Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 11:09 AM

You can't live in Venice wiithout going to Great Western Steak & Hogie...that would be sacreligious!
Old 12/27/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

xQXXXXXXXX
Old 12/27/2007, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

i did give an update just a couple of days ago. please don't ask. this has been in the works for almost two years. i will post when i have something to post. PLEASE DON'T ASK.

THIS IS ONE OF MY PET PEEVES. EVERYONE SUBSCRIBED TO THE THREAD GETS AN EMAIL WHICH ONLY SAYS, "ANY UPDATES?" PLEASE DON'T ASK. IT MAKES ME CRANKY AND RELUCTANT TO POST AT ALL.

i hesitated to even start a thread here on Reef Central because of this.

i need criticism and ideas about the tank build, i certainly don't have it all worked out yet.

Please participate in the dialog.

here is the UPDATE for today.

we may finish the closed loop plumbing today. then i will put some water in the tank and see if it leaks. all the closed loops plumbing is in the bottom of the tank.

when i have some pictures i will post those too!

the sump is under the tank and will not be worked on at all for several more months.
Old 12/27/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

I love the use of natural light. I know you posted par #s, but I would like to see some # when you have your tank up and running. Great work man this will be one impressive setup.
Old 12/27/2007, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

finally got some plumbing done on the closed loops. tomorrow the fresh water test.
under the tank is a sheet of 3/4" plywood with waterproofing on it and 1" foam over the plywood that the tank rests on.

Photobucket

two oceansmotions.com 4 ways hooked to two Sequence Hammerhead pumps should deliver close to 6000 gallons each.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

this can deliver random flow or i have been reading about a more laminar type of flow as in a gyre. you can read about it here.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

much of the flow in our tanks cancels the flow from other directions. it may be random but it may not be moving bulk water either.

with the four ways i can experiment with having all the heads compliment or collide with each other.

this is the inside of the garage under the tank. we must put doors on the openings that have a fire rating to separate the garage from the house. building code.
Photobucket

Carl
Old 12/27/2007, 06:29 PM

Very interesting install Carl. Are you going to have a sand bed?
Old 12/27/2007, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

the foam piece under the tank on the bookcase if for my bed when the wife gets fed up with me, (fish, fish, fish, coral, coral, coral). Actually she is very supportive most of the time.

each piece of equipment, pumps, 4 ways can be isolated and removed from the system for repair or replacement.

we have a spare pump if needed.

this is the 1200 gallon NSW storage tank for the front yard.
Photobucket

Photobucket

it will be connected to the sump room via some 1 1/2" pipe we laid in while the foundation was being done last feb.
Old 12/27/2007, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

DSB for sure. sugar fine sand mostly with a little larger grain sizes mixed in as a small %.

i said that in all the verbage somewhere at the beginning. it will be just live rock and dead sand for a few months until the sand is alive. i will seed it from my present tanks.

it is recommended to really let the tank mature for a year without any corals or fish. i don't think i can wait quite that long but i am patient. i started planing this almost two years ago. i got the tank in March i think it was and i still don't have water in it.

i can be patient to do it right. a have a few other tanks with about 1,400 gallons right now to keep me busy. 800 gallons is only two tanks of 400 gallons with live rock.

Photobucket

well established live rock

Photobucket

Photobucket

the sand bed is teaming with brislte worms, fan worms, mysis, copepods, amphipods et al. that will go in the new tank to seed the sand bed. no need to buy stuff.
Photobucket

Carl

Last edited by Reefski's; 12/27/2007 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12/27/2007, 06:59 PM

Nice. I definitely have storage tank envy! That 1200g job is sweet.

The reason why I asked about the sand bed is that I have been reading a lot of posts about the 4-ways getting screwed up from sand, and that OM has a drum that is slightly smaller and less likely to jamb.

Looks like you are doing one of those leave one wall remodels eh?
Old 12/27/2007, 07:03 PM

Those earthquake straps crack me up. I remember when they installed them on my house in BH...we had to have a bunch of guys go under the house and strap it down to the foundation...like that's going to help.
Old 12/27/2007, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

i should check out the 4 way things before water. i definitely have the old ones as i bought them over a year ago.

yes, we left the chimney and perimeter foundation. now it is a remodel instead of a new house. makes a huge difference with the property taxes. especially since i inherited the prop 13 savings from my folks who built the house in 1953. taxes before remodel were $1,100 dollars per year. of course they will go up but not to where they would be were i to just buy this house today.

the downside is i will die here just like they did. or maybe that is the upside.

we did decide to do the remodel while still young enough to enjoy it for years to come, hopefully, one never knows of course.

i will likely have to work the rest of my life now. the alternative was we could have sold it all and moved to maine where my inlaws would give us 5 acres of their 100+. we could build a nice house and probably live off the income from our savings. however i would be in Maine. it is cold in Maine and i don't know anybody but them. nothing personal against Mainiacs.

i like the cold and snow only long enough to going skiing whenever i can.

after all i have lived here all my life, i can't leave now, although Costa Rica looks pretty good some days.

