Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/23/2005, 03:05 PM

Question Manifold on top of bracing?

Hi Anthony,

I'm getting ready to build a manifold for my 180g FOWLR. It will be on a closed loop powered by an Ampmaster 3000 (3600gph). The output is 1.5" and I was planning on keeping it 1.5" until I got to the top of the tank and then dropping down to 3/4" for the manifold. This size pipe is the largest I can go without actually seeing it. Now I am thinking dropping the size that small for the entire perimeter might not be a good thing. I could be wrong though

Any thoughts?

I was also considering running the manifold on top of my eurobrace. I would keep it 1.5" and use reducing tees for the outputs...probably 1" or 3/4" outputs.

Thanks in advance,

billpa
Old 02/24/2005, 06:37 AM

ttt...anyone?
Old 02/24/2005, 07:35 AM
Parapterois heterura

you certainly could use 1/2" pipe topside if you want more velocity from effluents, or simply more effluents/tees
Old 02/24/2005, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the input Anthony

I didn't mean 1/2" pipe, I meant 1.5" pipe. I thought it would be better if I kept the pipe diameter as wide as I could around the perimeter and then use reducing tees (ie. 1.5"x1.5"x3/4") for the outputs. But I think I am going to stick with my original plan of 3/4" perimeter under the bracing...then add loc-line to all the outputs to make it adjustable.

Does anyone know how locline connects to pvc? I have seen the male thread adapters but I was curious if it slip fits into pvc. I have never used loc-line so I dont know how it works.

Thanks!

billpa
Old 02/24/2005, 08:27 AM
Parapterois heterura

you've misunderstood mate (I was not clear, my apologies)... I did mean at the point of reduction (tees).

So instead of going from 1.5" down to only 3/4" (tees), the final reduction is to 1/2"

As for the articulated pipe... it very friendly/easy. There a wide range of adapters such as the threaded ones.
Old 02/24/2005, 09:19 AM

Oh....my bad I gotcha. Would you recommend one over the other? I was under the impression that the more I keep my pump (Ampmaster) at 1.5" output, the better. If I drop down to 3/4" for the entire manifold, will I be sacrificing volume for velocity? Thanks for all the help Anthony. I will make sure to take a ton of pictures so the next guy, or bloke as you put it , will have a better understanding. I have read all there is on RC about manifolds...there are a few threads with photos that have helped out tremendously but they are few and far between.

Thanks

billpa
Old 02/24/2005, 02:51 PM
Parapterois heterura

yes... sacrificing volume for velocity, the former being very fine to have (diffused) so long as the total turnover is rather massive. Most folks don't have/use pumps big enough for a diffused manifold with 3/4" or larger tees...

but no worries... you can always buy a handful of reducer fittings to step down from 3/4 to 1/2" if you don't like the results. Much easier than routing out a 1/2" tee to step back up

and big thanks for posting pics! It will be appreciated by many. Thanks kindly
Old 02/24/2005, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

billpa,

I have found that if you bring the 1.5" up to the manifold you get a much more consistant flow from your outlets. In my case I brought 1" PVC up to the manifold inlet tee then reduced the inlet tee to 1/2" for the manifold its self.

Jason
Old 02/24/2005, 08:34 PM

thanks Jason!

bill