Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/05/2005, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

220 gallon with hammerhead for Closed Loop

I have been reading through the closed loop threads stickied, but so far haven't found all the answers I am looking for (otherwise I wouldn't be posting) I have a 220 gallon that I drilled. I have a 2" bulkhead for my closed loop. I have a Sequence Hammerhead for the closed loop and I am wondering what diameter pipe to use going up to the manifold and if I should use the same diameter for the part of the manifold that actually sits on the rim of the tank. I am so far planning on using 20 nozzles, all of them being 1" lockline. If these questions has been answered in one of the stickied CL threads I apologize and would be very greatful if someone could link me to such a thread. Thanks!
Old 07/05/2005, 02:16 PM
Parapterois heterura

no worries

I am using the exact same pump on one of my tanks BTW (on a 120 with about a dozen 3/4" flowing tees)

For the pump... 1.5" pipe bare minimum on the draw and return up to the tank/manifold. Frankly... if you are willing to give up the space for 2" that might well be better.

As for having twenty 1" nozzles... I think you will be disappointed here. Those are large openings and to get adequate action from each one requires a lot of water indeed. Imagine if they were 1/2" powerhead spouts giving say 300-400 gall per hour each. 20 such powerheads in the tank would be giving 6000-8000 gph... but only out of 1/2" nozzles.

You want to push water though 1" nozzles, now (way more flow needed to get the same velocity) and yet your hammerhead cannot even deliver the 7000gph to drive twenty 1/2" nozzles.

The problem is not the pump here (a fine pump).

You simply have overestimated what this pump can do IMO.

Yet the nozzle count is quite fine. I do like anything close to an average of 1 nozzle per ten gallons of water. Even that's a compromise IMO. Can you imagine trying to provide perfect water flow for a thriving 10 gallon nano reef with only one water flow source!

no worries though... in larger tanks like yours the one per ten gallon guise is supported by the synergy so to speak of the many converging to produce better flow patterns.

Your solution: you need a second pump my friend to get the total volume of flow you need. I am presuming this will be a reef tank with stony corals, yes?
Old 07/05/2005, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

I appreciate your reply Anthony! I am using a mag 12 for my sump return as well, and was tossing around ideas as the best way to return that water to the tank (Sea Swirl, spray bar, another manifold,) any ideas on that would be great. I am setting up this tank for mainly LPS on the lower half of the tank, and some sps towards the top. What size nozzles woud you use, 3/4" or even 1/2"? I haven't even begun to build this manifold, so if you think I should add more nozzles, then by all means throw me a number! BTW I reallly appreciated you being at IMAC, you brightened up the whole conference, good to see a guy with a great sense of humor at the top of this hobby.
Old 07/05/2005, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

oops, forgot to mention that I'll probably go ahead and do the 2" for the manifold if that's what you recommend.
Old 07/06/2005, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

I'll patiently wait till Anthony comes back, but would also love some feedback from others as well if anyone has ideas.
Old 07/06/2005, 09:39 PM
Parapterois heterura

I'm considering on using 1.5" or 2" myself for the manifold as I think/been advised that it may dampen the sound *reduced friction). The trade off is that I have to give up a bit more room around the inside lip of the tank. No biggie though... well worth the increased water flow and reduced pump noise.

As for your specific case... there are several ways to go with it, but before you spend too much money or waste too much time, lets reduce some variables.

- it would be nice to have this tank run off of two pumps rather than one. This in case of a pump failure, the tank can carry on nicely for the days/weeks it takes to repair or replace a pump.

- if going for the two pumps... let me suggest you simply use your one Hammerhead to start with... and run it fully with 1.5 or 2" pipe... BUT, only drive one half of the tank manifold with it (we are experimenting here to see how much is enough). You can literally build a loop that runs a circuit covering one half of the display and to be separate from another pump/loop for the other side if needed).
~ with one pump running one loop that is half the tank with half the tees (put a dozen on this loop and cap a couple if need be)... you can get an idea if one pump is more than enough (and then replumb the cheap PVC frame)... or you will see as many of us suspect that this will be half the flow desired and another pump/loop is needed

- as for tees... I'd run at least 3/4" tees off the 1.5 or 2" manifold.

do keep us posted

and thank you for your very kind words re: IMAC!

Anthony
Old 07/06/2005, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the specifics Anthony, I do appreciate it. There will be a lot of experimenting done with the initial set up of the manifold and plumbing of the tank in general, should be a blast! (no pun intended) I will definitely keep you guys posted, I should recieve my custom built acrylic overflow (runs the entire length of the back wall of the tank) by the end of the week, can't wait to post some pics!
Old 07/07/2005, 01:03 AM
Premium Member

I had sold a Baraccuda to someone who did a closed loop on their tank with it. They had an intake of 1.5" and used holes drilled into pvc to allow flow. They also had a manifold using 1" pvc with 10 outlets or something like that.

When they first turned on the pump it made a fairly dramatic noise relative to sequence. the pump should be virtually silent and if not something is wrong. In this case, the pump was cavitating as it was starved for water. They substantially increased the ability for water to flow in and that stopped.

However, another problem showed up as the they were very disappointed in the output. A quick calculation using the RC calculator showed an output of about 1200 gph, a mere fraction of the pump rating. They increased the diamter of the manifold to 1.5"and saw almost a threefold increase (if memory serves me right on this) in the output.

The calculator is a great tool, take advantage of it to adjust different variables and see the potential consequences.

HTH

Kip
Old 07/07/2005, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

anthony can you look into my thread and give me some advice please!!!?

sorry for the breif hijack!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=625174