Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Chico Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/10/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Good Meeting this month!

I would like to thank everyone who showed up last night. it was a good meeting and especially to those who helped joel with his unfortunate situation. Another thanks to chris for his organization and presentations, i learned a bit from both. We had quite possibly our biggest meeting yet as far as attendance! and the best part in my mind was the sheer amount of new faces! i didnt know who half of you guys were and it was great. lets keep it up and keep the knowledge flowing!!

heres to the CRC
Old 11/10/2007, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

You didn't know who half of us were due to the self inflicted brain trauma of your youth!....

But seriously I have to ahree was another great meeting. The lasy few meetings have been good, otherwise I wouldn't be comming all the way down there right?

It was good to see some new faces, and hopefully the growth will continue, at this pace we will rival some of the bigger clubs with in a year, which is pretty damn impressive.

I know that Josh, Chris, Mellissa and Dan all have some great ideas for the direction of the club and from everything I have seen over the last couple of meetings, it is going to be fun to tag along. Makes me wish I lived closer so I could be a bit more involved, but at this point, I will just have to be satisfied with throwing out what ever tidbits I can.

Cheers!
Old 11/10/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

Last night's meeting was awesome. I was thrilled to see new faces and hope to see them again at the next meeting and maybe even more new faces.

It was unfortunate that Joel had to take his tank down like that but I think that we all feel for him and got some great deals on some unbelievable corals.

Our December meeting will be alot more casual as we are just going to be celebrating the holidays and talking to each other. For everyone that is new to this hobby (kind of like me) this sounds exciting because I can ask questions about things that I worry about.

So everyone tell anyone you can about the Chico Reef Club so we can get more people attending.

Old 11/11/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Thanks to everyone who came! Yes, it was good to see most of the people who have been coming to the meetings (thanks for the continuing support) but I was happily surprised to see so many new faces as well.

I sensed by the chatter during the meeting that the next meeting, a social meeting, will be a success as well. One thing I forgot to mention but is pretty obvious... in order for the kalk drip DIY thing to work... you need to place the kalk container above the to-be-dripped-into destination so gravity can do its thing.
As for me I have a sump which the bucket sits upon and drips into.

Thanks to Joel for allowing not only another wonderful tank viewing but I think we all got a chance to get some increadible corals. I'm sure whenevery you wish to return to the more time-dedicated corals, we that have had success with the adoption, will be able to share back with you.

Please, as Melissa said, pass on to everyone you know about the club. Mabye even if they don't have a tank because maybe the know somebody who does and desperately needs someone else to talk reef talk to.

I plan to order the 'club awareness' business cards this week so we'll have them by the next meeting for certain.

Also, please bring $25 to the next meeting and we'll begin creating an offical membership to the Chico Reef Club - Note: the website (www.chicoreefclub.com) membership is independant at this time.
Old 11/11/2007, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

That reminds me Chris, was the $25 per family, or per person? I know you mentioned it, but I missed it.

And perhaps a little info on where that $25 is going? I know a portion is going to setting us up as a non-profit inc. Seems like it might cost a bit.
Old 11/11/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

25$ for either. the funds will go to the setup of the non-profit, raffle goodies, luxurious penthouse suites in reno. you know the obvious stuff.
Old 11/11/2007, 11:04 PM
Premium Member

I can see prez, and VP sitting down at Centerfolds...discussing business of course, with my $25.....can we get some ones please?
Old 11/11/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

For just 7 cents a day, you can help feed a needy Reef Club.
Old 11/11/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

I think that you are all possibly out of your fricking minds and need some serious help.
Old 11/11/2007, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by missyshrout
I think that you are all possibly out of your fricking minds and need some serious help.
By saying "you are all" She meant "we all are"

And when she says "out of your fricking minds" she really means "Mellissa is buying corals for everyone at the next meeting!"
Old 11/11/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Yes, for one, the membership fees will cover the printing, lamanating expense of creating your membership cards.

Second, it may go to future events such as: club advertising, raffle equipment (ticket box), social event food/drink, speakers, web page fees, a loan source for hotdog/hamburger feed events, etc. I realize it's not cheap but then again for a year's dues it isn't bad. Afterall, many will spend nearly that much on a single pizza from Round Table. Also, for the most part, I believe that is the average price for membership to other reef clubs.

As I stated at the meeting, members will be allowed to:
1) participate in end of meeting raffles
2) participate in Frag Swaps (incl. other clubs - Except BAR)
3) be able to obtain discounts with LFS (pending)
4) be able to obtain discount of meal with Round Table on mtg night
5) be able to vote in club elections
There are more obviously but those are ones that stand out to me right now.

