Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

T-5 or PC bulbs for retrofit?

I have a 30gal tank set up, right now it as 2-20W regualr Flourescents. I want to get a few corals, mushrooms and anemoes, The model tank
I have is a Tropiquarum 88, It has a nice fiting lid and I would like to tank the lights in there now out and put something brighter in there. I have 30" of lenght to work with so I was thinking either 2 or 4, 24" T-5 bulbs or 96W of PC lighting. What will give me more useable light? less power consumption and less heat? thanks for the help, gets a bit confusing with the T-5's being so low wattage compared to the PC.

Here is a link to someone who did the same thing with the smaller
tank.
http://www.fishforums.net/lofiversio...p/t141889.html
Old 11/12/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

T5HO are much brighter then PC if good reflectors are used. Wattage doesn't have lot to do with output between different technologies typically. I would go with T5HO because it has a better future and much better bulb choices. You will also save money cause you will use less wattage for the same or greater output with T5HO. Do not get regular T5, make sure you are getting T5HO. Individual reflectors are what make T5HO such a good alternative so look for a setup with them
Old 11/13/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Lighting suggestions

What is the depth of a 30 gallon tank? Light output is inversely proportional to distance. If your tank is less than 2 feet tall, then I suggest about 1200 lumen per square foot.

Watts are not the important question - the real question is how much light are you getting at water level? A bulb may be more efficient at turning electricity into light, so watts are not a useful guide.

Second question is what is the PAR. Better PAR with a balanced spectrum produces a better aquatic environment.

Heat from the lights is likely to be an issue with 30 gallons - make sure you find a way of getting that heat away from the water.
Old 11/13/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

I'd go for T5. Less energy more PAR. Individual reflextor will provide more output and save in the long run. The anemone needs more light.
Old 11/13/2007, 07:19 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Just dont go putting too much PAR in that tank. The effects of too much light are almost worse than too little.

Without getting off track and talking about all the facets of lighting out there, Ill respond to your question directly. You wanted to know if you should go PC of T5s... well, thats a simple one. T5s 100%. Output per watt is about 2-3x as much with a T5 setup w/ individual parabolic reflectors as with PC's... so a 4x24wattT5 setup will be the best.

Here is a retro that would work:
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_...Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap
Old 11/13/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. My tank is only 18" deep at the most. Could I get away with the 2 bulb setup?
Old 11/13/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

Hahnmeister

You state:

"Without getting off track and talking about all the facets of lighting out there, Ill respond to your question directly. You wanted to know if you should go PC of T5s... well, thats a simple one. T5s 100%. Output per watt is about 2-3x as much with a T5 setup w/ individual parabolic reflectors as with PC's... so a 4x24wattT5 setup will be the best."

Have you tested that? My testing does not support your statements.

Regards,
Joe Ramirez
Old 11/13/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Re: Hahnmeister

Quote:
Originally posted by jcltok
You state:

"Without getting off track and talking about all the facets of lighting out there, Ill respond to your question directly. You wanted to know if you should go PC of T5s... well, thats a simple one. T5s 100%. Output per watt is about 2-3x as much with a T5 setup w/ individual parabolic reflectors as with PC's... so a 4x24wattT5 setup will be the best."

Regards,
Joe Ramirez

Care to elaborate on your testing?
Old 11/13/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

there have been many tests, search the forums. PC's are not anywhere near the output at the same wattage. The individual reflectors make all the difference in the world
Old 11/13/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

So where do I get individual reflectors for my PC setup?
Old 11/13/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

it's not the same, because of the design of the bulbs they block alot of their own light produced.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:51 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Re: Hahnmeister

Quote:
Originally posted by jcltok
You state:

Regards,
Joe Ramirez
I have tested T5s vs PC's, full 2d grid and all with the Apogee. The T5s blew the PC's away. If you arent getting the same results, then you are doing something very wrong to handicap the T5 results. T5s can compete with halides after all, PCs cant. T5s with just a flat reflector make more light than PCs with the same... about 50% more light. T5s with individual parabolic reflectors vs. parabolic reflectors for multiple bulbs at once concentrate the light about 2.5x as well. All in all... the T5s kill the PC's. So with a good T5 system, my finding is about 2-3x the output over PC's per watt.
Old 11/15/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

What is the best ballast to get to run the bulbs? I heard that icecap will over do it, and to not get a workhorse. For an 18" deep tank
do I need 4 lights or could I get by with 2 or 3?
Old 11/15/2007, 06:44 PM
El Jefe de WRS

The 'spec' T5 ballasts are made by the following:

Sylvania/OSRAM (QTP/Quicktronic series)
Vossloh Schwabe (division of Aromat>Panasonic>Matsu****a)
Universal Lighting
Advance Lighting

Much of the above appear to be made in the same factory as well... just badged differently for each mfg.