Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/11/2005, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Modern Series Canopy User? Good for MH ? H E L P

Hi..I am planning out my next reef tank.
I want the AGA Megaflow 75 aquarium and the matching Modern series cherry stand and canopy.

My questions:

1. Is the canopy big enough and tall enough to accomodate 46.5" or 48" Dual Metal Halide retrofit setup from Hellolights.com ?

2. Is the distance from the water surface to the canopy enough to accomodate Metal Halides? and....Isn't there a "Splash" risk (i plan to go with no glass cover)

3. If the AGA canopy is a problem....can i just use the Megaflow tank on "standard" aquarium stand and canopy that i can buy locally?

thanks
gooliver
Old 03/11/2005, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-03/totm/index.htm

Check out this "Tank of the Month" in reefkeeping magazine ... I beleive he has a 90 gallon like you are questioning ...

The only problem you would have to worry about with a standard stand and canopy is where the overflow goes through the stand and make sure it can clear. I beleive if that the stands are standard and are all made to clear the pipe.

If not your probably better off trying to find a local wood shop that can build you a custom one from scratch.

Len

Last edited by lactrain; 03/11/2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03/12/2005, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

bump
Old 03/12/2005, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

I think the answer is "NO"
Old 03/12/2005, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

thanks everyone
Old 03/12/2005, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

lol .... everyone! ....your funny! .... just me sorry.

check out my gallery ... I too was a big fan of the modern series cherry stand from AGA but figured it would be better that I build one myself .... so i built one as close to theirs as possible...

Sorry NO probably wasnt the answer you wanted to hear ... but you may be able to get away with T5's ... Did you see the tank of the month on the home page and the success that person has had with T5's and his Acroporas's ... Just a thought

Len
Old 03/12/2005, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

gooliver, check out my gallery. I built halides into my modern series canopy, it is over a 120. In fact, there are also 4 actinics in there also. You might be able to fit two in your with the halides hanging as I have them.
Old 03/12/2005, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

ok...getting conflicting reports now...
no T5 for me...i want HALIDES
Old 03/12/2005, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

what about the 120g model? same problem with the canopy there too?
Old 03/13/2005, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

I beleive so .... I got Aquactinics light fixture that emits no heat ... it allows you to sit the canopy directly on top of the tank .... its deminsions are exact meaning you buy a 48" fixture it is exactly the demension as the top of the tank I am not positively sure but I think by simply removing the top the modern series canopy you could possibly sit this fixture right inside it ... similiar to mine.

This may be an option..... ww.Aquactinics.com is a vendor here and has a forum in the forums section the owners name is Tom ask him he may be able to give you some insight .... measure the canopy and see if you can get it to fit.

Len

Old 03/13/2005, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

would it be diffcult to match a canopy for the aga cherry stand?
Old 03/13/2005, 01:15 PM
~~~Big O~~~

modern series is so damn expensive ---the guy quoted me $600 for a 90 gallon. I had my heart set on the cherry sedona until I saw it in his store-- he said its the cheaper wood. Looked flimsy to me. I was liking bluereefaquatics-- check that site out-- and another site like that has even nicer stands and canopies I think the 90 g set up is $450 total if your interested. I do like the modern series though--where were you buying it? price?
Old 03/13/2005, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

im getting a quote from a local lfs called neptune's reef
Old 03/13/2005, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

here's a thought...if i run it with no canopy....what is the downside?
Old 03/16/2005, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

i think a "fat" looking canopy is quite ugly...(no offense)
Can someone show me a phone of the lowest profile canopy that can house halides?
Old 03/16/2005, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Will that aquatronics fit inside the modern canopy?
Old 03/16/2005, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

It's Aquactinics ... I dont htink it will fit inside ... But i cant see why the top of it couldnt be bodified to fit the fixture .... similiar to the way mines is pictured in the photo.

Its best to have an open top on a reef ... IMO ... It aids in evaporation allowing your tank to cool efficiently ...

Len
Old 03/17/2005, 06:08 AM
RC Sponsor

Measure the distance from the top of your tank to the top of the inside of your canopy. Aquactinics fixtures are 5 1/2" high and really don't need any headroom at all. Length wise they will fit inside most if not all AGA and Oceanic canopies. I don't know about modern series canopies, but some have a distance of 5" high inside. In this can, you can raise the fixture 1/2" - 3/4" up by screwing blocks inside to lift it. One other modification that would need to be done are add vent holes on either end of the canopy. This allow the proper airflow through the fixture, helping the whole system to stay cool.

gooliver,
Or as you mentioned before, you could run your tank with no canopy at all.

Thank you,

Tom
Aquactinics
Old 03/17/2005, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

In order to access the bottom of inside of the tank to clean the glass, i assume it is better to have a canopy that the front lifts up completely and folds back..right?