Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/04/2007, 12:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by asmodeus
I'm waiting
Sorry my friend, there's nothing new to show, alas. I guess I could take pics of the tank room itself, since I have made some changes there. But Bertha herself has the same fish, with a lot more hair algae growing everywhere.

I did promise I would detail some of my "grunt work" that I got out of the way today. Let's do that:

First, all the Aquatronica probes and cables are too short. Some of them use standard USB connectors (but not USB voltages or protocols; beware), but a lot use these little two- or four-pin connectors. I have been slowly cutting these up and splicing in much longer cables, heat-shrinking the solder points, and taping everything back up nice and purty. I got the temp probes extended today so now there's actually enough length for them to stay in the tank without looking like a clothesline.

Second, I've been disappointed with my skimmer's position in the room. Without one of those pictures you asked about, asmodeus, it's hard to explain why it sucks... but I put it in a spot that wasn't ideal. So, today, I replumbed it and moved a couple feet over. Now I can walk around to my sump without tripping over a gaggle of power cords and accidentally unplugging something!

Unfortunately, in the process of doing that, something weird happened with the halides: five of them turned off all at once. I have no idea how that works: there are a total of six, and three each are on separate 15A circuits. I would have expected a breaker to trip and to lose three or six. In fact, no breaker tripped, and five went off all at once. I haven't tried to debug it yet... at the moment I'm not too concerned because I kinda want to kill the lights for a few days and cut down on the energy input to the hair algae. Tomorrow I will figure out what's up with that. Very weird.

Add in a bunch of time spent putzing around with weak Tunze magnet mounts (and some diving to the bottom of the tank to pick them up when I kept dropping them) and that about uses up four hours of quality time. Strangely enough, it was pretty fun.

Ben
Old 08/04/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Are you going to put 7 yellows or do half purple half yellow in your Zebramosa school? Can't wait to see that!
Your halides might be getting to hot at the ballast and the ballast is turning them off. Is there a fan on the ballast to keep them cool possibly.
Old 08/04/2007, 10:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ruby1sam
Are you going to put 7 yellows or do half purple half yellow in your Zebramosa school? Can't wait to see that!
Good question! I'm partial to both colors, and a mix would be neat. I'll have to see what the sellers have available, I think. I don't have a super-strong preference.

Quote:
Your halides might be getting to hot at the ballast and the ballast is turning them off. Is there a fan on the ballast to keep them cool possibly.
Yeah, you'd think that might be it -- except each lamp has its own independent ballast. And to lose five of them all at once, but not six, and two on one circuit and three on another, is just weird. Anyway, I turned them on this morning and everything seems normal. I don't know how I managed to trip five of them. I hope it doesn't happen again!

Ben
Old 08/05/2007, 12:19 AM
g0t fIsH

what size gauge wire and amp for each circuit?
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/05/2007, 12:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
what size gauge wire and amp for each circuit?
One circuit is 15A and the other is 20A. Each supports 3x400W ballasts. My meter says the ballasts steady-state draw is pretty much exactly 10A as I'd expect.

The wire gauge is some varied, since there's a 12AWG cord running to the relay's power cord, which is certainly smaller, and then a slightly thinner (not sure the gauge off the top of my head) extension cord delivering the power to the ballasts. All of the cords' packaging indicated 15A or greater capacity. The relays are rated to 15A as well, so presumably their cords are sufficient.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the controller shut down power to both relays for a short moment, and maybe one of the six halides managed to stay powered up and the others failed to re-strike? Seems like a low-probability event though. I've never tried hot-starting these lamps, but I know on my video projector that would be a big no-no... and the control circuitry wouldn't let it even attempt to re-fire.

Ben
Old 08/05/2007, 01:02 AM
g0t fIsH

3 400w on each circuit is a lot IMO. you also have to remember that when peak current draw on MH will probably trip both circuits easy. i know for sure before i tested 3 400w MH on 12awg with 20a which trip my circuit 2hrs later when it finally powered up at peak. PFO 400w HQI ballast on 14k hamilton is what i am using. on mine i used 10awg romex 30a each circuit for 3 MH. the rule of thumb is to always have 133 times over the current draw, better to be safe then sorry. 12 awg is recommend to have max 20a. what controller are you running again?
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/05/2007, 01:09 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
3 400w on each circuit is a lot IMO. you also have to remember that when peak current draw on MH will probably trip both circuits easy. i know for sure before i tested 3 400w MH on 12awg with 20a which trip my circuit 2hrs later when it finally powered up at peak. PFO 400w HQI ballast on 14k hamilton is what i am using. on mine i used 10awg romex 30a each circuit for 3 MH. the rule of thumb is to always have 133 times over the current draw, better to be safe then sorry. 12 awg is recommend to have max 20a. what controller are you running again?
Hey Bart,

I have a meter that lets me measure time-integrated draw. Technically there could be a weird "peak draw" perhaps at ballast start-up that my meter couldn't see. But I think most circuits and circuit breakers are designed to handle significant transient spikes. In any event, my 5-lamp failure occurred in steady-state... the lights had been on all day.

When you start talking about Romex, I think in-wall wiring. I don't know what wire was used for those runs, but my electrician is pretty good, so I'm sure it's the appropriate gauge for 20A. I do know that it's likely the gauge of my extension cords is at some point smaller than what's in the wall.

