Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/25/2005, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

Closed loop question

Trying to plumb a CLM here for my acrylic 75 using a sequence dart, and I have a question about the pipe diameter. I was going to use 1.5" pipe, which is the same size as the output on the dart, and use .75" nozzles. Then it occured to me that I might as well just use a .75" manifold, because if the water can only escape out of .75" nozzles, won't that put as much back pressure as having an entire .75" manifold? Should I got with a 1" manifold and 1" nozzles? I plan on having six nozzles.

This tank will pretty much just be a clam tank with some zoo colonies here and there, so no high flow SPS

Input\suggestions always appreciated!
Old 10/25/2005, 12:01 PM
Parapterois heterura

I believe the 3/4" manifold may well be waaaaaay too small. Too much friction and flow loss.

As per the more recent CLM threads in the stickied link atthe top of this forum... you will see many complaints about this.

I ran 1" on a Hammerhead and its waaaay too small (cavitation, flow loss, etc).

Stick with your original plan my friend. 1.5" manifold and 3/4" effluent tees. The flow will be diffused but greater (total).
Old 10/25/2005, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

Allright, thanks Makes it easier, I already bought all of the 1.5" plumbing!
Old 10/25/2005, 12:49 PM
Reef Fanatic

Just a note to add on here. You comment that:

"Then it occured to me that I might as well just use a .75 inch manifold, because if the water can only escape out of .75 inch nozzles, won't that put as much back pressure as having an entire .75 inch manifold?"

A point to remember is that you are not pushing the water out ONE 3/4" nozzle, but many. You will get much less back pressure because of the multiple openings.

However, if you restrict the manifold itself down to 3/4", then you are cutting the water off at the source. And that WILL create a lot more back pressure.

Hope that helps a little!

RK: Where only bad things happen fast...

CRAZY 4 the CRASE - Oct 13, 2007
Conf for Reef Aquarists and SW Enthusiasts
Google it - Search for: craseokc