigger!

I had the exact same problem with my 900. All I had to do was shave a little bit off the prop with some sandpaper and it started working just fine.
Old 01/25/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Had the same problem. Just took off the shroud, held the tip of the carbon fiber shaft with my middle finger, the back of the motor with my thumb, plugged it in, then held some sand paper to the spinning prop. haven't had a problem since then.
Old 01/30/2007, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

Can someone put together a shopping list for parts and where to buy them to mod MJ900 and MJ1200?
Old 01/30/2007, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

www.mjmods.com
Old 01/30/2007, 10:53 PM
Premium Member

I posted about using these magnets to mount my MJ mod on the previous page http://www.magnet4less.com/NB065.html... Well, i ordered them from a different site and found out quick that they have no place in this hobby unless it's to hold your stand together!!!! I accidently let them get too close (about 9 inches apart) and they flew out of my hands toward each other. They are way too powerful to trust on opposite sides of glass! I had to use all my strength to twist and pull at them to get them apart, and i'm not a small guy either! Thought i'd give you an update in case someone else was thinking about ordering them too.
Old 01/30/2007, 10:55 PM
Premium Member

I decided to just be safe and order the simple magnet mounts from MJ Mods: http://www.mjmods.com/.
Old 01/30/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

well Approximate pulling force: 73 lbs would explain why
Old 01/30/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

try these: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RX054E
Old 01/31/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

24lbs of force is all you need. I built some magnet pump holders for my neighbor who has a 150gal. I think the glass is around 1/2" thick, plus the thickness of the plastic mount worked out perfect. Anything more than that and it wouldn't hold.
Old 01/31/2007, 09:32 PM
RC Sponsor

this is broken glass waiting to happen : )
Old 02/01/2007, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

please explain master jedi????
Old 02/01/2007, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

I epoxy'd a magnet with a pull force of 73lbs to my mjmod, and it is fine. The agnet on the outside of the glass doesnt need to be as strong. (Actually I keep it in an Ipod sock so I can pull it off easier.

If you use strong magnets, make sure when you put them together through the glass, you first place them on the glassaway from each other, THEN slide them together.

With .5" of glass between the magnets, it's not that hard to get them apart. PLus witht he extra strength, you can mount rocks or corals to your MaxiStream Shroud.

But of course.. Be carefull. These magnets can "bite".

Chris
Old 02/01/2007, 03:08 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by N-A-S-O
please explain master jedi????
I was going to sell something like these until i played with them a bit. Unless you are ready for how strong these are it is really easy for one to come flying out of your hand at the glass : (

if you are extremely careful with them all the time id say they work very well but it only takes once ...

stupid magnets are the most dangerous thing in my shop . they feel so inert and safe in your hand until you swing your hand to close to another one ... then suddenly you have two magnets with 70 pound of force each pinching a fold on your skin ...would be pretty easy for one of these to pop out of your hand and hit the glass if you were not ready for it.
Old 02/05/2007, 11:31 AM
Evil Conservative

Does anyone remember where the thread was about that Seaswirl like device that you attached the maximod too to create a occsilating wavemaker??

Thanks
Scott

Response from Bean Animal
"Username or Bullseye?"

Click the Red House for my Website
Old 02/05/2007, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

What are the dimensions (hole size, propeller wing span) of the Dumas 3004 propeller?
Old 02/05/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

This is what I see listed on the net for the dimensions of the 3004. I assume that the 3/16" is the hole size. How about the .19-.35?

Dumas Plastic Prop 3/16" .19-.35
Old 02/05/2007, 12:53 PM
Evil Conservative

NM I found it...

Scott

Response from Bean Animal
"Username or Bullseye?"

Click the Red House for my Website
Old 02/05/2007, 02:34 PM
El Jefe de WRS

I wonder, what is the pitch of the 3004...??
Old 02/05/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

check this site out for the specs of the Dumas

http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/i...9f026de55dd56f

Dumas 3004:
Item Description
1.75" Dia. 1.50" Pitch Left Hand 3/16" Bore
Prop #3004 for .19 to .35 Size Engine 3/16" Hole
Old 02/05/2007, 03:44 PM
El Jefe de WRS

So a 1.75" diameter and a 1.5 pitch.... so thats a total pitch of 2.625 Hmmm... I thought my 1.38" octura was pushing more. The octura 2035 is small enough to use with 1.5" pipe, yet has a total pitch of 2.760... more than the dumas 3004. Yet its diameter is small enough that its startup torque requirements are much lower... and once the pump gets spinning, it no longer makes a diff.

I know it sounds odd, but IMO, the octura 2035 is the largest prop you can use on a MJ1200... not because of its diameter, but its pitch (2.0).