Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/20/2007, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

man, i would love to have a trio.
Old 09/20/2007, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

2¼ years.

A group would be nice but I think I would want a bigger tank first.

Steve
Old 09/20/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Forgive me if this is a repost but I am at work and cant read the whole thread.

I am currently filling my 380 gallon (10'L x 24"W x 30"T) I would like to get a pair of Regals or even 3 if that is possible.

If I decide to get a pair should I hold out until I can find a mated pair for sale or do I just need to make sure I get a male and female?

Would it be possible for 2 females and 1 male to coexisist?

Thanks in advance for the information,

Stil
Old 09/21/2007, 06:56 AM
Registered Member

No, one was bought from Shear Heaven in Allentown.
Old 09/21/2007, 07:18 AM
More than meets the eye

Stil, I can't answer your question, but I'd suggest a bit more experience before adding this fish.
Old 09/21/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Stil,

I agree with Pito. This fish demands a saltwater hobbyist to have quite a bit of experience before keeping this fish. Even the most experienced hobbyist have difficulty keeping this fish. Personally, I would wait until you attempt this fish. I have over 10 yrs experience in this hobby and I am just getting to the point where I feel comfortable in keeping this fish. I followed this thread for 3 years and after reading other people's journey of keeping this fish, you learn what works and more importantly you learn what does not work. You can only gain this knowledge in time.

Sure, I have made my share of mistakes along the way, which is how one learns. I rather you learn with a less expensive fish than an regal angel which can go in the hundreds of dollars.

My .02
Kirk
Old 09/24/2007, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

I think as long as you can get them to eat flake, pellets, frozen, cyclop etc, they should survive. Also that there is not another fish in the tank beating the hell out of it.
Old 09/24/2007, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

double post
Old 09/24/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

We'll if everyone remembers i started back in Nov of last year with about a 4inch regal who eventually starved after a month from deciding not to eat anything. Then Just after xmas we picked up a monster eating baby about 2 inches. Everything was great. She didn't pick anything she wasn't supposed to and eat like no fish i have ever seen. The we got hit with vibrio and after 5 days of trying to save her we lost that battle

So last week we saw a 4 inch regal in the lfs where i had bought the other 2. They made sure she was eating the basics and i went in for another 2 days and made sure she was eating wonderfully everything i sent her way. Brought her home and she was like no regal angel i have read or had. She was instantly out front and actually pushing my Naso tang around. Didn't back down once. She suddenly and quickly ruled the tank

BUT she then decided she liked everything in my tank. And i mean everything to eat,clams,sps,softies. All of it.
Not suprising that is what they eat in the wild. So i had to send her to a new home last night. Sad but i am happy she went to a good home and that we did succeed again just not for our tank.

So i think i am done. I figure i had my shot at the eat only prepared food and we lost her.

Just my whining for the day.

Thanks for listening

Lisa
Old 09/24/2007, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bradleyj
This helps alot.

Trying not to steal the thread but what a great skimmer....
Old 10/02/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Exclamation

FYI,

Foster and Smith has Reg Sea regals in stock for $99.99.

Red Sea Regal

Don Imus
Old 10/02/2007, 10:10 AM
Keeper of Tangs

I have had my regal for over 3 months. shes been awesome. Eats flake, mysis, raw shrimp, Pellets, nori and even romaine. She is pretty bold as far as the go to. I have a fingers crossed,because I have never seen a more beautiful fish. Good luck out there guys.
Old 10/02/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

Just hit one mark with my Red Sea female....

Nick
Old 10/02/2007, 10:48 AM
Moved Onward

Wow, that's pricey. What is the going rate for these fish at lfs'?

I picked up my medium sized red sea at my lfs for $49.99, much cheaper than they had their purple tangs and koran angels.

"The Conference of Champions"

359 NCAA titles and counting!

2nd Best, The Big 10 with a distant 212 titles

PAC 10 FOOTBALL is 9-6 against the SEC since the turn of the century!
Old 10/02/2007, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

50 IS VERY VERY GOOD
Old 10/02/2007, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

I paid $125 for mine a little over a year ago. $50 bucks is a steal providing you got it from a reputable store.
Old 10/02/2007, 06:13 PM
Keeper of Tangs

yeah 50 buck is an unbelievable deal!!! I paid 80 for mine from another reefer, hes a red sea. But that is cheap. Red sea regals here in florida can go from 90-150 range.
Old 10/02/2007, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Old Yeller Tang, Thanks for the info. You lucked out because I went to that LFS and they wanted $100 for the Red Sea Regal Angel. I was going to get it though but it did not eat. It was 5" though so maybe that is why its more.

In anyone in S. California see a eating, healthy Red Sea Regal, PM me and let me know. Im still looking for one
Old 10/03/2007, 02:41 AM
Moved Onward

Yeah, mine is about 3.5" and when they said $49.99, I said bag it up!
That lfs is ran by 3 brothers and unless the tanks are marked with prices, you'll get a different price from each brother. I'll stop by tomorrow and see what they're asking for this one.

Old 10/03/2007, 02:39 PM
Moved Onward

Quote:
Originally posted by thor32766
yeah 50 buck is an unbelievable deal!!! I paid 80 for mine from another reefer, hes a red sea. But that is cheap. Red sea regals here in florida can go from 90-150 range.
I would definitely pay $80 for one that's already acclimated to captivity and eating well. Hard for me to fork out big bucks for a wild caught fish that you have no clue if it's gonna make it when you bring it home but that goes with any fish for me even though I did fork out some bucks for a mystery wrasse and pep hog.

Pardon my poor photography skills. The regal tang next to it is slightly longer than 5".

Old 10/03/2007, 04:55 PM
Keeper of Tangs

hes a beauty and great deal!
Old 10/03/2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Got my "over priced" LOL yellow bellied regal today from liveaquaria. He's between 5 1/2 & 6 inches long. Very nice. With a no questions asked, 15 day guarantee it makes it worth the price. I'm happy with what I got and I guess thats what matters.

Don Imus
Old 10/09/2007, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

Got my definitely overpriced gray-belly from the LiveAquaria Diver's Den about a month and a half ago. I took the overpricing in exchange for what I knew would be a healthy, well eating fish. Little did I know I'd get a regal that would eat everything I throw at him. Hooray for me.
Oddly, despite my initial impression otherwise, I'm actually starting to lean with a preference towards the gray-bellies. The yellow-bellies are almost TOO yellow and bright for my tastes. The lack of contrast seems to detract from the rest of them... but perhaps I've just become "acclimated" to my little guy.
Here he is:
Old 10/10/2007, 06:13 AM
Registered Member

I paid $149 delivered for my Regal about 2 years ago. IMO, I would pay it again for a healthy fish that is eating well. Money well spent vs. the agravation and greif of losing a "bargain" fish is well worth it. Not saying that all Regals bought at "a deal" are bad, but there has got to be something said about a good, conditioned fish. I guess it is all a matter of personal opinion.

My Regal continues to do great and eats anything offered. It has become the "dog" of my tank. It eats from my hand and approaches the glass looking for a snack every time I get near the tank.
Old 10/10/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

I ordered a Red Sea/Maldives yellow throated Regal Angel from Liveaquaria last week. They erroneously sent me a pretty large blue throated Indo-Pacific specimen. Needless to say I was not happy. To their credit, they gave me a full refund. I am curently trying my best to get the fish to eat but so far no luck. The fish appears to be perfectly healthy but just doesn't "get" eating food from the water column so far. Tonight I will try a fresh clam on the half shell. Does anybody know if the blue throated Indo-Pacific Regals have any greater tendency to nip at corals?