Carl
Old 12/27/2007, 07:30 PM

Well, regardless you made the right choice for that property right now. You will add so much value to it and Venice is a neat place to live as long as you have secure parking.

I don't think I could live in Maine myself. My parents offered to buy me a bank in North Carolina and after two visits, there was no way in hell I would ever move there. What a miserable existance...all their friends sold their places in CT for huge money and built mini-mansions on the water in NC. I can't stand the place. Deer flies, water moccasins, huge storms, heat beyond belief, and near total isolation living in special gated communities surrounded by tobbacco shacks. And seriously Maine? Talk about lack of diversity. Ain't nothing but whitey as far as the eyes can see!

Costa Rica does look nice!
Old 12/27/2007, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

i'm with you there about the diversity. i love LA. my father in-law literally didn't see a black person in person or any person of color until he joined the navy. Maine is still very, very white and it's not just the snow.

my new house is mostly being built by Hispanic tradesmen. Mexican, el Salvador, Chile, Guatemala, and others. great workers, skilled and very hard workers. i bought Tito's for all for lunch today. best fast food in LA.

Carlos
Old 12/27/2007, 08:23 PM

mmmmm....I remember Titos! Great food there.

I had a suite-mate in college from Maine and one of the guys in the gym was black. My suite mate confessed one night that he had never seen a black guy before. I was floored to say the least.

The Hispanic guys are really good with tile work too. It's part of their culture. I wish we had them up here. It costs a fortune to get tile done and it's always wrong.

You got a roof-top patio on that bad boy?
Old 12/27/2007, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

you can see the roof deck behind the open skylight picture taken from on the roof. when the skylight is open i will be able to stand on the deck and look down into the tank.

the tile guy is el Salvadoran and doing a great job. one guy. five bathrooms.
Photobucket
Old 12/27/2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Nice ..real Nice..

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 12/27/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

G'day Carl,

I just found your thread from the link, thanks for that.

I've just caught up on your thread, Wow talk about going the whole hog I love the idea of skylights. My current tank is set up in front of a window and gets natural light all day

Looking forward to seeing this progress along, and don't worry I won't bump your thread, I hate that too

Cheers

Chris
Old 12/28/2007, 12:03 AM

That is one crazy shower dude...not the ideal hangover surrounds! I would definitely hurl in there. That roof deck will be supreme. The view will be fabulous with an added bonus of a reef!
Old 12/28/2007, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
That is one crazy shower dude...not the ideal hangover surrounds! I would definitely hurl in there.
Now your just wasting good lawn fertilizer
Old 12/28/2007, 11:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
I don't think I could live in Maine myself. My parents offered to buy me a bank in North Carolina.....
Wow, that is quite a statement to sneak into this thread! LOL!

Last edited by CW from the OC; 12/28/2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CW from the OC
Wow, that is quite a statement to sneak this thread! LOL!
I am a little dense this morning. What do you mean by that?
Old 12/28/2007, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

"My parents offered to buy me a bank"

That is not like offering to buy you a cup of coffee. To me, buying someone, anyone, even your son, a BANK, is a VERY BIG DEAL, LOL!!!

Sort of like casually mentioning "My parents offered to buy me the NY Yankees...."

Sorry everyone for derailing the thread.
Old 12/28/2007, 01:21 PM

Oh sorry, I get it now. No, they just had some misguided idea that they cold lure my family to North Carolina. They have a lot of money, and occassionally try to use it against me. I'd rather be poor than live there. And that's why Kalifornia has so many people living in self-imposed poverty!

Banks aren't that big of a deal BTW. It's a mystery to most people but they are businesses just like any other. Anyone can start a bank with ingenuity and the right set of partners. A friend of theirs started a bank in the SF Bay Area some 15+ years ago and it's now a big company.
Old 12/28/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

how much for the house when your done? I want to buy it.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful..... one thing I highly reccomend is that you do not add any mushrroms to this tank. Unlike zoo's even if you isolate them to there own island they will pop off and float around the tank until they attach somewhere else and net thing you know is that there EVERYWHERE