Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics

Old 06/18/2005, 11:14 PM
Clownfish Enthusiast

manifold for Bowfront?

anyone have any experience with a manifold for a 54 bow front?
Also, I am currently using a mag 9 and I doubt that would be enough flow to pump thru the manifold and get a decent water flow. any ideas as what pump would be best and least heat and noise to entire system?
thanks
Old 06/18/2005, 11:43 PM
TRC Leader

OMG Don't use a Mag 9.5. I just had to deal with my second one dying in this application. If you can do it, go all out to a higher end external pump. You will not regret it.

I've also seen first hand a 46 bow with a manifold. Along the back and part of the side rigid PVC was used, but along the bow flexible PVC was used. They were very happy with it.
Old 06/19/2005, 12:40 AM
Parapterois heterura

and if the tank is drilled for a sump, just run a modest amount of water flow through a sump loop (say 5-10X turnover)... then do the balance of the tanks desired turnover (another 10-30X say) through a closed loop from the display itself (intake from drilled bulkhead in the display separate from the overflow weir)
Old 06/19/2005, 05:32 PM
Clownfish Enthusiast

ok, let me give you the details (and maybe I should read up a little more on manifolds. I had a drilled 54 bf, with a 18 gal high sump with a aqua c urchin and mag 9 in the sump. I would like to continue to use a submerisble pump that would fit into my sump because with a BF stand you don't have much room. Please recommend a pump (internal or external) also if you have any pics of a BF manifold I would love to see it.

What size should the teets be? I'm affraid that the manifold will cause my anenomes to move to cause havic.

Anthony not sure what you mean

"then do the balance of the tanks desired turnover (another 10-30X say) through a closed loop from the display itself (intake from drilled bulkhead in the display separate from the overflow weir)"

thanks
Old 06/19/2005, 11:45 PM
Parapterois heterura

not much to worry on the anemone... its usually a lack of flow that causes the moving.

As for my meaning... if this tank is to have, say, a hearty 2000 gph total turnover per hour... you would not want to run all of that through your "overflow to sump back to display" loop. It would be too noisy, turbulent and likely give problems with microbubbles.

instead, run a modest amount of flow through a sump loop (say 500-700 gph) and then produce the balance in a closed loop on the display proper, as with a perimeter closed loop manifold.
Old 06/20/2005, 02:23 PM
Clownfish Enthusiast

OK, I think I'm beginning to understand, I run two drains?

1 water of (aprox 500-700 pgh) drains into my overflow and into the sump, using my current standpipe?

2 the second drain (now my safety drain in case of power outage) would be used to drain water (also located in the overflow area) but in a closed loop, run next to a external pump and then back into the display?

My next question(s) are

If I don't drain all the water thru the sump then how do I drain it into the closed loop (my thinking is that I must pull the water out of the sump for the closed loop or the normal output)

Water happens if I have a power outage? I have both my overflow pipes currently being used as drains into sump, one as a primary drain and the other as a safety. If I include a manifold would I then be at risk for a flood?

Sorry for silly questions ( i swear I read many threads and couldn't find or understand these answers)
thanks
Old 06/20/2005, 02:36 PM
Parapterois heterura

you are close to getting it mate.

You have the paths understood... but not the principal.

The second "drain" is not a drain at all. It is simply the feed for the pump. Since this pump returns the water back into the tank that it is taking water from... it is not going to "lose" water in the event of a poweroutage. It is simply a closed loop. No different that having a powerhead sitting in the tank. Except in this case... instead of the pump sitting in the tank... it is sitting outside of it and plumbed inline.

Only the water overflowing your wier to the sump is actually leaving the tank.
Old 06/21/2005, 08:13 AM
Clownfish Enthusiast

so the second "drain" would be a stand pipe that would flow directly into a closed loop manifold. I guess I'm confused. The second drain feeds the manifold, OK but how, do i just leave it open as a standpipe in the overflow? I guess my question is how is the manifold fed if not thru the sump, and if it isn't fed thru the sump then how is it fed thru this second drain. I' ve tried to find some pics but no luck. I'm a visual learner
Old 06/21/2005, 09:34 AM
Professional Aquarist

Take a look at this link,
http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html
It should help you visualize what Anthony is describing.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007