So after a few discounted meals with the mtg and a few purchases at your LFS with discount, the membership fee will most likely be covered.

I agree with Josh about the items above (especially the luxurious rooms at a get-a-way location).

Further, we officers decided the memberships will be on a calender year basis. Dues paid in November/December will include the next year. Jan - June of said year is still the same price. July-October will be discounted to $15. This way it allows the officers controlling membership to conduct the bulk of this work at one time.

Thanks for your questions as I'm sure there are others out there too. Let me know if I didn't explain anything clearly as I have sometimes been known to not be able to do that initially.
Old 11/11/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Twisted
By saying "you are all" She meant "we all are"

And when she says "out of your fricking minds" she really means "Mellissa is buying corals for everyone at the next meeting!"
wow, i thought lawyers could twist words. my hat off to you sir!
Old 11/11/2007, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kinghokus420
wow, i thought lawyers could twist words. my hat off to you sir!

Ummm....Twisted......hello? It's not just a state of mind, it's been personafied!
Old 11/11/2007, 11:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Chris, I actually feel that $25 dollars a year is very cheap, hell I play games that are like $15 to $20 dollars a month....

I figure at $20 dollars a meeting for pizza, then that saves me about $20 bucks a meeting with the members discount, so in 12 meetings I have saved $24 dollars right?

I think that $25 a member, plus the money Joel has just donated, and the money from the equipment sales Reef connection is offering, the club is getting in a really good postion to hold an event. If funds continue to grow I thin a frag swap just before summer will be easily with in reach.
Old 11/12/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Chris,

I have a question for you regarding the membership. Since Dan and I are both officers of the club, does that mean we both should pay the membership fee of $25.

I ask this because I remember you saying at the meeting that the fee covers the whole family. But Dan and I have a little bit of a different situation. He and I discussed it and would have no problem with each of us paying the membership fee.

Just looking for a little guidance from you and of course the rest of the club.
Old 11/12/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks Chris, I actually feel that $25 dollars a year is very cheap, hell I play games that are like $15 to $20 dollars a month....
I figured this would come up sooner or later.... what server and are you ally or horde?
Old 11/12/2007, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

Not WOW, I played it for a couple of months, but dropped it.

I usually end up beta testing more then pay to play these days, and right now I am not playing anything. Just got done testing Disneys Pirates of the Caribbean online.
Old 11/12/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Not WOW, I played it for a couple of months, but dropped it.

I usually end up beta testing more then pay to play these days, and right now I am not playing anything. Just got done testing Disneys Pirates of the Caribbean online.
Ah, nice. I play about 45 minutes to 2 hours of WoW a week... I don't have a computer set up at my house anymore due to my frustration with satellite internet. I used to be an addict though, I love that game. I'm guessing a number of our club members play WoW.
Old 11/12/2007, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

not me, im an xbox tiger woods fan. and when it comes out for mac im an unreal tournament fan.
Old 11/12/2007, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

nah, I am one of the MMORPG pioneers I have been testing these games since like '94.
Wow proved to be too easy for me when I hit lvl 45 on the third week.
Old 11/12/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Well since we've gone off topic about video games I'll chime in :-)

I'm a wii guy myself, playing online with the games I have that you can play online with.... TONS of fun!
Old 11/12/2007, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

Hey, I got a Wii at release, but hardly play it, I'll have to PM you my friend code at some point.
What games do you have that you can multi play on, I don't even know what I have anymore, I hardly play it.

Tylt33 I would suggest looking in www.mmorpg.com and looking into your upcomming options on games, a lot will put WoW to shame.
Looking forward to pirates of the Burning Sea myself, and Ages of Conan.
Old 11/12/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Wii here too.
Old 11/12/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

I have a Wii too, but I hadn't played it since a week or so before Christmas last year, until a week or so ago when Guitar Hero 3 came out. I don't think that I'll ever play a mmorpg again; I don't have the time or the internet connection for it anymore. And besides, my WoW char is the bomb.
Old 11/12/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Well I've got a number of wii games but the majority will only play on my system or a system like it (non-stock) if you catch my drift....

I play a lot of Mario Strikers Charged online and some NBA live online as well. I have a number of other games that are online capable I just don't play them as much to be good enough to play online.

I have probably about 15-20 games ATM but only play about 5 consistently. I need to get guitar hero 3 but I have #2 for the PS2 so I'm hesistant to pick it up for the wii at the price it's at....

Zelda has been my favorite single player game as of yet. with the component cables and the high def tv it looks pretty darn good.