Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Illinois Marine Aquarists (CIMA)

Old 12/14/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Springfield Decatur Area Reef Club (sdarc)

The ideal of springfield decatur area having its own club has been tossed around in a few forums. if you are interested in joining please PM I will fill you in on how you can help make this happen, I have a place where we can gather online to help form a club forum base. 2 more ppl is all it will take to get Springfield Decatur Area Reef Club off the ground !! we will have a meet sometime in jan 08 I will post a date on that after the holidays.

Thanks John .

if WE build it they will come................
Old 12/17/2007, 11:34 AM
Joliet Area Reef Club

there is already a springfield club: http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumd...s=&forumid=536

Old 12/17/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

cima?? there not really in spfld or very active, I did see a springfield club on here started replying in there before I realized it was spfld MO!! if I missed one please send me a direct link.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:50 AM
Joliet Area Reef Club

ah, must have been the springfield mo one. sorry!

Old 12/17/2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

no problem, would be sweet though!!
Old 12/17/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Rather than setting up a separate club, why don't you consider talking to an existing club about setting up "satellite" meetings in the Springfield/Decatur area?

Perhaps the combined group could meet a few times a year (frag swaps, major speakers, etc.) with these "satellite" meetings being held in local areas (C-U, B-N, Springfield, Decatur, Peoria). If a person only wanted to go to local meetings, there would be some for them. If they wanted to travel occasionally for bigger events, they could attend "all-club" functions.

IMO, the Central IL area would be well served with one club that has local presence in several cities. It seems that BNARC currently has good membership/participation/infrastructure and would be the logical choice to serve as the starting point for something like this. Disclaimer: I'm not a BNARC member, nor do I know much about their club other than what I see here and on their website.

Just my $.02...
Old 12/17/2007, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

Your ideas are ideal; however, there's quite a bit of beef between BNARC and CIMA. CIMA was formerly the only Central IL club, and then there was a split that hasn't neccessarily mended to this point.

We're working on starting up a new club in the Springfield-Decatur area and getting a forum up on RC. Our hopes are to work with both BNARC and CIMA, and eventually having all 3 clubs work together.

Until CIMA gets moving strong again, BNARC and SDIRB are working together as "sister" groups (provided that SDIRB gets moving and gains some members in the near future)

We're excited to see if it takes off.

See our current forum

external links like this are a bit of bad form don't you think?

Last edited by mhurley; 12/19/2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

I'm well aware of the CIMA/BNARC issue. However, there isn't much to CIMA these days, and I don't think you'd find much resistance to the concept of a combined club as many of the CIMA members have migrated to BNARC already.

I just think trying to manage 2-3 separate clubs in this area is a lot of extra work, that's all. Hope it goes well for you.
Old 12/17/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

I kinda agree with oncampus. I just dont see CIMA making a complete recovery. Whatever you decide to do I wish ya luck.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:16 PM
Why do I live in IL?

Guys, the beef you speak of is hardly much of any beef at all these days. Yes there were a few of us who didnt get along, but for the most part, the parties involved are no longer active. Honestly I think everyone has pretty much just moved on.

As far as you guys making your own club, or resurecting CIMA. We wish you all the luck in the world. That being said, BNARC would also happily take you as members of our club. Yes, most of our meetings are semi local to B/N as of late, but that could change. If you want to host a meeting in Springfield that would be acceptable. You may not get a HUGE showing, but atleast you would have the support of our membership and our BOD to help you along. Also it may not be such a bad thing to have a meeting with less than 50 people lol!!!!! Either way guys, we wish you luck.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Horace. Thanks to everyone else as well.

The idea of three clubs is probably a lot of work, but most of the Springfield folks involved are willing to put some time in (at least initially). If nothing else, at least a small group of us will get to know each other and have a better possibility of a car pool to BNARC meetings.

Time will tell.

I am a non-paying member of BNARC, but I've actually considering paying to be a BNARC member as well as helping get the Springfield club off the ground.

It never hurts to have too many reefer friends around.

Horace, if things don't pan out as planned, I'm sure someone around here would love to host a BNARC meeting.

We'll be in touch.
Old 12/18/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

CIMA will be back- it is in discussion now. I will respectfully request at this point that this forum be used for CIMA related subjects. It is not the place for discussions of other clubs- they have their own forums. I am always willing to help out new clubs- and always will be-but once formed they need to leave the nest.
Old 12/18/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

They are just trying to get everyone and every club in the area to work together to better the hobby and our enjoyment of it. No one is trying to do anything bad here, but you have an understandable point. A club should advertise itself in its own forum, but there is no harm in trying to get clubs to come together.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

Hey SYRINX. Are you a member of CIMA? I joined over a year ago and they havent done ANYTHING in that year.. Not one thing. No meetings, no emails... NOTHING.. Now that someone tries to get something together for people around here since CIMA does nothing, CIMA is in discussion to be something? Why would they wait till someone else tries to set up something for locals to share in the hobby? I doubt CIMA will be back for more than anything other than posters to a forum. If there is discussions, are they going to include all members in these discussions? Id like to know whats going on. Also, there is no forum for the club they are trying to form so they have cant post on one. I think they are trying to target the people they hope will be interested and those are the people that joined CIMA with hopes of being in a club.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

I can only speak for myself, when I posted this we didnt have a forum we do NOW! so we wont post on your clubs forums any more. We are not trying to take members from ANY club we simply are opening a club so that people in our area have a place to hang out, post, & plan meets. I hope the best to CIMA, 6 months back I joined the CIMA forum, Started several threads and never got any replys that was then...... this is now. Now we are trying to form something a little closer to home for us. Please do all you can to get the club that is based out of your area back up to par so that we do something together atleast a meet with a swap between clubs. Good Luck to You, anything I can do for you let me know.

If you choose to support us like (SDIRB) Springfield Decatur Illinois Reef Builders would CIMA that would be great! Pm Myself or dcombs44 if we can help CIMA in anyway.

John
Old 12/19/2007, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

Lowe- I know that you have read all my posts and have seen I support you 100% I thank you for your wishes that CIMA returns to its former self- and I am sure the clubs will get along well. I for one hope ypu post your meeting dates here- I am sure a lot of people will come. I agree that the idea of local clubs is best- it allows instant access to help that is needed. As a Mod said once before closing a thread- its not a contest. There is no reason for a positive conversation to become a debate over the merit of anyone trying to form a club.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by syrinx
Lowe- I know that you have read all my posts and have seen I support you 100% I thank you for your wishes that CIMA returns to its former self
I appologize its been along day I am bad with names, thanks to you also.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

SYRINX..... Will you email info on CIMA getting something together? Like I said, They have sent nothing but the first email after I joined. They still have their plans or fall 2006- spring2007 on here. Nothing new.. thanks.
Old 12/19/2007, 08:17 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fatheadfisheye
SYRINX..... Will you email info on CIMA getting something together? Like I said, They have sent nothing but the first email after I joined. They still have their plans or fall 2006- spring2007 on here. Nothing new.. thanks.
I would suggest a bit more patience. When any club starts up, usually in the beginning just a few folks get together to organize everything, then begin asking for members to get involved. I believe what Syrinx is suggesting is that CIMA may well be re-organizing. Once this is accomplished, I'm sure everyone will notified.

There are many reefers located in the C-U area. If you have questions or concerns or are in need of help, all you have to do is ask or make a post. Those of us available will be more than willing to help you out.
Old 12/19/2007, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

SYRINX are you now in charge of CIMA? Many of the main members that kept things going are gone so I think CIMA will basicly be starting from scratch.
Old 12/21/2007, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

True many of the main, original, contributing members of CIMA have left the area, hobby, or whatever, but CIMA won't have to start from scratch. There are still many very educated, dedicated, and concerned hobbyists left within the area. I'm confident that between the efforts of syrinx and a few others that CIMA will be back to operating as it once was.

Quote:
Originally posted by fatheadfisheye
Hey SYRINX. Are you a member of CIMA? I joined over a year ago and they havent done ANYTHING in that year.. Not one thing. No meetings, no emails... NOTHING.. Now that someone tries to get something together for people around here since CIMA does nothing, CIMA is in discussion to be something? Why would they wait till someone else tries to set up something for locals to share in the hobby? I doubt CIMA will be back for more than anything other than posters to a forum. If there is discussions, are they going to include all members in these discussions? Id like to know whats going on. Also, there is no forum for the club they are trying to form so they have cant post on one. I think they are trying to target the people they hope will be interested and those are the people that joined CIMA with hopes of being in a club.
Hey Fathead, as details about the reformation of CIMA become available they will be provided. It doesn't do any good to start drilling syrinx for answers when he doesn't even know what the questions are yet. Relax and enjoy your hobby.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soim34
There are still many very educated, dedicated, and concerned hobbyists left within the area.
Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by soim34 I'm confident that between the efforts of syrinx and a few others that CIMA will be back to operating as it once was.
Hope so, look forward to having an active local club.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

Hi all. If you are interested in being notified of the launch of the new RC club forum for the Springfield-Decatur, Illinois Reef Builders, PM me with your email address.

The Mods have asked for a list of address to send notifications to upon the launch of the forum.

Thanks!
Old 01/07/2008, 10:00 PM
Joliet Area Reef Club

Best of luck with the new club, hopefully JARC can do a frag swap with you all sometime!!!

Old 01/07/2008, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Sounds great!!!