Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2005, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

The ever so worn out question-manifolds.....

I am setting up a 90 gal tank. it will be plumbed to the basement. return pump is a lifegaurd seahorse (~4580 GPH). even at 12 ft pentair says it will maintain atleast 4000 GPH in 1.5" pipe.
So the question is: with 1" pipe on the manifold, 6 outlets, will this manifold break down the flow enough to prevent a jacuzzi/sand storm? I checked and a valve on the return line is not a problem to the pump but i want to run full blast if i can.

Thanks for the help!

BR
Old 12/03/2005, 10:03 AM
Parapterois heterura

yes... it will diffuse the flow adequately... to well perhaps.

I'm always concerned about using an oversized sump return pump to drive a manifold. It's always better to have a modest return pump for the sump loop, and a separate CLM pump.

In both cases the pumps will run more efficiently, and likely with less noise and friction or head loss issues.

I've wrotten about this at length ni a number of other threads, but the gist of it is my rec' for you to have a sump pump running around 1000 gph or 10%-ish of the display volume (whichever is greater on aquaria over 50gall). And then create your needed display water movement (by water means) on/in the display itself as with a CLM pump tapped into the tank (or driven by a submerged pump)... Tunze streamers... OMs, Seaswirls, SQWDS... whatever. But all/always topside on the display for maximum efficiency overall.
Old 12/03/2005, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

great! thanks for the advice!
i was looking for the correct size pump but for the deal i got on this one i couldnt pass it up! its nearly new, only used a cuople of months and the LFS sold it to me for $75!!!
thanks!
BR