I'm using an Aquatronica controller, replete with numerous bugs that technical support has not yet helped me figure out. The parts that do work, work GREAT. The rest is a mess of Italy/language barrier/time delay/no dedicated customer service issues. I guess it's fortunate I'm not in a hurry. I do feel inclined to continue to complain until AQ gets its act together and empowers someone to provide us quality technical support more reliably in the U.S.

Ben
Old 08/05/2007, 01:18 AM
g0t fIsH

the extension cords will not be a problem, i guess just keep an eye out for it to see if it happened again and if it does i will tried 30a breaker just for a day or so to see if the problem is in that area. what ballast are you running again? yeah i was scared to get the aquatronica since one of the RC sponsor told me i'm better off getting the neptune system. hopefully you can find out the problem but you will have to do some trouble shoot yourself to figure it out. whats the count on chromis and hows the water condition?
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/05/2007, 01:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
the extension cords will not be a problem, i guess just keep an eye out for it to see if it happened again and if it does i will tried 30a breaker just for a day or so to see if the problem is in that area. what ballast are you running again? yeah i was scared to get the aquatronica since one of the RC sponsor told me i'm better off getting the neptune system. hopefully you can find out the problem but you will have to do some trouble shoot yourself to figure it out. whats the count on chromis and hows the water condition?
Yeah, I'm going to keep a close eye on it. I really hope I don't end up having to switch to 30A circuits; none of the existing ones are spec'ed that large.

The chromis seem stable at 11 now. I think there've been eleven for a whole 10 or 12 days, at least. I tested the water again tonight:

pH 8.1
density 1.025
NH4/NO2/NO3 0/unmeasurable

I'll start testing KH, calcium, and phosphate soon.

Now that I've closed the window and trusted the env controller to keep the room at around 80F/60% humidity or less, temperature stability is better and evaporative loss is lower, even though it is still peak summertime temps here with highs in the mid-80's outside. The next temp hurdle will be seeing if Bertha can stay warm in the considerably-more-challenging depth-of-winter weeks.

Ben
Old 08/05/2007, 07:06 AM
Wish coral grew faster

Wow, simply an amazing set up. Thats the kind of tank you could sell tickets too see.
Old 08/05/2007, 09:47 AM
Weed Reefer

Jumping aboard....
Old 08/05/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

good stuff so far!
Old 08/05/2007, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

Even I was impressed with how fast the tank cleared out after the intense cleaning and vacuuming of yesterday. Amazing what a dose of filter floss, carbon, and bonzo skimming will do! The vis is quite good today -- to get it much better I will have to eliminate most of the algae and probably ozonize the thing, I'm guessing.

I'm leaving on a week-long work/wedding trip and so is the wife. So Chaco and Bonzo will have to take care of the fishies! That and our dog-sitter-and-now-fish-sitter.

Next week if luck holds maybe I will add another swarm of fish... ?!

Ben
Old 08/17/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Amazing setup, lots of work. Looking forward to updates!
Registered Member

Registered Member

Old 08/18/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

wow, a TRIPLE post :P
Old 08/18/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

haha yeah its so nice i have to say it 3 times!
Old 08/20/2007, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Wow, this is quite the tank build. I abosolutely love how the tank is positioned in your wall, and think I may try to encorporate something similar in my own home.

What I did want to mention is in regards to Tabitha. If she is from Hawaii, the red in her doral fin is probably normal. Many yellow tangs from Hawaii do have a red-orange coloring in the webbing of their dorsal fins. I couldn't really make out what red you were taking about in the previous photos, but I'm thinking this may be what you were refering to.

I'm excited to see how things progress for you. I think you've done a phenomenal job so far, and its probably only going to get better!
Old 08/20/2007, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michika
What I did want to mention is in regards to Tabitha. If she is from Hawaii, the red in her doral fin is probably normal. Many yellow tangs from Hawaii do have a red-orange coloring in the webbing of their dorsal fins. I couldn't really make out what red you were taking about in the previous photos, but I'm thinking this may be what you were refering to.
Thank you all for your kind comments. Yes, Tabitha is from Hawaii, and after a bunch of comments by others here and having looked at other pictures of these fish, I came to the same conclusion -- it's probably normal. Interestingly, I believe that it has reduced somewhat over the last few weeks as she has gotten settled in. She has the place to herself for now, but that's because I can't find someone who can send me four or five purple tangs at this point.

Ben
Old 08/20/2007, 04:26 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

A group of purple tangs! Nice choice for a tank of this size! Challenging but not too crazy!
Old 08/20/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bbrantley
She has the place to herself for now, but that's because I can't find someone who can send me four or five purple tangs at this point.
Isn't that always the case, as soon as you need something its nowhere to be found!
Old 08/20/2007, 05:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bax
A group of purple tangs! Nice choice for a tank of this size! Challenging but not too crazy!
Although I'd love to take credit, the idea came from others in this very thread. I think it's super-cool... but I am wary of being able to get that many same-sized tangs in one fell swoop. I'm willing to be patient, I suppose....

Ben
Old 08/20/2007, 05:09 PM

Ben,

You could put in an order to LA and stipulate you want x number at whatever size you feel comfortable with. Then you gettheir arive alive guarantee too. Then they can get your order together and shipped them at one time. Just a thought!
Old 08/20/2007, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

You might check out Aqua Imports. Mike handles placing special orders for me and lets me pick them up while they're still in the bags from the wholesaler.

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats