Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2005, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

Horizontal style overflows using siphon tube

Has anyone done Anthonys horizontal style overflow boxes like a standard Lifereef overflow box, with a siphon tube? I'd prefer not to drill so close to the edge on my aquarium, and like the height adjustment and levelling having this syle allows.

I would like to do two boxes spanning almost the entire back of the tank, tooth free of course.

Thanks,

Vit
Old 10/26/2005, 09:59 PM
Parapterois heterura

I'm only half-joking when I say that I will not sleep in a house that has a siphon overflow

Waaaaay too many fail in time. Many ways for them to fail.

Seriously - I'd rather see you not use an overflow (to sump, refugium, etc) at all... then have to siphon drive it.

I've just answered too many queries through the years on various message boards in addition to my personal experience as a merchant and in aquarium societies. Many sad stories of flood (even a couple fires).
Old 10/27/2005, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Anthony,

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it.

I wasn't aware siphon tubes were this prone to failure. I was under the impression they were mainly succeptible to clogging, and accumulating bubbles. With proper screening, and maintaining proper flow, I thought both issues could be successfully (safely that is) managed. I had a tank with 2 overflows for a couple of years, with no problems. I know thats pretty anecdotal, however.

Having read more threads on 'my tank cracked' than 'my siphon failed', maybe I'm more nervous about drilling close to the edge than I should be. In fairness, I dont remember a corelation in the 'tank cracked' threads with the cracks originating from drilled holes.

I used to be a glassblower, and have drilled through many, many inches of glass in my time and I am confident I can drill the holes by hand with as few possible microfractures. In industry they drill plate glass from both sides simultaneously, thus any chipout occurs within the hole. Maybe Ill make a jig, and drill halfway, then complete from the other side.

Have you ever seen a tank crack originate from a drilled hole well after the hole was drilled?

Thanks,

Vit
Old 10/27/2005, 01:05 PM
Parapterois heterura

the floor of a horizontal internal or external overflow reinforces the drilled wall stronger than it was undrilled and without the bracing. That perp. floor is a huge structural reinforcement! No worries... have a pro drill your tank and rest easy