Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2005, 12:16 PM
Clownfish Enthusiast

Corals for horizontal overflow

Looking for suggestions as to what corals would be best to cover the front and sides of my horizontal overflow? I've got an 1/2" extended lip to place frags on. I'm looking for something colorful, hardy, and something that will not overrun the tank.
Keep in mind this coral will have extreme lighting (250W HQI MH 10K + 110 PC actinics) and tons of flow.

Please suggest and pics if you have
Old 11/14/2005, 12:46 PM
Parapterois heterura

a fine place to sequester the hostile, invasive but beautiful Green Star Polyps for starters
Old 11/14/2005, 01:04 PM
Clownfish Enthusiast

Yeah, personally I like them. Any other more creative ideas, Not a good place for Shrooms or rics?
Old 11/14/2005, 01:06 PM
Parapterois heterura

Ricordea are high light and relatively high flow.... a fine place. But not for most other corallimorpharians
Old 11/14/2005, 01:09 PM
Clownfish Enthusiast

how would I attach them?
Old 11/14/2005, 01:24 PM
Parapterois heterura

That is a good question... very good for finding in the established RC archives at large... propagation forum archives... my article index... Book of Coral Propagation, etc

I am a teacher, my friend... not an enabler. And this is your reminder, grasshopper, to be resourceful and help yourself with such simple questions.

Beyond pride in accomplishment for finding the answers yourself... you will discover many other interesting things likely in the process. It's a beautiful thing about researching/resourcing
Old 11/14/2005, 01:26 PM
Parapterois heterura

BTW... readers of my forum will notice I run rants like this especially with folks that have high post counts or list advanced degrees/vocations in their profiles, such as... say...Kinesiology teacher

The premise being a higher expectatioon for resourcefullness rather than spoon-feeding among educated adults (versus Internet newbies and/or young adults, children, etc that appropriately get kid gloves )
Old 11/14/2005, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

IT may be best to try and grow as much coralline on the overflow as possible, which will give anything you try to grow on the overflow (whether it be anything from start polyps to sps) a foot hold on the overflow instead of a smooth acrylic surface that may be hard to attach to.
Old 11/14/2005, 09:47 PM
Clownfish Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, except Anthony. JK
OK Anthony do you know what Kinesiology is? and don't cheat

if you need to use your resourcefullness

thanks again ( I hope you know that I am having some fun here)
Old 11/14/2005, 09:49 PM
Clownfish Enthusiast

BTW, I got a high post count from posting

BUMP a bunch of times
Old 11/14/2005, 11:43 PM
Parapterois heterura

British humor is tops for me. I have post history that indicates the influence of very dry wit and even drier delivery

ergonomically yours,

Anthony Calfo

Last edited by Anthony Calfo; 11/15/2005 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11/15/2005, 12:30 AM
Fish Yenta

You could do multi-color star polyps (purple, pink etc.) or "encrusting gorgonian" which a soft coral and I think of various species.

Hmmm... or montipora?
Old 11/15/2005, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

"do you know what Kinesiology is?"

I love Jeopardy and similar games. Here is my guess, and I have not looked it up (I don't cheat, not even with crossword puzzles)

What is the study of muscles?

Am I correct?

Ron
Old 11/15/2005, 12:14 PM
Clownfish Enthusiast

Ron, very close. It is the study of human movement. Kinesiology is a very Broad term encompassing many other biologies i.e. biomechanics, physiology, strength and conditioning, and physical education.

I like the idea of letting Coraline grow first but is it really necessary. I thought about maybe glueing the corals on, but its an acrylic tank so maybe not such a good idea. Maybe the old panty hose trick.

Yes Anothony I have your book and it talks about many techniques about attachment but I'm lazy and want the easy way.

Thanks for the help BTW