Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 01/07/2008, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

Noisiest overflow EVER!! HELP!!

Ok I got this idea here on RC, looked like a dang sweet idea! I tried longer pipe, shorter pipe, bigger holes smaller holes, more holes less holes etc.....nothing helped. It is constantly making crazy gurgeling noises.

please help.....

3/4 bulkhead, 3/4 pipe....

Old 01/08/2008, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

what would be the best (quietest) overflow for having only the back of the tank drilled with 3/4 bulkhead?
Old 01/08/2008, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Do you have a tee setup on the outside of the tank with a cap and a hole drilled above water level?
Old 01/08/2008, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

I read that original thread and I can't really remember for sure, but I think they were able to get it run quieter by twisting the pipe with the holes up more toward the surface. Dang it!! Now I gotta go back and read that thread again.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

If the pipe is brand new, it has to develop a slime coat before it will quiet down...

1-75g FW Planted
1-55g African Cichlid
1-125g w/ 4 turts
1-75g RR Reef
1-12g NC Mantis, 1-12g AP Brittle Star
2-cats
2-dogs (1 Catahoula Leopard Mix & 1 Shepherd Mix)
Old 01/08/2008, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

i started with two rows of holes they all got covered with water, so i went wit a third row and they are on top and cannot be seen, you can see however the little funnel being sucked into the first top hole...

no I do not have a "T" is that my problem??
Old 01/08/2008, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

yes brand new pipe....
Old 01/08/2008, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

Hmmmmmm......just went back and reread it and I guess I was wrong. The twisting of the pipe is to adjust the water level, not to make it quieter. Even though, you might try it, just to see if it helps any.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

yeah i have tried all 360 possible degrees doesnt help! I think I am gonna try that "T" thing tomorrow and see if that helps
Old 01/08/2008, 12:50 AM
Generic Member

Is there an air vent T on the back side?
Old 01/08/2008, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

no i guess i need to do that, i hope it helps!
Old 01/08/2008, 12:53 AM
Generic Member

I would think that is your problem. Without that, it has to pull air from the overflow itself.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

You need a tee on the outside with an end pointing straight up. extend the "up" end to above tank water level. glue on a cap that you drill a small hole in. Start with an 1/8 inch hole and be prepared to drill bigger and bigger. Might be 1/4 or more depending on flow you have through drain. Do a search on durso's, that is what you are building.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

Also, it seems that the flow is too high for what you currently have designed there. Water shouldn't be over the pipe completely.

Once you put a proper vented durso in the back, this problem may just correct itself though.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:42 AM
Can't be listed on **

Part of your problem is that your pipe will not handle the flow you are wanting to put into it. If all of the holes are under water it is to much flow. You can't quite it down if you are trying to flow more than the plumbing can handle in a non-siphon setup.

Kim
Old 01/08/2008, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

If you are having slurping sounds, you must have a "Tee" fitting to replace the elbow you have connected to the back of your bulkhead.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:15 AM
Phyto tank master

He just have too much flow, 3/4" pvc draín can't handle more than 200gph..

1 pep. shrimp, 10 nas, 1 astrea , 1 cerrith snails

Some softys

PH 8.1, Alk 11, NH3/4, NO2, NO3 0, Temp 77-79F, SG 1.025
Old 01/08/2008, 03:37 AM
Registered Member

thanks for the responses, I am gonna go buy a "T" first thing in the morning and check it out.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

Here's a pic of my drain with T as they are describing, very similar drain to what you have. I will say that mine even with the T is a lot noisier than I would have hoped for. Mine is 2in drain cage, reduced to a 1.5in elbow at the bulkhead then 1.5in to the sump.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

the flow has to be reduceded inside the tube aswell...for the 3/4" bulkhead you should have a 1" pipe in the tank....the bottleneck will slow the flow down and really help to reduce noise...then you need the durso to purge the pipe of air so it cant create a rolling siphon...if the hole is too small the pipe will siphon and you will either get flushing or whistling...if the hole is too big the tank will over flow...

as mentioned above you will have trouble pushing too much water through a 3/4" bulkhead...especially if you going for a gravity drained tank...with a semi-siphon you should be able to get about 300 or so GPH though...under a full siphon i would think you could do about 500 or so gph..though...

i used to have a 3/4" drain with a mag9 and though my overflow box was a little shallow i found the pump wasnt able to keep up with a full siphon and it would suck air for a second break siphon then flood my tank...strangely enough your wife will not appreciate that...
Old 01/08/2008, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

ok so i put the "T" in it, the gurgling is gone, well let me step back a bit....

started with 1/16 hole eventually pipe started sucking

next 2 "1/16" holes still pipe sucks

3- 1/16 holes pipe sucked after a min or so,

still the water level I am uncomfortable with how high it is and from what i read the more holes or the bigger the hole the "fuller" the tank will be, so how can i lower the water level?

Do i need to get a 1 inch pipe draining in the tank?? will that help??
Old 01/08/2008, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daemonfly
Also, it seems that the flow is too high for what you currently have designed there. Water shouldn't be over the pipe completely.

Once you put a proper vented durso in the back, this problem may just correct itself though.
I agree. The cross-sectional area of all those holes in the pipe is clearly much, much greater than that of the 3/4" bulkhead - yet the pipe is still under water. Vent or no vent, you either have to increase the size of the bulkhead, add a second bulkhead, or cut down on the flow rate of your return pump (probably by 1/2).
Old 01/08/2008, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

To prevent clogs I would say go up 1 inch. Increasing hole size in cap will NOT raise level in tank. The height of water in the tank is controlled by your pump. It might be oversize and need to be valved back. If done over again I would go at least 1 inch bulkhead but you have what you have. You have plenty of holes drilled in your pvc inside the tank, the only restriction is the 3/4 inch pvc.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by redfrogtango
the pipe is still under water. Vent or no vent, you either have to increase the size of the bulkhead, add a second bulkhead, or cut down on the flow rate of your return pump (probably by 1/2).
With out a vent this set up will "wait" to flow until a true siphon starts. Then when it did form siphon it sucks air in and breaks siphon keeping level at and above the drain holes. With a vent the drain starts sooner and stays consistent. He has had this running without an overflow therefore the pump might not be to to strong. I do agree though lower flow would make a quieter set up either way.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by redfrogtango
I agree. The cross-sectional area of all those holes in the pipe is clearly much, much greater than that of the 3/4" bulkhead - yet the pipe is still under water. Vent or no vent, you either have to increase the size of the bulkhead, add a second bulkhead, or cut down on the flow rate of your return pump (probably by 1/2).
I should clarify. The fact that the pipe is completely underwater suggests to me that you are relying on at least some head pressure, generated by the water height of the tank above the bulkhead fitting, to help force water through the bulkhead fitting. I suspect that you will get a quiter flow (particularly with the vent) if you dial back your pump a bit. My suggestion to cut it by 1/2 was probably an exageration.