Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics

Old 06/09/2005, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Talking Jiddy has a question for Anthony

Whattup Anthony! Let me tell you who i am so you can better help me! Been FW keepin all my life and wanted to convert to the SW hobby. Had a 55g and wanted a bigger one, well in my metropolis of S.Dakota i seen a 90g in my paper, so i bought that one, then went on vacation and was waitin to get back to buy equipment, well i went to the pet store and to buy a stand and seen they had a 220 AGA for sale, so i bought that, its not drilled and its not an option, im to the flow part now, and seems to me you are an expert of sort on the subject. Im a little confused on the techinal terms, but i have read most of your threads, i was wondering if you could help me come up with a plan to create a CL system for this, i want to be able to keep SPS, but it will have softies and LPS mostly, with a medium bio-load. I currently have an Iwaki 40RLXT return pump and 2 Mag 12's to work with, hope you can help me!

Thanks in Advance

-Jiddy
Old 06/22/2005, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

Old 06/23/2005, 08:40 AM
Parapterois heterura

I'm about to fly to Chicago for IMAC... be back early next week. But I'm not sure what you are asking here, bro?

We have threads with folks that run CL manifolds in all combinations... drilled/undrilled... through-wall CL, submersible pump driven.

I may be too sleepy this morning... just not sure what kind of question/help you are asking for here.

Perhaps another trip to the perimeter loop CL sticky? Many useful threads listed there, my friend

Anthony
Old 06/24/2005, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for answering me, i have been lookin in all the old threads and have many ideas now. I just wanted your expert touch on something

I have a 6ft 220 AGA and have 2 Mag12's and a Iwaki 40XRLT, my question is, can i make 2 CL's systems on both sides of the tank with one ea. Mag, and then the center being taken care of my the sump return Iwaki?

-Jidz
Old 06/24/2005, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

I'm not Anthony but it seems from browsing the threads that you still may be on the low side of the flow issue

my 2.5g has 100x water turnover per hour, and it's doing far better than my 72g with about 10-15x

I would shoot for something in the 50x or more range

As far as running 2 loops, there is no reason that it can't be done
Old 06/27/2005, 07:40 PM
Parapterois heterura

ah, yes... I see. You can indeed use multiple pumps to boost/drive the manifold. Its rather a wash either way as to having separate pumps/loops or all driving one large one.

No worries
Old 06/27/2005, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Ok, well will 2 Mag12's and a Iwaki 40XRLT be enough flow for a 220? I would like to keep some SPS, but would it be enough?
Old 06/27/2005, 11:25 PM
Parapterois heterura

its hard to say without knowing exactly what you will be keeping. Even in the category of "sps" corals... there is a huge(!) difference in water flow needs between montipora digitata and Stylophora pistillata, eg.

To buy/build water flow, lights, etc. before making a very specific list of species to be kept is a common mistake.

That all said... the three pumps you named sound to me at a glance like around 3000 gph after some plumbing resistance.

If that's so... its not even remotely enough for most corals you will want to keep. It would give you only 8 modest tees on a manifold: about half or less than the average needed.

20-30X turnover is a decent goal/start indeed... even more please if you want Acroporids and the like
Old 07/12/2005, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

***THIS JUST IN***

Went to HW store and picked up the 1 1/2 PVC for my CL Manifolds. Both will be powered by their own Mag 12, here is some pics of my idea

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...?t=8244&page=5

Can you check out the PVC CL picture and tell me what you think, i cant get them to upload here

-Jidz
Old 07/12/2005, 04:50 PM
Parapterois heterura

A few questions, Jiddy:

is each of these four outlet loops being driven solely by a mag 12 submerged inside the tank?

Is the Iwaki separate from either loop?

Are both loops themselves being plumbed separately?
Old 07/12/2005, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for looking Anthony

The four outlet loops will just be the "sprayers", all pointed in differant directsions, and the mag 12 will be on the outside of the tank, the picture of the PVC overhang will actually be where the drilled PVC will feed the MAG from the outside

The Iwaki is separate and will take care of the middle section of the tank

and both loops on both sides will have their own Mag12, so it will be MAG 12 with 4 outlets, Iwaki in the middle, and Mag12 with four outlets again.

Thanks for looking and any help would be great!

-Jidz
Old 07/12/2005, 06:38 PM
Parapterois heterura

the manifold size/layout (plumbing) is fine then... although part of me still wonders/feels this would all be best done of the loop were shared/continuous... and if the Iwaki was added to the mix to drive all. More outlets could be added this way. [my recommendation]

As it stands now... one MAG12 on a 4 outlet loop will not be that impressive (flow per tee). The manifold size is fine... just worried here about the pump(s) driving it.

You will see soon enough/experimenting.
Old 07/12/2005, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

How big of a pump do you rec for a 4 outlet?
Old 07/12/2005, 07:46 PM
Parapterois heterura

as per the CL manifold list of links/threads... its case by case bro. Its impossible to say without knowing the size of the effluents, size of the manifold, number of tees, length or pipe run/friction, etc.

We cannot say X outlets = X pump

Do your own math my friend and round up to be safe.
Old 07/12/2005, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Sweet, thanks for all the hiz-elp A Calfo!
Old 07/12/2005, 09:58 PM
Parapterois heterura

Fa-shizzle, J-izzle
Old 07/18/2005, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

I have now built my manifold and was curious if i could use a flexible hose from my manifold to the pump? or should i stick with PVC?

TIA Jidz
Old 07/18/2005, 03:41 PM
Parapterois heterura

flexible is OK, my friend... it may even be better as it tends to reduce friction and head loss for its soft bends (versus hard angles of PVC pipe)
Old 07/18/2005, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Thats what i wanted to hear, thanks~!
Old 07/21/2005, 03:24 AM
Registered Member

What is the ideal amout of GPH per outlet?
Old 07/21/2005, 03:24 PM
Parapterois heterura

it depends on tee size (opening), needs of the corals, distance from the corals, desired effect with convergence (or not) on other effluent paths. Itys all experimental and case by case.

That said... try to get 400-600gph out of larger tees (3/4" - 1"/25mm). If you are using smaller tees (1/2" 12 mm) then 300-400 gph may be OK